AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to stick a full range driver in a small sealed box for desktop use. I really don't care or even want the bass to go too low because I'll be living in an apartment. How low do most normal songs/movies go? I want to make sure I get all of the voices/effects. I'm thinking a Dayton RS100 in about a 4x8x4 in box. Any ideas? Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,512 Posts
That one has a breakup around 12khz, and hd related peaking in the lower treble. How about this TB?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=264-828


I could design a contour filter for you based on your enclosure, which will achieve moderately flat response, if you're interested.


You'll at least want some bass to 80hz, which might be possible, I would have to run a model.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,989 Posts
An excellent way to do desktop IMO. What's your budget?


If SPL is low, use the eq on your computer to flatten response and LT the bass. I've done this myself and love the results. 4" drivers seem to have the best qualities for this application IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah darn, but that one looks good too. Is the contour filter a small circuit to even out the response? Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking around $50/driver max, but obviously the less expensive the better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlittle  /t/1471566/tiny-desktop-single-driver-speaker-ideas#post_23285196


Ah darn, but that one looks good too. Is the contour filter a small circuit to even out the response? Thanks.

Yes. Placing a driver in an enclosure changes multiple aspects of the frequency response, this is in addition to the already less then flat native response. You will get far better results from a $30 driver with a ccustom filter vs s $50 driver thrown into a box.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What about some kind of open baffle? Like just the front and bottom of an enclosure? If not, could you help me with that contour filter?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
396 Posts
Check out the Mark Audio drivers at Madisound. I have the big Alpair12's (the 1st gen) in SuperPensil12 cabinets and really like them. A LOT of people really like the CHR/CHP-70's and they're very reasonably priced: http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/markaudio/


I would think the CHP-70 (uses a paper cone) for near-field desktop use would be best as it'll be a little bit "softer" sounding than the CHR.


I actually used the RS100-4's and 8's in multiple designs, one for desktop powered by a little Lepai LP-2020A+ http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=310-300 and it was a great little setup. Imaged really nicely too with decent bass for desktop use. I did make them ported with a tiny little 1" port.


Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Jay, then sealed it is, and those dimensions would work.


@skeeter, I actually have the lepai and was going to use that for powering them. Thanks for the suggestion!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,989 Posts
No offense Jay, but I wouldn't bother with a filter if the guy is hooked up to a computer. Why not just use the graphic eq built into windows. It's not like it has to be more precise than 1db. Speaking from experience, this works really well. And the MA drivers translate into a really good response in a box and being nearfield, not much BSC is needed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic  /t/1471566/tiny-desktop-single-driver-speaker-ideas#post_23285356


No offense Jay, but I wouldn't bother with a filter if the guy is hooked up to a computer. Why not just use the graphic eq built into windows. It's not like it has to be more precise than 1db. Speaking from experience, this works really well. And the MA drivers translate into a really good response in a box and being nearfield, not much BSC is needed.

MA drivers have a HUGE following over at DIYAudio. People particularly love the Alpair7 and 10 but those are much bigger and more costly. I think the CHP would be an awesome speaker for nearfield use. If I could have speakers at my desk at work I'd probably do those.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic  /t/1471566/tiny-desktop-single-driver-speaker-ideas#post_23285356


No offense Jay, but I wouldn't bother with a filter if the guy is hooked up to a computer. Why not just use the graphic eq built into windows. It's not like it has to be more precise than 1db. Speaking from experience, this works really well. And the MA drivers translate into a really good response in a box and being nearfield, not much BSC is needed.

If he's not measuring before applying eq then it would just be a crap shoot... Also I dont see why having the most accurate response would be discouraged, component cost will be minor?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think that I'd like to put in the filter for hardware EQ and also for experience building circuits, as my major is heading in that direction.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,989 Posts
By the same logic, the circuit you'll be giving him is a crap shoot. I'll assume you're going to trace the manufacturer's FR into PCD and design a passive circuit. Instead, do the exact same thing but give him eq settings. On the right had side of PCD, just toggle on the active XO feature and you're done. Easier to build, no insertion losses, no cost, etc. And I'm not discouraging accurate response, I'm saying it'll be just as good, maybe even better than any passive circuit. With the sealed alignment, he can shelf the bass the same way. And if you wanna get fancy, there's some free eq software available that's got user configurable eq for more accuracy.


If the OP prefers a passive solution, that's cool too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,989 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlittle  /t/1471566/tiny-desktop-single-driver-speaker-ideas#post_23285412


I think that I'd like to put in the filter for hardware EQ and also for experience building circuits, as my major is heading in that direction.

Posted while posting. Ok cool. And you can always try both this way. IME, using the computer to do the work is the superior way though, fyi.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think that I'll try it both ways just to get my hands dirty and if it doesn't work passively I'll go into the computer and mess around.
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Top