AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize, as I'm sure this has been covered before in other posts, but I haven't been able to find them. Thanks in advance for any help.

I recently moved to Winston-Salem, NC, and subscribed to Time Warner Cable's digital service. I noticed in the program guide that several stations are listed as being available in HD. Obviously, the Scientific-Atlanta Explorer 2100 they brought me doesn't offer HDTV output, but does TWC actually offer HDTV cable boxes here?

I figured I'd ask here, with a knowledgeable audience, before I called TWC directly. Given my previous experience with cable operators, I'm not sure I'd be able to get a customer-service rep who understood my question.

Thanks again for any help.

·
Registered
623 Posts
To my knowledge only Raleigh and Charlotte have HD cable at the current time. The triad does not have yet nor will it in the near future. Your best bet for HD would be to get an OTA box and a decent UHF antenna and see if you can pick up the local digital stations. You might be able to pick up the Roanoke and Charlotte stations as well. Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
WRAL in Raleigh was THE leader in HD thinking, making HD an option in their CABLE carriage contract. The Cable Contracts are coming up again - I think next year.... Until that time, I doubt TW will voluntarily add the local digital channels.

BIG PROBLEM - do you want to waste your resources on UP-CONVERTED analog material? From my point of view as a consumer - NONE of the local broadcasts I have had the opportunity to view (WFMY, WXLV, WUPN, WUNL and WDBJ/Roanoke), justify the expense I made in HD home equipment.

Mark Cubin's HDNet really makes HD look good. My Progressive DVD makes my equipment look good.

As more of the TV Networks carry HD material, the local stations must be equipped to pass the HD material. THEN, the program must be worthy of watching - CBS has plenty of HD material - I'm not interested in their programs - I'm TOO young!

CHICKEN & EGG......

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help. I expected as much. I've got a Sony SAT-HD100 I used at my old place (where I had DirecTV,) so I might break that out and try to use it as an OTA box and see what I can pull in. Thanks again.

·
Registered
175 Posts
One question to those of us in the Raleigh area. .Has anyone actually recieved one of the HD ready cable boxes? I've been on the waiting list for 6 months, and I keep on getting the run around when I call. Far as I'm concerned time warner HD in the Raleigh area is just a marketing ploy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.