AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the 3" to 4" full-range speakers at madisound and partsexpress.... I think I'd like to experiment with making some *cough* Bose style "cubes" that didn't need a crossover and would be supplemented with a subwoofer. I could possibly run them from a subwoofer's high-pass speaker level outputs. Any driver suggestions? I realize the high-end will be rolled off substantially. These would be for movies primarily. Music is secondary.

·
Registered
438 Posts
IMO it's like pissing into the wind. Sure you can do it, but in the end you'll wish you did something else.

Most "full-range" drivers are simply decent mids with extended capabilities in either direction. I suppose there are some real stars out there, but very few are that small and suitable for single driver use as HT speakers. They just don't play loud, or have the xmax for their size. Crossing really high is also a shortcut that you'd have to accept.

I guess my point is that if you go through the work of cutting little cabinets you may as well put an extra hole in there and do a more traditional 2-way, at least for the mains if you care at all.

my .02 after looking into full-range speakers (that are not line arrays or 8" with fancy phase plugs and whatnot)

oh and drunk late night post in case i said something way weird

1 - 5 of 5 Posts