AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here know why TWC is not carrying the NBC or CBS affiliate out of Cleveland, both stations are broadcasting OTA, so it would not appear to be an issue on the broadcasters end. TWC is carrying the ABC and FOX affiliates though.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

· Registered
786 Posts
That's funny. I'm starting to believe this is TWC choice to not carry these because so many different areas have the same channels while all other areas that have CBS and NBC have everything else. If you don't have CBS you don't have much and if you have CBS you have everything else too. Just so you know I have Time Warner Cable (Now Bright House Networks as of April 1, 2003 and no it's not an April fools joke just in case you might of thought of that) in the Tampa Bay area of Florida. I have HBO and Showtime HD and ABC HD and FOX EDTV for locals. Now Bright House Networks in Central Florida such as Orlando (which is a little less than two hours from my house) has HBO and Showtime HD. Now for locals they have ABC HD and ABC DT as well as CBS HD, NBC HD, FOX DT, PBS HD and WB HD. Now in my area TWC says they are in negociations with both networks and they have been saying this since May of 2001 and still no change. I've emailed both NBC and CBS and heres my response from them.

CBS or WTSP says pretty much nothing except that TWC has reserved channel 620 for their feed. I may have this channel mixed up with NBC but the rest is right.

NBC or WFLA says that TWC doesn't want to carry the entire data stream so NBC won't allow them to carry it until they carry the entire data stream. I'm not quite sure what they mean as data stream. I don't know if they mean the DD5.1 or an additional digital channel or the most likely I think is that TWC wants to broadcast at let's say 12Mhz and the entire data stream that NBC is sending is 19Mhz. I really don't know. I also don't know if NBC and/or CBS is O&O by NBC and/or CBS or not and I really haven't cared too much to look. Now on the other hand TWC in Tampa and Central Florida has been the slowest TWC area to roll out Premiums on Demand. Central Florida on March 11 I think just added Cinemax, Showtime and TMC on Demand alongside HBO on Demand. In Tampa we still only have HBO on Demand and the marketing department still can't tell me anything other than they are still testing it which is what they said shortly after launching HBO on Demand which was just shy of 1 year ago. I just got wind that BHN or TWC in my area is now testing Starz on Demand and a friend who works for BHN just watched the Lord of the Rings and the service works pretty good. This is good because all he heard was rumers that BHN would be offering it but it was still a rumer until he began testing it. So for those of you with TWC you can expect Starz on Demand to be added to your channel lineup sometime soon I would think. Thats good news. I could care less for HBO and Cinemax on Demand but I do demand Starz on Demand. I currently have 5 channels (no west coast) and am paying 8.00/month. This is the most expensive premium around. And considering the owner doesn't feel so good about the future of HD I was highly considering cancelling my Starz subscription because of the cost versus other premium networks. But if I can get Starz on Demand than I might have to keep Starz even with the lack of an HD channel.

· Registered
83 Posts
Here is a response from TWC on my questions about why all the locals are not offered.

Dear Mr. M,

> >

> > Thank you for taking the time to write to us with your thoughts on HDTV.

> We

> > apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused you.

> >

> > Mr. Meissner, Time Warner Cable would like to provide all of the HDTV

> > signals available. We are currently negotiating with the remaining

> > Cleveland broadcast networks and hope to have an agreement in the very

> near

> > future. Additional HDTV programming is being offered by The Discovery

> > Networks, HDNet and several other providers. This HD programming is

> being

> > positioned as pay programming and Time Warner Cable wants to make sure

> that

> > we negotiate the best possible rate for those of our customers who want

> to

> > subscribe to this.

> >

> > If you have any further questions, you may respond to this email address

> or

> > call our customer service department 24 hours a day 7 days a week @

> > 1-800-826-2983.The cornerstone of our philosophy has always been to

> provide

> > "excellence in customer service" and we will continue working to provide

> > the

> > high quality service you expect and deserve from Time Warner Cable.

> >

> > Sincerely,

> >

> >

> > Time Warner Cable of Northeast Ohio

· Registered
15 Posts
You mean you actually got a reply from TWC? I've been sending messages for a year and never got a reply. TWCNEO has the worst info page at their web site, I think any high school kid could do better!!! I've had a HDTV for over a year but living South of Canton OTA is not very good. Been calling and Emailing TWCNEO no responses. How do you know what is on cable? The info is not at their web site and it depends on who you get on the phone if they even know what HD is.

Back to the org post it's all about money. When TWC figures out how to make the most money, Then we'll have all the networks HD.

