AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm scheduled to replace my Time Warner digital cable (scientific atlanta) with a Hi-def box from Time warner. My question is will the showstopper (30hr unit) work without any problems?

Thanks, Neal

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Only if the receiver box has a standard output (ie S-Video or composite). There is no input on the Replay/Showstopper for a digital or HD signal.

I'm sure others here who have HD setups can tell you how they do use the Replay in their systems, but pretty much you'll be watching a standard video signal out of the Replay.

The bigger question for me is: Time Warner Hi-Def?

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
If you're asking if you can use your HiDef signal on your TV and still use the showstopper to pause, record, etc., yes and no. Yes you can but it won't be HiDef! So if you will be using Showstopper for all of your viewing (as most of us do), it's probably a waste to get the HiDef setup. Even if you think it's worth it for say, the superbowl, it means you can't PAUSE the superbowl (which is awesome :))

·
Registered
331 Posts
In my setup, one of the advantages of having the high def receiver output to the Replay is the recording of HD channels in widescreen format. When a 16:9 show comes on, your Replay will record it in 480i mode, but the image shape will be retained.

As for using a high def setup with a Replay, the only down side is that you must return to the world of scheduled programming (unless your TV can connect to a DVHS recorder) whenever you wish to view high def material.

Alternatively, with the HTPC solution, you could add Replay style functionality to an HTPC with a high def card installed. The down side here is that it would not work with your Time-Warner cable.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Do a search on "Explorer 3100" --

over in the HDTV boards, we've discussed this topic in detail. Basically, the setup and settings and everything with the Explorer 3100HD is identical to the Explorer 2000 -- the one thing is you can't record from the high definition channels.

Joe

·
Registered
193 Posts
With the 3100HD (or the 2000HD, for that matter), HD channels are not downconverted at the S-Video or composite output. You get analog sound, but no 480i pic. Therefore, you cannot record any of the HD channels.

I've been using the 3100HD and Showstopper for a while. One thing I can say- the combo has NEVER missed a channel change!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.