Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Houstonians!

We need to complain to TWC. San Antonio has all the cool STB's from Scientific Atlanta, ie 3100HD and the new 8000 PVR.

We are stuck with the archaic motorola boxes! I had the hd200, go rid of it because of service problems, bought a new house and trying to decide the best way for HD again.

If we acquired on the the SA boxes could it work??

Anyway TWC needs to get with the program 3rd largest city in the world with the oldest technology.

I'm finished now.

Mike

·
Registered
154 Posts
TWC's technology roll out strategy is hard to understand at times. At first I thought my market (Honolulu) had a slight advantage since being smaller, we provided an eaiser testbed for new systems. We got HD after FL and your neighbors in Austin/San Antonio, but luckily we dodged the 2100HD boxes and started with the 3100HD's

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I more thank likely will still have TWC in the new house next week. I have 5 TV's in the house 3 will be HD monitors. I can't see spending 2000 in STB's that I can rent for 5 bucks a piece.

Scientific Atlanta's website was pretty cool with the new 8000 for PVR.

Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mkelley71

I more thank likely will still have TWC in the new house next week. I have 5 TV's in the house 3 will be HD monitors. I can't see spending 2000 in STB's that I can rent for 5 bucks a piece.

Scientific Atlanta's website was pretty cool with the new 8000 for PVR.

Mike
Warner has been testing new boxes in the Clear Lake area...

But, when you call their offices, the dumbasses who work there have no idea what you're talking about if you ask them who maes the new equipment!

They're supposed to roll them out this year

(they also have no plans to carry any additional local HD channels)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Recently called TWC to see what brand of HD Tuner is available and I was told they were using General Instruments. They also have the General Instrument box on display at 290 and Tidwell office.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am bringing this thread back to life with good news: TW Houston now has the Motorola DCT-5100 HD boxes. This one unit will replace both your digital cable box and the horribly outdated POS General Instruments/Motorola HDD-200 box.

They apparently only have a few in stock, but a friend of mine in Pearland who recently signed-up for TWHD received the new box after having many problems in the few days he had the old one.

I called up customer service and insisted on getting the new model as well. When the installer came out, he wondered where I heard about the new boxes because they are only supposed to be for new customers now and in about two months they will start upgrading old customers... unless you call and ask for it! :D

Anyway, it is a nice box that switches channels (including between HD and non-HD) without the annoying couple second dropout. There are other pluses as well, but you can search here for the many threads on the DCT5100. Here is a good FAQ though: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/miatasm/HT/5100FAQ.htm

Now if we could just get a HD / PVR box. :rolleyes:

-Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
I called Time Warner and they are charging the $49.99 installation fee to upgrade the box to the motorola. Were you able to get around this or did you have to pay the fee?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was not charged another installation fee. Of course, I initially told them I needed the new box because the old one was unacceptable quality, i.e. 2-3 sec. delay changing channels, poor SD channel upconversion, etc. If they tried to charge me for HD install again, I would have told them the first $49.99 fee was outrageous to begin with. Tell them you would be more than happy to stop by your local office and switch out the boxes yourself.

An added bonus is now I am only charged $7.50 /month for "HDTV Remote Converter" instead of $6 for the digital box and $5 for the HD box.

Good luck. I know how difficult if can be dealing with some of the TW idiots. Just keep calling back until you get a friendly/knowledgeable one.;)

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Does anyone know if TWC will offer a transcoder box for those of us that require RGBHV for our display device?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I called them back and was able to get the installation fee waved. The call center woman wasn't going to do it until I started complaining about how bad the other box was.

Only thing is that I will have to hook it up myself, which shouldn't be a problem at all.

·
Registered
33 Posts
TAMU,

I would have preferred self-install to begin with; see my post on this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=211456

The tech that came out with the newest HD box was slightly more understanding of HDTV, but he just stood and watched me change the boxes out myself. He did not even know how to get to the menu to change the output of the box! :rolleyes: And made various clueless comments like, "You definitely should hook up the digital optical cable because it sounds way better than the coax." :eek: *sigh*

Regardless, I am just happy to finally have a newer generation box.

-Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
DavidHall,

How did you get the HD rental fee of $7.50?

I just recently signed up and they gave me Motorola DCT5100, but my first billing statement still had $5 for digital cable and $6 for HD.

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Dolley.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Dolley,

I did not know how the box rental fee would change. But since they picked up both my digital box and the old HD box when they gave me the DCT5100, I figured I would go from two box fees to one. Sure enough, like I said above, the next month my statement showed $7.50 /month for "HDTV Remote Converter" instead of $6 for the digital box and $5 for the HD box.

I would call customer service and ask why you are being charged twice for one box. Or you could wait one more billing cycle to see if it sorts itself out.

Good luck,

Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just made the call to C.S. at TW and the rep. changed it w/ $7.50 rental w/o a problem.

Thanks David for your postings...and hopefully others will see this as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone have occassional problems like:

No sound, No i-control, No-guide, Cannot turn channel, ...simultaneously or one at a time with the new Motorola DCT5100 tuner/decoder?

Perhaps it's just my cable line.

Please let me know if you have these occassional problems as well.

Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dolley7777
Does anyone have occassional problems like:

No sound, No i-control, No-guide, Cannot turn channel, ...simultaneously or one at a time with the new Motorola DCT5100 tuner/decoder?

Perhaps it's just my cable line.

Please let me know if you have these occassional problems as well.

Thanks.
Absolutley I have those same problems. Sometimes mine will lock up and I will have to wait perhaps 3 to 5 minutes sometimes for the channel to change, and then the sound won't come in until a couple of more minutes.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by elvisonit
Absolutley I have those same problems. Sometimes mine will lock up and I will have to wait perhaps 3 to 5 minutes sometimes for the channel to change, and then the sound won't come in until a couple of more minutes.
That's ridiculous. I was going to try and get one but now I don't know. :mad:

I do have one question about them though. Do y'all know if it will downconvert the HD channels to svideo? i.e. can I watch the HD channel in SD? (It's for my Replay)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've got a Mitsubishi WS-B55, which is supposed to be able to recieve unscrambled Quadrature Amplitude Modulated (QAM) signals. Right now I'm using an antenna and a lovely tree blocks any satellite signal so I'm considering going to digital cable. I want to use it without a set-top box to avoid conversion to analog (that's why I haven't already gotten digital cable).

My understanding is that Time Warner Houston uses QAM, but since the HD signals are part of an add-on package I'm wondering if they are scrambled. I just called the sales office and they can't provide me with an IEEE 1394 box; didn't they sign a Memorandum of Understanding that they would?

If it works, is there anything else the STB provides that I just couldn't live without?

-Grant

·
Registered
86 Posts
I seemed to have a LOT better Picture Quality with the "two box system".

Even factoring in all of the other features of the the "two box system" such as faster channel surfing , Dolby Digital on other programming other than HD only, and the obvious space saving "one box" setup. I still prefer the former for the "PQ". Any body else in the same boat? or am I doing something else wrong?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.