AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, got the same call, slated for Monday setup.

1. Yes, it functions like current digital boxes. It may be more convenient to watch everything via the component outputs, but previous reports from users here indicate that would be a mistake. It's better to view the analog channels via an RF or composite output (employing your set's comb filter); digital NTSC channels (already color/lumina separated) via S-video; HDTV channels via RGBHV or YPrPb.

Sounds tedious and it might be possible to combine the first two viewing methods; that is, watch all standard NTSC via S-video. But if you encounter dot crawl, especially along colored horizontal lines, and other visual interference on analog channels, using your set's comb filter (via RF or composite inputs) may help.

2. Devise a method to keep using your DTC-100, assuming you have OTA reception. It'll be a while before TWC carries all the HDTV channels. What if a happy ConEd worker rips out your cable line? Think I'll avoid the 4:3/16:9 thing. I bought a 16:9 set last year because that's the HDTV format and the best DVDs provide that, too.

3. I'll be losing the progressive DVD input to my set (component inputs) when I plug in either a 3-wire or a 5-wire connection from TWC's converter. But I also have a 15-pin VGA input that internally, to the set's electronics, is the same as a 5-wire RGBHV hookup. Seems likely, for many cable converter hookups, you could use a cable available in many computer stores. It has 5 BNC-connection cables at one end (which would, most likely, require 5 RCA-to-BNC adapters from Radio Shack or elsewhere), and a 15-pin plug at the other end. A transcoder involves additional signal processing that can add noise or reduce higher signal frequencies. TWC's converters, if similar to those previously issued, can be changed by an internal jumper for either RGBHV or 3-wire component hookup.

4. I've been planning to compare 8-VSB HDTV via cable (current use) versus 256 QAM HDTV via cable (next Monday). On my set, with its built-in HDTV tuner, it'll be a matter of selecting different on-screen menus. Shouldn't be much harder for other setups, until, as you might expect, TWC drops the 8-VSB HDTV channels (CBS, HBO) to avoid duplication and save bandwidth.

5. I'll add my own query. There's a rumor that TWC has added ABC to its converter lineup. But since ABC has virtually zero HDTV, and WNET (PBS) is delivering tons of it, including last night's "Runaway Universe," why wouldn't NYC's TWC immediately put WNET-DTV into its HDTV selections? Especially since last year Time Warner and PBS signed a formal nationwide agreement for PBS stations to be carried by cable--with appropriate 'loopholes' built in, of course. -- John

[This message has been edited by John Mason (edited 07-25-2001).]

·
Registered
144 Posts
I know Time Warner's HDTV has been covered a lot here in the forum, but I had a couple of last questions as I finally received a call that I would be receiving an HDTV box from them.

1. I know that the HDTV channels are in the 700s. Does the box function normally like the standard box? In other words, I won't have to switch from CABLE to HDTV on my television to see these channels. That certainly will be more convenient.

2. Also, I have a Loewe Aconda, which only takes the HDTV input through the VGA port (15 pin connector, I believe). I have been using a DTC-100 so far (not sure what I will do with that thing). In any event, I believe that the HDTV input thru the VGA does not allow you to change the format (to spread from 4:3 to 16:9) or aspect ratio. I am pretty sure this is the case. Does this mean that all non-HDTV channels will be viewable only in 4:3. If that is the case, would it also be possible to output from the back of the box via a coax cable or composite cables (i.e. to my Tivo, if I can ever get it to work consistently), such that I can view the regular cable channels and spread them out into 16:9. I hope that makes sense.

3. Also, since my TV only accepts HDTV thru the VGA port, and the Scientific Atlanta boxes only output HDTV through component cables, I know I need to use a transcoder. I have the one from Loewe. Has anyone had any experiences good or bad?

4. Finally, can anyone tell me how the HDTV picture via the box compares to the one run through the cable into the DTC-100 (only CBS and HBO). Are there any problems with the box?

Thanks in advance.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.