AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you're looking for some fresh HD content, check out "Time Warp" on Discovery HD. I believe it premiered tonight (replay at 12:30 Eastern).

The premise of the show is this: a guy at MIT plays with a super fast (10,000 frames per second) HD video camera.

You've probably seen the famous example of a bullet going through an apple in slow motion. This show is like that, but far cooler. Since the camera takes so many high resolution frames, an incredible amount of detail is revealed.

Examples:

-Ripples going through a fighter's face and body while taking a punch

-Water balloon exploding

-A wine glass literally jiggling to matched frequency sound waves

-The precise way a dog curls its tongue to drink

I really enjoyed it. It's one of those shows that is just made for HD.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Damn, not even a mention of it on the discovery website, i'd love to see this.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I love this show. The bit where they showed how a dog drinks was particularly interesting, and I now understand why my dog always splashes water out of his bowl. Last week they had exploding soda bottles in a tank of water. Also, the Fuel Girls blowing fire was very cool.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Holy smokes. I just watched this week's episode of "Time Warp", and Metallica was on this week. They time-warped all four band members doing what they do best. A must see for Metallica fans.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I Love this show but they spend WAY too much time setting the stuff up and talking about it rather than showing the actual "time warp." They could have had so much more Metallica if they would just stop talking about it and show it.

Last season was much better IMHO.

·
Banned
9,953 Posts
These guys are MIT grads based in Boston/Cambridge.

Cool show, but surprisingly I haven't seen or heard much from them around town. I did go to school with the Umass girl that was on the poll vault / track and field episode though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
This is a great show. My favorite so far has been the episode with the cornstarch/water mixture that would act like a solid at times and a liquid at other times.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Last night's episode titled "Goop, Goo, Glop and Germs" was awesome!

The water drop-lets amazed me. I was so glued into TV amazed. ha

·
Registered
10,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C /forum/post/16541892

Last night's episode titled "Goop, Goo, Glop and Germs" was awesome!

The water drop-lets amazed me. I was so glued into TV amazed. ha

I agree. The passing of germs at the card table and how much crap comes out of our mouth when we cough and sneeze is simply amazing. This was not a show for the obsessive-compulsive person who washes every time they touch anything.

This show is great for showing just how artistic the world is in every way, regardless of the situation, and the water experiment really brought that out.

Sometimes the show can be rather bland, but last nights episode was one of the best.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts