AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been timeshifting sports for many years and there's generally a serious issue being how to determine if a game is over. If you tune in and see if it's still on, there's a fairly good chance you will discover the outcome, thereby ruining your enjoyment. If it's a football game, or a basketball game you have a general idea how long it's apt to go and you can add on a factor in case of an overtime game. There can be multiple overtimes, so there's a risk factor. But baseball is anybody's guess. Some games are under 2.5 hours, others can approach 6 hours and theoretically, there's no limit.

I got this idea last night that somebody should put up a notice on their website that such and such game is over, it's now the time to stop your recording. ESPN could do something like that. Maybe they (or some other sports related site) has already done this, I don't know. Hell, it would even be theoretically possible to have a recording device be informed of the end of the contest! Whoa! Has Tivo done that? That would be a good selling factor.

If you have TiVo, or a similar device, it's not a problem and you can just start watching whenever you want to. But I don't have TiVo and I've always had to be inventive in my timeshifting schemes. I used to do this with a couple of SVHS decks. I'd start recording the event with one deck, come back an hour or two later and start recording with the second deck and start watching on the first. When I finished watching this recording on the first deck, I'd start recording the event again on the first deck, stop the second deck and start watching the recording it had just made on the second deck. When done watching that, I'd stop the first deck's recording again, and proceed in this fashion until I've seen the whole event. If you are careful enough you can timeshift the event this way, forward through the commercials and tiptoe across the minefield of not inadvertently discovering the score by accidentally viewing some live TV. Many times I've been blown up in that minefield, but I know what to be careful of now, and when I'm mindfull, I'm careful enough not to find something out I don't want to know. I still blow it occasionally when I use my VCR's in this way.

However, I'm now making HDTV recordings with a device that's incapable of timeshifting in the sense of watching a show/event while in progress (MyHD 120 HDTV card and daughterboard). When I'm timeshifting with the MyHD card, I have to give the whole thing a safe cushion (like no baseball game could possibly go over 6 hours, right? Right???). But that means I can't start watching until 6 hours have elapsed, or whatever I deem a safe judgment of the longest it's apt to run. That's a pain, of course. It would be so much nicer if there were some way to find out that the game was over without the possibility of finding out anything whatsoever about how the game went, how long it went, etc. I'm quite sure that there are many other people besides me who would appreciate that facility. I wonder if exists, in fact, since it's a not uncommon need and it wouldn't be very hard to fulfill. A network, something like the website for ESPN, or similar, could have a page for that very purpose. Feasible. In fact, I think it's not entirely implausible that such a facility exists.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
There is somebody on the Tivo boards that has had a web site for a few years that shows only the inning, but does not give the score. I only use it for baseball. It is at http://www.scottandmichelle.com , but I'm not at home so I can't find the actual link.

I don't think it is going to come from the networks, they don't want you timeshifting past commercials, and besides with PVR's that can play and record at the same time and the huge disk space available, it isn't a big deal there, unless the game goes WAY over.

·
Premium Member
5,404 Posts
Muse:

Funny, that is what is so great about HD Tivo and all Tivo products, I used to have to wait hours for the games to end not knowing if they actualy ended, I have 2 young daughters I used to ask them to look for me and tell me if the game is over.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by LJG
Muse:

Funny, that is what is so great about HD Tivo and all Tivo products, I used to have to wait hours for the games to end not knowing if they actualy ended, I have 2 young daughters I used to ask them to look for me and tell me if the game is over.
Ah, now the interaction with your daughters is close to it, but not as good as a site that would simple tell you if a game's over or not. Knowing the inning would be pretty good. However, even that isn't ideal. Consider the case where it goes to extra innings, say the 11th inning. Finding that out in advance of seeing the first inning will prejudice your appreciation of the event. In the sixth, it might be 9-2 for one team and you would be watching knowing that it was a tie game after 9, so it wouldn't be the same as seeing it "cold." I prefer to know NOTHING about a game. Now, even knowing that a game is over is knowing too much in a sense. You know that it ended by such and such a time, that is to say! I have a lot of experience in this.

If I had enough money, I WOULD have bought HD TiVo. What I'm doing is HD on the cheap, compared to that.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by anthonymoody
It's over when the fat lady sings. ;)

TM
Yeah, you are right there. Who said that originally? It wasn't Yogi, right? He said "It ain't over 'til it's over." Very famous quote. Actually, I think the fat lady was for opera, not sporting events, come to think of it! :D

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by turls
There is somebody on the Tivo boards that has had a web site for a few years that shows only the inning, but does not give the score. I only use it for baseball. It is at http://www.scottandmichelle.com , but I'm not at home so I can't find the actual link.

