Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have just had the long awaited T-W HD box installed in NYC. The picture on HBO and Showtime looks excellent. CBS and ABC are not broadcasting in HD at this moment so (according to the technician) no picture on those stations, 702 and 707, until a broadcast occurs.

I don't think anyone who has waited soooo long will be disappointed.

Steve

·
Registered
130 Posts
WOO WOO!!! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif today is my day to be installed also, all I have to do is wait for the tech to show up.

Surprising that 702 (or whichever one is cbs) doesn't still broadcast but in standard mode as cbs was doing over the cable lines before (i.e. a 4x9 window on a 16x9 screen), but I'll take whatever I can get. Time to sell my old sony HD-100 on ebay! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Ben

·
Registered
228 Posts
can you share with us that how did you get the box and what is the pricing structure. On the other hand, I thought CBS broadcast 24 hr a day on their digital channel, as least on their OTA broadcast. Do you also get HD broadcast on MSG and FOX sport netowrk on NY's home games ?

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Thanks for the news. So, they are running ABC. The puzzling thing is why ABC and not WNET-DTV, which is delivering far more HDTV than ABC, even if much of it is a loop. When is ABC broadcasting HDTV...one show a week?! Assume it's a SA2100HD they installed. It would be interesting to see if they've set their 'timers' precisely enough to 'turn on' CBS for Y&R (12:30-1:30), then turn it off again. This timing I gotta see (not a Y&R fan).

Also, the local CBS upconversion of 480i NTSC to 1080i ATSC during the day makes a noticeable quality difference compared to 480i to 480p in most sets. I've found some CBS live sports broadcasts in upconverted 1080i much more watchable than 480i/480p. Think they should just flip the HDTV switch for CBS and leave it on. They've slated the bandwidth, so what's the difference? Oh yes, 480i-to-1080i isn't HDTV!

BTW, for its delivery of CBS-DTV in the OTA 8-VSB format (channel 46), TWC does run everything 24/7. This requires your own HDTV tuner/decoder. -- John

[This message has been edited by John Mason (edited 07-27-2001).]

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well, we got our box today, quality wise VERY nice picture! I'm need to get a 2-3 meter digital cable for the sound so no comment on that. The installation guys as far as I can tell were complete idiots. (Girlfriend was home, instead of just plugging it in with the cables, etc that I put out, they unhooked EVERYTHING, then rehooked it up.....) cut off the cable modem, etc.

All in all a great advertisement for self installation.

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Is it a 2000HD box, or a 2100HD?

No PBS, i take it?

------------------

Alex

·
Registered
130 Posts
It's a 2000HD box with ethernet (?!?) USB, vsync, etc connections on the back, the digital out is coax. Point of interest channels are as follows:

701 HBO

702 Showtime

703 CBS (news is on right now, it is not in 1080i HD, but is being broadcast)

704 Nothing

705 Fox (Nanny is on, not in HD, not being broadcast on this channel)

706 Nothing

707 ABC (YES! News is on, not in 1080i but being broadcast)

Complaints: you have to key in the HD channels, the guide doesn't include the HD channels, if you are on a HD channel you can't push info to see the program/channel name, and finally you can NOT see what you are keying in if you are on a HD channel.

Other then that, well done TWC.

Ben

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Holysin,

I take it from your comments that you are not having any problem with 702(CBS) and 707(ABC) as I am.

Were you using one of the STB's prior to the T-W HD box today?

How would you compare the quality of the picture, before and after?

Steve

[This message has been edited by sblinn (edited 07-27-2001).]

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Any word on when more channels will be added?

------------------

Alex

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ben,

I was surprised also about CBS, but that's the way it seems to be.

Victor C,

The box is supplied by T-W cable on a rental basis. I think $3-$4 per month. No MSG and Fox I understand is making some sort of change and will be back on in a matter of weeks.

John,

See answer to Victor regarding Fox (this is what I was told by T-W). Box is 2000HD not 2100HD, and contrary to something I had seen elsewhere in this forum it DOES have a remote. Everything looks like the 2000 non HD box and it seems everything works the same way (menus,remote etc). You do have to actually punch in 700 series channel numbers.

SHO on 703 is broadcasting even though it is not a HD broadcast.

Steve

·
Registered
907 Posts
Can anyone provide more technical details about the HD output, like what options there are for 4:3 sets and what kind of connectors it uses?

Thanks,

Gergg

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by holysin:
It's a 2000HD box with ethernet (?!?) USB, vsync, etc connections on the back, the digital out is coax. Ben
What type of TV do you have, and how is it connecting to it? Through the Vsynch port? Also, are you getting a 5.1 signal on movies that should be 5.1 or are they only passing 2.0? I know that cablevision would only pass a 2.0 signal along when they were doing HDTV testing a while back.

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP!!!!!

[This message has been edited by chap (edited 07-28-2001).]

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a Panny Tau 34' 16x9 set. I have mine connected using both the component and s-video connectors on the box (for other than the 700 series channels).

As far as sound, even though I have a coaxial digital cable hooked up, I do not seem to be receiving 5.1.

Steve

·
Registered
130 Posts
I am currently connected via YGB. And as far as picture quality, CBS/ABC looks fantastic (right this second) I have to say upconverted cartoons are rather cool http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I will hook up the digital audio today and relay my opinions. I still find it a little annoying that you can't use the guide, etc with HD though.

·
Registered
130 Posts
my only complaint is that this morning HBO suffered from pickture drop out every few minutes on HD, we'll see if that goes away, if not I'll have to call TWC, do we call a specific number or just the general #?

Ben

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ben,

The number I was given is 718-436-4100.

Did you hook up digital audio yet, and if so what were the results?

Steve

[This message has been edited by sblinn (edited 07-28-2001).]

·
Banned
1,400 Posts
Guys, how about some technical despcriptions for those of us still waiting. Help us out. Is the non HD picture thru the component any better or worse than thru s-video? Many have said that programming the HD channels as a "favorite" makes it easy to locate and channel surf. Either that or make a macro ccf for your pronto and hit 1 button. Any other way to connect the TWC box to a plasma? What other types of outputs does it have?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Digital audio: I finally got it hooked up, and HBO is broadcasting the perfect storm in HD with 5.1, I am in fact receiving the 5.1 signal, it really is very impressive.

I also went ahead and added 70* as favorites so that does make it much easier. Point of interest for those of you that like to play, by going in settings, favorites you can see every channel the box receives, for example:

my box receives 2 channels in the 80's that aren't on the guide, one that is the UN tv channel, and one that's nothing, 2 800 channels, one nothing, one a test pattern, and a bunch of 900 numbers which give the same error you'll get when you choose a channel you don't pay for, though on a few of them it says approved. i assume some sort of testing channel.

As far as hook ups, you get USB, RGB, Hsync, Vsync, svideo and rca. I actually have to agree that the normal channels look a little worse on rgb then svideo, but that also might be because my sony displays them in a 16x9 window. It's not that much different, just enough to annoy me, but that's why I still have my tivo hooked into the old cable box (technically I can watch one channel on the HD box, record another on tivo, and record a 3rd on the vcr in the bedroom.

I'm ready for the new show season! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Thanks for the number btw.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ericbee,

I have both component cables and an S-video cable hooked between the T-W HD box and my HD TV. As stated previously the HD pictures on channel 701 (HBO) and 703 (SHO) are great (I'm having a problem getting CBS and ABC so far). I do not like any other channels (aside from the 700's) via component and find watching them on another input to my TV using S-video far superior.

Steve

[This message has been edited by sblinn (edited 07-28-2001).]

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Holysin,

Congratulations on the new addition. Maybe you can help me regarding the Dolby Digital.

As stated in my posts above I have the digital coax cable hooked up but I don't seem to get any indicator on the receiver that the signal is DD as I used to. I am watching Perfect Storm also and the sound IS very dynamic, sounds like it should be DD but am just concerned because it is not indicated on my receiver as such. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Steve

1 - 20 of 166 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.