AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased the jvc30k. Seems I have same questions now that other people had almost a year (or 2) ago based on a scan some forums but I have not seen any replys or answers . Can someone help?

I use an OTA HD UHF antenna to my sony 60xbr950 grand wega HDTV w/ built in digital tuner & I use the Ilinc ( firewire) which is bi-directional to connect tv to jvc30K. The componets are also connect so I can do the analog tapes. I can record & playback the OTA HD via the ilink. Great! But here is the problem...

1.) timer recording on JVC 30k doesn't work for HD. When you go to set a program & then the chanel the "ilinc" selection option is NOT THERE! Strange since is has the front/rear inputs & the channels as you would expect when timer recording on a vcr. JCV tec support just said "yep don't think u can" & was no help.

Anyone solve this with a work around ? My tv does have a timer so I can have the tv timer active to turn on automaticaly to the HD channel. But then what gadget would tell the jvc30k to start recording & tune to ilink. I could even leave vcr on to ilink but need a gadget to tell vcr to start. Looked at my local radio shack but I only saw a univ remote.

Can I buy something to make the vcr turn on or just start recording at a specified time? If I was was to buy another hd tuner ( crazy since I have one in the tv) would this solve problem of timer recording? Seems most outboard hd tuners don't have fire wire or still cant communicate w/ vcr .

Help!!!!! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
HD recording via iLink is normally initiated by the tuner. If the timer in the grand wega doesn't provide that service, then you may want to take a look at the Problem recording to JVC30K from Samsung SIR-T165 thread. One member (dwk) has successfully used the 30k timer even though there is no iLink setting in the timer program. He just sets the timer to an unused analog input (F-1) and leaves the Samsung on and tuned to the desired station. I've tried this and it works for me, but not for some others.

In your case I think it would be worth a shot. Leave the wega on and set to the station you want. Make sure the firewire connection is working by viewing the 30k's component output. Use DVHS tape (which tells the 30k you want to record HD) and be sure to select HS for the tape speed when you set the timer.

If that doesn't work you could try a timer remote, which would allow you to start the 30k record process without specifying an input.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gridleak... Thanks... I actually saw thread today at lunch after I posted my question this morning. I tried tonight but it didn't work. I had tv on to a hd pbs feed (local 12.1). Only ilink connected to tv & vcr. I was able to record via ilink section buttons on tv remote. I was also able to use vcr remote & hit record. Both times the ilink becomes active & recorded the 12.1 channel onto the dvhs tape.

But when I set vcr timer to record & selected channel f-1, the vrc came on & recorded but stayed on f-1 & nothing was recorded. The power saver was not activated on vcr- I checked.

You mentioned "..try a timer remote, which would allow you to start the 30k record process without specifying an input."

What do you mean by that? Do you have any suggestions?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
disregard my prior post. I GOT IT!

A "VCR Programmer" for $15 at Radio Shack just did the trick. I programed the tv to turn on for 1 hr on a HD channel. I set the "programmer to turn on jcv 30k vcr for 1 hr (do not need to set any channel) & left the vcr on ilink before I turned vcr off. Both tv & vcr came on & the vcr started recording from the ilink. I rewound & watched. SUCCESS!

JVC ??????? WHY NOT HAVE THIS ($15 RETAIL) FEATURE BUILT IN? WHY BE SO EVASIVE OVER LAST SEVERAL DAYS WHEN I HAVE CALLED TECH SUPPORT & CUSTOMER SERVICE & I GOT A FLAT OUT "YOU CAN'T DO IT & NO ... NO OTHER PRODUCT YOU CAN BUY TO MAKE IT WORK & THEY JUST WANT TO TERM THE CALL???? "

Seems the threads posted on this site on svhs vs dvhs tapes are another evasive move. Clearly you can push the dvhs button on the vcr & record "d" on svhs & not pay the $25 for the dvhs tape. WOW!

Thanks all.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have the Sony KDF70XBR950, which is the 70" version of the TV you have. I had the ame experience you had so I bought a Samsung SIR-T165 which will control the JVC and allow recording of six events on different channels. Expensive, but it works. Also, I don't like having the TV on when it is recording to the JVC. As far as the price of D-VHS tapes, Tape world.com has them for $7.25. The advantage is when you play a D-VHS tape back it only takes a few seconds for the picture to appear. If you use a S-VHS tape, it takes much longer since the recorder tries to find an analog signal before switching to look for a digital signal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.