AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's all about timing. Striking while the iron is hot!!

http://publications.mediapost.com/in...&art_aid=60613

"by Emily Burg, Monday, May 21, 2007 5:00 AM ET

IN SUPPORT OF ITS LINE of high-definition DVD players, Toshiba is teaming with the technology partners and movie studios with whom it promotes the format for a spring marketing and retail campaign with media impressions that are predicted to reach 30 million viewers.

Trailers will run in movie theaters in front of this summer's tent-pole films, including "Spiderman 3," to educate moviegoers about the advantages of the quality and sound of HD DVD, its interactive features, and the upcoming titles that will be released in the format this year.

HD DVD offers six times the picture resolution of regular DVD, plus more audio capacity--and can be played on an HD DVD player made by Toshiba, on a Microsoft Xbox game console, or on an HP laptop, for example. Three hundred new HD DVD titles will be released in 2007.

Toshiba is offering an instant, in-store rebate on select HD DVD players in conjunction with the promotion, which coincides with the HD DVD release of "The Complete Matrix Trilogy" and other titles that Warner Home Video and Paramount--also partners in the HD DVD promo campaign--are hoping will be big sellers for Father's Day in June.

In addition, Toshiba is offering five free HD DVD movies with the purchase of any of its HD DVD players through July 31, which it has paired with the instant rebate on the HD DVD players to drive Father's Day sales. The marketing and retail campaigns for both will be supported by a multimillion-dollar, multimedia platform advertising campaign.

The HD DVD Promo Group was formed last July and is comprised of media and technology partners, including Toshiba, Microsoft, HP, Intel, Universal, HBO, and Warner Bros., which have joined forces to promote the technology behind HD DVD. Their efforts are concentrated at thelookandsoundofperfect.com, where information about the experiential advantages of the technology of HD DVD can be found, as well as information about upcoming HD DVD releases."

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
It's going to be a spectacular summer for HD DVD, with all of the promotions we're seeing, The Matrix Trilogy, Heroes and more! Can't wait for Battlestar Galactica too!

·
Banned
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher /forum/post/0

It's going to be a spectacular summer for HD DVD, with all of the promotions we're seeing, The Matrix Trilogy, Heroes and more! Can't wait for Battlestar Galactica too!

The proverbial fat lady is beginning to clear her throat...

·
Registered
168 Posts
So, who is it "over" for, if it ain't over 'til the fat lady sings???

I still want some bada$$ black T-shirt with the reddish, white HD DVD logo large and angled on the front, like when CoM or Jarhead are loaded up, before the menu screen.

And it HAS to have www.thelookandsoundofperfect.com in small white or red font across the back at the shoulder blades.

Please, please, please...make some T's and send me one, or I will do it on my own.

You can do it!

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
I saw the Matrix HD DVD promo right before Delta Farce out here in Abingdon, MD at the Regal Cinemas. And I can tell you if they showed that before Shrek 3, that got a LOT of viewers!

Apparently someone hasn't told Toshiba the BDA and it's fanbois are calling the war over already.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
You know I have a PS3 but I'm sick of the BDA with their "war is over" rhetoric and propaganda, which always includes taking shots at HD DVD. Sell the damn product and promote it but stop with the Foxian rhetoric BDA (name given to Fox's big mouth at CES 2007 with no show for content).

·
Registered
922 Posts

Quote:
Can't wait for Battlestar Galactica too!

OOOOOH, sweet! Really? Glad I didn't jump in on the SD set then. I'll be all over that. Love my BSG! Those space scenes will look incredible in high def.

·
Banned
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPforMe /forum/post/0

You know I have a PS3 but I'm sick of the BDA with their "war is over" rhetoric and propaganda, which always includes taking shots at HD DVD. Sell the damn product and promote it but stop with the Foxian rhetoric BDA (name given to Fox's big mouth at CES 2007 with no show for content).

"Foxian rhetoric BDA."

Sweeeet.

·
Premium Member
8,419 Posts
Quite aggressive tactic ! Practicaly from one company making these players.

Speaking of players! are there any new RCA player coming out? I know they are clones,but they'll be cheaper for some folks.

DJoel

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
The last time I was in Costco was about a week before the $100 coupon announcement and they had about 50-60 HD-D2s, I went there today and there were only 15-20 players left. If that is being repeated around the country and at BB/CC/etc, then it is a very good day for HD DVD.

·
Banned
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by venk /forum/post/0

The last time I was in Costco was about a week before the $100 coupon announcement and they had about 50-60 HD-D2s, I went there today and there were only 15-20 players left. If that is being repeated around the country and at BB/CC/etc, then it is a very good day for HD DVD.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyg /forum/post/0

Good to hear Toshiba is finally going to step up to the plate with some real promotion. The kind that people will actually notice.

Any heavy promotion before they had low-cost players and a few hundred titles available for purchase would have been money wasted. Also, if you look at the CE buying cycle, they are picking the peak times to take action.

Don't bet on BDA sitting idle, however. They aren't stupid. Arrogant, perhaps, but not stupid.

This battle is just beginning to heat up, and it appears that the summer and then the holiday buying period will be extremely intense.

Game on!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel /forum/post/0

Quite aggressive tactic ! Practicaly from one company making these players.

Speaking of players! are there any new RCA player coming out? I know they are clones,but they'll be cheaper for some folks.

DJoel

No, there is no new RCA this year.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mullis /forum/post/0

I saw the Matrix HD DVD promo right before Delta Farce out here in Abingdon, MD at the Regal Cinemas. And I can tell you if they showed that before Shrek 3, that got a LOT of viewers!

Apparently someone hasn't told Toshiba the BDA and it's fanbois are calling the war over already.

It's getting plenty of viewings. It's showing before Spideman 3

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Showing it before Spiderman 3 has GOT to get Sony right in the nads...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.