· Registered
11 Posts
I just recieved a returned email today from TWCNEO and the lady stated that DiscoveryHD will be added shortly and they are still working on locals HD channels(been saying this since Jan). No word on ESPN she said. I wonder how short of a time frame.

I left the actual email at work so I cant post it yet

· Registered
11 Posts
Well another week has begun and still no DiscHd for TWC Northeast Ohio. I guess when the meant shortly they meant more than a month. Well maybe one day they will turn it on and ESPN HD (yeah right!)

Later

Jerz

· Registered
11 Posts
Finally! DISCHD Channel 554

· Registered
1,483 Posts
I just called Time-Warner NEO. The service rep told me there is no additional charge for HDTV. I asked her twice. So all we need to do is subscribe to the basic digital $53.99 package to get HDTV?

· Registered
474 Posts
Yes, but to get HBO and/or Showtime, you have to subscribe to those individual services separately. And the INHD and INHD2 channels will be part of a separate HD tier which will be an additional amount. But Discovery is free along with the local HD stations.

· Registered
15 Posts
CBS will be comming soon as will ESPNHD and others then TWC will start their HD tier for more money. I don't think TWC will charge for local HD but will make up for it some how. Just like the digital tier now, there is nothing I want to watch except an ocassional local sport show. But you must have digital cable to get HD! Over 100 chanels of pure nonsense and 50 + music chanels that I don't want. WHY????

· Registered
10 Posts
I am in Akron, and have TWC, I am paying for lifeline basic $10.99 and the box rental, which is somewhere around $5 and I am getting the local HD channels and Discovery HD, don't know if it will stay like this. Now that they just added NBC, if they add CBS, I would be ok with this for now. I am sure ESPN if added, will be part of this HD tier I am hearing about. But if we are lucky, maybe that HD tier will be able to be obtained a la carte. I am not getting rid of my DirecTivo just yet!!

· Registered
20 Posts
I'm on Dish Network and am considering TWC when all the locals are available. (I cannot get NBC-channel 3 whithout constant dropoutsand 5 & 8 are not much better). If someone with TWC can update this thread when CBS WOIO is on TWC that would be great. Also, if anyone would like to comment on the clarity on non-hd programming quality on TWC that would be appreciated. For example, Comedy Central on Dish is so soft on an HD monitor it gives me eyestrain. - Thanks

· Registered
15 Posts
RHK

I'm overall happy with TWC cable quality. There are some dropouts on all hd channels but not nearly as many as OTA. On MNF there may be about 5 lasting 1sec or less. There are times when most Clev HD are out, probably due to weather?? I don't know how TWC receives their sig.

I have HBO both SD and HD and is hard to tell the dif sometimes because my Mit RPT doubles the lines and even the 480I dig sig looks good.

With TWC you get WKYC, WEWS, FOX(wide), INHD1&2 DISCHD and premium HBO E&W , Showtime E&W

· Registered
1,483 Posts
How is the OTA reception in Canton? I live on Mt. Pleasant, close to Middlebranch.

I have had Dish for a year now and am very disappointed with the quality of some of the signal, especially the local channels. I was watching the Browns game last Sunday and it looked horrible on my projection system- even through my Iscan Ultra line doubler. I am tempted to either get an OTA HD receiver or go Time Warner now.

· Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the response. The OTA channels look great and are worth the cost of a good receiver. My problem is with electrical interference emminating from the 110 power. Every time someone turns on or off o light, runs an appliance like a dishwasher or microwave, it triggers dropouts - on the OTA channels only. Worst on channel 3 then 5 and so on. I've had the 6000 with the 8VSB for a couple of years and have never been able to figure it out. I've had it with the 6000. I'm hoping one of the newer generation OTA receivers do a better job because if I switch VOOM is now in the mix.

· Registered
15 Posts
TIME WARNER CABLE!! NORTHEAST OHIO

DOESN'T ANYONE HERE IN NEO CARE WHAT TMC IS DOING TO OUR HD CABLE? THEY NOW CHARGE $6.95 FOR 4 HD CHANNELS IN ADDITION TO 44.95 FOR RR AND $77.00 FOR DIGITAL CABLE.

I THOUGHT THAT A CABLE COMPANY'S PRIME RESPONSABILITY WAS TO PROVIDE LOCAL BROADCASTS TO AREAS THAT COULD NOT RECEIVE A GOOD SIG. NOT ANY MORE. NOW THE SIGS ARE LOADED WITH LOCAL CABLE COMPANY'S ADVERTISING! NO WONDER THE LOCAL STATIONS WANT TWC TO PAY MORE MONEY, BUT IT'S NOT TWC IT IS ME ME ME ME ME.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.