Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No ABC!

Hopefully it will be here soon. That's the Superbowl channel. Maybe its just a short delay in the new line up? Anybody know anything about this?

·
Registered
172 Posts
From what I understand ABC HD rights are "still pending". I believe its still due out sometime this month. I would love to see some ABC MNF and Superbowl action in HD as well. Until then, get my first taste of any HD sports on CBS this weekend with college basketball on Sat.

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
So this means that TWC has not made an agreement with KGTV to carry their HD feed, the lawyers must still be battling! It would be a shame if they iron out the agreement the week after the superbowl. TWC was already too late for CBS and the November sweeps.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Not to mention all the great college football action we've missed on CBS. Oh well, at least theres that one remaining WeedWacker Polander Fun Bowl yet to be shown.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't wait to see some HD sports on Sat. too. This will be my first live sporting event ever on my HT. More than a month for TW to get ABC for the big game. Bring on the Superbowl.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"We are pleased to announce we have entered into an agreement with KFMB (Ch.8 - CBS) that will allow TWC-SD to begin airing their HDTV signal and programming, effective this Thursday, December 12th. As communicated to customers already, KFMB's HDTV programming will be launched on Digital Ch.708. This launch of KFMB's HDTV signal leaves KGTV (Ch.10 - ABC) as the only major local broadcast station who has yet to grant TWC permission to transmit their HDTV signal. We are quite optimistic an agreement will be reached. soon."

Time Warner Cable San Diego

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi,

Is anyone still reading this thread?

Has anyone in San Diego compared the difference in quality between Time Warner's HDTV signal and an OTA (over the air) signal? Does Time Warner send the full signal?

-Steve

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
I read someone with TWC posted they had pixelation or artifacts on last week's CSI on CBS. I didn't see any of that using OTA HD, so it sounds like OTA HD is higher quality/bitrate than TWC's CBS channel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
TWC uses a full 6MHz shared by two HD stations modulated in 256 QAM. They use a statistical multiplexer to control the amount of bits each channel get at any one second. If the action is intense on both channels at the same time, the bit bucket runs out and you will see pixelation. OTA HD gets to use the full 19.39MBits. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks, that does help - interesting information... ~20mbps is a pretty serious amount of bandwidth.

So, to reiterate, and to make sure I understand this correctly: currently OTA HDTV will probably give you the best signal because the other methods of HDTV delivery (i.e. satelite or cable) may be lower quality because they are using less bandwidth. Correct?

Next questions:

(1) What do you think? Will this always hold true? Will cable and satelite providers figure out a way to eventually push the full signal, or will they always be constrained by economics? They may eventually be able to send the full signal, but they can save bandwidth (and money) because not enough people will really care.

(2) Can the HTPC HDTV cards (e.g. HiPix) really record a 20mbps signal to a computer's hard disk?

(3) Any suggestions on good references for technical details?

Thanks,

Steve

Pacific Beach, CA

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hey Steve, fellow PB local & HD nut here. Are you currently getting TWC HD? If not, and you have any questions about the quality of their service, let 'em rip.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'm the one who was seeing pixellization on CSI / KFMB a couple of weeks ago. I suppose that could have been an issue with my 3100 box, but everything else has been OK. Unfortunately, I don't get to watch too much HDTV programming... I've become *way* too used to time-shifting my TV with my ShowStopper, and I will not allow network TV to dictate my bedtime :) I don't think I've had a chance to rvisit since, and I never bothered to call TWC about it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Much of Pacific Beach has hills blocking the view to the towers on Mt Soledad. I am near Mission and Turquoise, and have determined it is impossible to recieve CBS or ABC OTA, or at least impossible on a $500 budget. Its a bummer because I'd like to record the NFL playoff games with my MyHD card. Oh well, at least I can view them with TWC.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You are a little further South, but I would guess that you may be in the same situation. When I flew up to northern CA over Christmas, I had a nice birds eye view of PB, the hills that the rich people live on, Mt Soledad, and the towers, and I would guess anyone north of Garnet, at least west of Ingraham, is probably in the same situation.

Do you get 8 and 10 perfect with rabbit ears? If you get static and ghosting, then you probably will have trouble. I get 8 and 10, but it has a lot of static and ghosting. I put an antenna on the roof, I get PBS, NBC, WB, FOX, all in digital, but never once picked up any trace of CBS or ABC in digital.

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
I'm in the Del Mar Heights area, and I can get CBS, ABC and PBS over the air without problem, but nothing else.

I've compared the OTA CBS and PBS signals to the TWC HD channels. To my eye, they seem to be identical (to get the same picture, I have the reduce the brightness level on my set when viewing the cable box output).

I watch CSI every week and have yet to notice any pixellation in the cable signal.

-- Mike Scott

·
Registered
136 Posts
It sounds like everyone here is in PB! I'm right across from the Catamaran but my HDTV is still on order. I'm moving to Clairmont near the 5 and the 52 in a few months. Any idea if I'll be able to get anything OTA from there?

Thanks,

David

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.