AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TWC will be offering HDTV service in San Diego sometime in July. What is the usual pricing structure and channel coverage in other areas that already have this service? I have heard that there is a $10/month DTV fee + an extra $5/month fee for the HDTV STB. I assume that I would need to subscribe to HBO/SHO to get their HDTV channels but how are local stations handled? Are the HDTV locals included at the basic package price or are they usually extra? Is there even any guarantee of locals being carried?

·
Registered
395 Posts
I subscribe to Sho and HBO HD channels here in Austin, TX. The cost for the HD converter box is the same as a regular SD digital box. The trick is getting on the waiting list to get one early. They are usually in high demand.

So, if you have the equipment to view HD already and are a cable customer, its pretty much a no-brainer. Local programming will be limited to the number of stations broadcasting digital that have a deal with TWC. Right now, there are no locals or other HD content other than ShowtimeHD and HBO-HD in Austin, but other markets have more selection.

--Karl

·
Registered
154 Posts
There's no additional charge for the SA 3100HD box, assuming that you're a digital cable subscriber to start with. I converted from the SA 3000 and was happy to see that they use the same remote, so no reprogramming on my universal remote. And now for the fun part, I originally had HBO (including Signature, Family, Comedy, and Z, which I still have, but now I have HBO, HBO-HD and Showtime HD and the sole local channel broadcasting in HD. All in all, a great deal, for now. Now, all TWC HD subscribers are content hungry!

·
Registered
407 Posts
You forget about the $35 installation charge. Not nearly the cost of a satellite HD box, but not exactly free either. TW neglects to mention that in their press releases.

That said, I'm not complaining. I'd pay more than $35 to get the HD content from TWC. All in all, they do a pretty good job.

-Brett

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Hmm... I didn't have a $35 install fee OR have to pay extra for my 3100 box. (yes, I was a digital subscriber prior)

If I'd have seen a $35 bill for the install, "it" would have definitely hit the fan... I had to instruct the installer on how to hook the STB up to my system. (he was going to run Y connectors out of each of the RCA audio jacks - the left channel Y'd out to the TV and the right channel Y'd out to my receiver - he couldn't comprehend that I don't even have the speakers on the TV turned on)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just finished talking to customer service in San Diego. It felt a lot like talking to DirectTV recently with the ShowtimeHD offerings... The first person I talked to didn't have any information and suggested I just keep calling back untill they know something. I promptly said thanks, hung up and called again. :) The second customer rep said that they have a unit in house that they are "field testing". She could confirm that they will have a "summer offering", but could not say more specifically, and added that even though she has not seen any waiting list for San Diego yet, she can add my inquiry to my account so it will get flagged for the sales staff when the offering becomes available.

- Ben

·
Registered
508 Posts
I am interested in hearing from people with Time Warner HDTV service in other parts of the country. From what I have read in this post, the TWC offering includes SHO and HBO in HDTV. Is that all you get, or do you also get the CBS, NBC and ABC broadcast feeds? I am particularly interested in PBS, is that included? All the local broadcast stations here have HDTV feeds.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I think it varies widely by region, but here in Central FL, I get:

ABC, CBS, NBC, WB, FOX- all broadcast 1080i, and TWC passes that on. Of course, a few of the stations have no 1080i programming (WB and Fox)

HBO, Showtime, and PBS-HD (National Feed). Discovery HD is coming soon, according to Greg McLaughlin (HDTV Champion and assistant to the President of TWC Central Florida).

They're doing it correctly here, IMO. And it doesn't cost a dime, over being a "regular digital" cable subscriber. I get all that, and Road Runner, for $100/mo.

Todd

·
Registered
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pumori
TWC will be offering HDTV service in San Diego sometime in July.
Several months ago I was given the name of the person in charge of the HD beta testing for TWC in San Diego and was told that he was looking for beta testers. I called him and explained that I would be a perfect beta tester since I had a Mitsubishi HDTV, a HD STB with an antenna that could get both San Diego and LA digital stations. I indicated that I was a T-W subscriber with a cable modem and cable service.

The conversation went south however, when I said that I was also a DirecTV subscriber and had only basic cable. I explained how that would be even better for a beta tester as I could compare the HD picture quality between DirecTV and TWC. He cut the conversation short and that was the end of it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.