I don't think it is going to come from the networks, they don't want you timeshifting past commercials, and besides with PVR's that can play and record at the same time and the huge disk space available, it isn't a big deal there, unless the game goes WAY over.
If you could provide the exact link that might be helpful. Yes I realize that the networks wouldn't particularly want to encourage people to timeshift their sports programming. Still, it's a common need (not uncommon, anyway) and I figured it was worth asking - I've lived privately with this problem for years! :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LJG
Muse:

I can't have anybody else knowing the outcome if they are going to be around me. I will be worried they will let something slip, or worse, they screw with me about it. I had an old girlfriend who used to do that.

The worst thing is when somebody calls and leaves you a message about a game you haven't watched yet.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The easy answer is to get a DVR from your cable company. They rent them now so pricing is pretty low. I use the 6412 from Cox and it saves a great deal of time, especially when watching sports. That way, you don't have to worry about switching tapes, waiting till the even it over, or checking a web site to see when a game is over. You just start watching it.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
gpttigers, do you do a "manual" recording when you do this ?? If you simply tell it to record game "a" from 8pm to 10:30pm, it will stop at 10:30 whether or not the game has ended. You can of course change it to a manual recording and specify 8 until 11:30, for example.

What I want is for my DVR to know when an event (football, racing, etc) goes over and starts bumping all the later shows. Last weekend we had Cold Case recorded from 8pm to 9pm. It didn't start 'til 8:30 but the DVR stopped at 9. :( I guess we need a really interactive, live guide. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I select the program in the guide and extend the ending time. Typically, 4-4.5 hours for a football game.

In one instance, I was recording the LSU Florida game which I initially only scheduled for 3 hours by accident. With about a minute left in the game I noticed it wasn't recording and was in a panic. I then hit record and it recorded back to when the buffer was stared (after the schedule recording ended) so I didn't miss recording anything.

The only way to prevent programs getting pushed back is too plan ahead and record longer periods of time. This is pretty common on a Sunday after football games or anytime there is a sporting event. A live guide would be nice but probably ahead of its time.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jbalfour
I can't have anybody else knowing the outcome if they are going to be around me. I will be worried they will let something slip, or worse, they screw with me about it. I had an old girlfriend who used to do that.

The worst thing is when somebody calls and leaves you a message about a game you haven't watched yet.
You nailed it. But LJG had a somewhat different scenario. I thought about this some and was saying the same thing and then rethought it. If LJG's two daughters were young enough, and in particular if they were so young as to be basically clueless about what the games were about anyway, then they wouldn't play those games with their dad! :D However, jbalfour, you are 100% right, and in most circumstances you don't want a human intermediary for exactly the reasons you state. You see, folks, this really can be a problem and I think it's worth some discussion. I've gone to the gym and been paranoid that I'd hear some people discussing a game and worn a walkman for that reason. It has rarely happened to me, but it HAS happened a time or two. Expecially if it's a big game, and of course, it would bug you so much more for a big game and especially if it was really worthy of discussion. One time I remember giving someone stern admonishment for discussing the outcome of a game when I thought they should know that people within earshot might have been taping a game.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by gpttigers
The easy answer is to get a DVR from your cable company. They rent them now so pricing is pretty low. I use the 6412 from Cox and it saves a great deal of time, especially when watching sports. That way, you don't have to worry about switching tapes, waiting till the even it over, or checking a web site to see when a game is over. You just start watching it.
Yep, but I don't subscribe to cable. And even so, I don't think they have PVR for HDTV. I could get HD TiVo, but that's $1000 and I'd have to subscribe to DirecTV, and don't want to do that. I've got a MyHD 120 HDTV card + daughterboard, which includes PVR, but it doesn't have timeshifting capabilities. I can work out something similar using Tetratek DVD 2.0, I believe, but I still need to make my recordings until the game is over, and am equally in the dark about when that is. Obvious to me is that it's technically possible for program transmissions to include information concerning the identity of a program (and for all I know, they do), but it's not in the interests of the programs' advertisers for endusers to know when a game is over, so I know I may never get that built in intelligence I'd like to have in the systems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.