AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looks like time warner/zap2it changed the names of both the digital & basic cable lineups

my showstopper had no channel guide after its 2am download...had to go into setup & select a new cable provider

4040 hadn't connected yet...forced a connection & it then informed me my cable provider had changed...selected correct lineup & it downloaded what looks to be more or less new channels

nitpicks:

-if i'd been out of town no shows would have recorded

-now i've got to go back into setup and remove all those digital channels again

·
Registered
13 Posts
Same thing happened to me, but after changing providers and also doing a force connect I still don't have channel guide info past the next 24 hours.

I also have a bunch of messages about "obsolete replay channels". It looks like there's one for every channel I've got programmed. I just tried another force connect with no luck. This is on a Showstopper 3000 with an upgraded drive. Any ideas?

Marco

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my showstopper ran out of memory the first time i did it (upgraded long before large clusters)...i deleted a few channels, then cleared the channel guide to force it to reboot

after it reboots go into setup to change your cable provider & it should dial out

·
Registered
841 Posts
Here in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles, the same thing happend to my ShowStopper - I lost the Channel Guide and I had a raft of messages telling me all of the channels I was using for recording programs were obsolete.

I went into setup and it appeared that I had lost the settings that told the software what was connected to my ShowStopper - Time Warner Cable to the CATV connector and nothing to the video input jacks. After telling it that I had TW Cable on the CATV connector, it then successfully downloaded the Channel Guide and program information. To make sure, I also forced a call-in update. All is well now.

Bye. :cool:

·
Registered
189 Posts
The same thing happened to me also. See http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=198645

I am in Bellaire, not Houston, but TWC has mostly the same lineup and we both suffered the same problem Saturday afternoon.

Had I been out of town I would have missed everything. Some advance warning should be given before doing something like this. Do you think it was zap2it or SB that caused the problem?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I also got the out of memory message the first two times I tried. I unplugged the machine for awhile and then tried again. It worked this time.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by empyle
The same thing happened to me also. See http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=198645

I am in Bellaire, not Houston, but TWC has mostly the same lineup and we both suffered the same problem Saturday afternoon.
sorry, next time i'll use the thread title "Time Warner Houston Bellaire Memorial Heights Montrose Midtown West-U people - check your channel guide"

as for who's fault - zap2it/time warner all the way, sonicblue has nothing to do with this one...but i would like to see it default to the prior cable lineup when this happens in the future

·
Registered
189 Posts
Many of the small towns in and around Houston (Bellaire is one of these) actually have different lineups from TWC. The Replay listings are granular enough to distinguish this by zip code.

My post was only meant to indicate that perhaps all the towns around Houston were also affected by this TWC shuffle (although I can only speak for Bellaire).

And I agree that the Replay box should be smart enough to keep the previous lineup and continue using it. In my case the previous lineup was still working until my box contacted the mothership; then, suddenly, everything was obsolete and all recording stopped.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
whoops, there was supposed to be a ":p" at the end of "Time Warner Houston Bellaire Memorial Heights Montrose Midtown West-U people - check your channel guide"

·
Registered
286 Posts
I didn't notice this until last night because I had disconnected my replay from the internet to do some rewiring. Now I'm thinking it's a good idea to keep it disconnected all the time and just do manual connects when I know it's safe. This would've saved me from that problem I saw a ways back where all the newer replays were deactivated because the authorization server was down or something.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by scottamus
...Now I'm thinking it's a good idea to keep it disconnected all the time and just do manual connects when I know it's safe.
You know, that's one way to play it safe.

What's next? Never leaving the house to reduce odds of getting hit by a bus?

And of course you'd certainly better stop watching TeeVee @ once. Just because. No reason. :p

·
Registered
75 Posts
I only connect once a week or so, so this just hit me last week. See my post on "What happened to the FAQ!?!" to see my new problem. By having to reconfigure, I have to tweak my GI DCT-2000 cable box IR blaster settings again, but the FAQ is down so I can't get the settings. How annoying! I wrote that post during the download, and after it finished it appears that the blaster is still working even though I'ms ure the custom settings must have been lost - or not? Any insight into this would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
on my friend's showstopper when i choose the new time-warner lineup it went right to the 'custom code' which i just kept...after the download his ir blaster worked fine...same cable box

my 4160 did the same thing

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.