AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I wanna build an htpc with a bd-rom drive, but all of the cases that seem to fit the bill will only take a slim optical drive. A fullsized drive could cost $65 these days, but a slim one costs significantly more. The ideal image in my mind is something the size of say, a mac mini, but I know even that relies on a slim drive. For another example, I really like the Antec ISK 300-65, but it takes a slim drive only. The Apex MI-008 is ugly I think (at least from the pics I've seen), but it's a step in the right direction. The Silverstone Sugo SG05 are a bit tall for my taste.

I guess an alternative would be if anyone knows of a non-crappy cheap slim drive, but I haven't found one yet. I plan on using the Zotac Mini ITX 9300 Wifi and the Shiruken Cooler.

This case issue is the only thing holding me up from pulling the trigger, with the exception of zotac coming out with the next revision of that board that supports wake on usb (looks like they've fixed the atom based boards http://anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3611 ).

The Antec fusion and micro fusions are nice looking, but they're almost double the width of the size I'd really like, and they take micro atx.

So if I go that route (if I can't find a nice itx case), then there's no reason to pay for an ITX board, right? Better cooling maybe?

-jorwex

P.S. the Antec Minuet is kinda nice. It's still 12.something inches wide and not 8.7" like the ISK300
http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=Mjk=

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know, I was gonna knock you for posting one that didn't take a full sized drive, but that's pretty sweet looking

I really do want a blu-ray drive tho, and don't wanna spend $200 for a slim drive

·
Registered
701 Posts
Do you have any specific size or drive needs beyond the want of a full size optical bay?

The first one that jumps to mind is the Lian Li PC-Q07(or Q7 depending on the site) that features a full optical bay and room for a standard ATX power supply, but it's large and oddly shaped.

The ARK PI-01 fits a full size optical bay, but it's cheap and pretty horrendous looking, plus the blue fan up front is bound to be distracting in a HTPC.

The APEX MI-100BK is notably smaller than the previous two, and while not a really high quality case, is a very good option, though cooling is not very good, nor do I think a Scythe Suriken will work all that well with the placement of the power supply, if it even fits.

To be honest, using that CPU cooling in conjunction with a standard desktop processor and wanting a full size optical bay is going to limit you quite a lot, if it's even possible to get a case that fits them for mini-itx.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts