AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a plethora of small HTPC-type boxes out there right now, but I'm not 100% positive I'll be able to get the high quality of output I'm looking for in them yet?

Asus eeeBox

Mac Mini

HP

etc....

Are any of these super tiny boxes delivering the 1080p we're looking for yet, or should I wait for another 6 months before I can get something like this?

I"ve got a 49" LCD and I'd love to have a Windows 7 interface for viewing movies, hulu, youtube, etc.

sorry if this has been covered a hounded times, i didn't have time to search all the threads. Please post a link to any threads that cover this if preferred.

Thanks and best wishes,

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
The keyword is "ION" (NVIDIA's chipset). If you see the name of "ION", then the box is good for 1080p video playback. Among Viewsonic modes, only VOT 130 is good. (VOT 120/121: Intel GS40 chipset, VOT 132: Intel 945GSE chipset if the information is correct).

Other ION nettops are:

- Acer AspireRevo

- Gateway QX2800 (the same as the above, rebranded)

Barebone ION

- ASRock ION 330

·
Registered
377 Posts
Here's a thread I started about the ASRock ION 330:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=16724180

So far, still loving it as Media Center/PVR with Win7, but have yet to try blu ray iso's on it. Still one of the cheapest ION-based + dual Atom + optical drive units out there.

1.6 might be slow for most PC's, but all the heavy decoding gets done by the ION chipset, and the dual core helps. Gonna try some HD 720p/1080p flash streaming on the weekend to see how it holds up.

·
Registered
261 Posts
What are your reasons for not wanting to build? In all honesty, building a PC, especially such a specialized and hobbyist PC, is one of the most satisfying experiences ever. Not to mention, you can usually save a buck and get exactly what you want/need. There are many case manufacturers that make sharp looking cases with very small form-factors.

·
Registered
547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/16914041

The keyword is "ION" (NVIDIA's chipset). If you see the name of "ION", then the box is good for 1080p video playback. Among Viewsonic modes, only VOT 130 is good. (VOT 120/121: Intel GS40 chipset, VOT 132: Intel 945GSE chipset if the information is correct).

Other ION nettops are:

- Acer AspireRevo

- Gateway QX2800 (the same as the above, rebranded)

Barebone ION

- ASRock ION 330

ION won't be powerfull enough if he wants Hulu tough will it?

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I bought a HP slimline last year for $300. It's dual core, ATI graphics, dvi/hdmi out. Plays Blu-ray rips at less than 10% cpu with DXVA acceleration. Check ebay for "refurbished HP slimline" I bought mine refurbished direct from HP and it looks and runs brand new and came in HP packaging. 90 day warranty I believe.

·
Registered
489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by protovision /forum/post/16920376

How do you find the Intel x3100 IGP?

I thought I read stuff about it not doing 24p, can it?

I don't know you mean by, "How do you find the Intel x3100 IGP?"

I would assume it plays in 24p since it has a built in Blu-Ray player.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
If you are looking to build your own try this thread .

I built a DG45FC mini ITX desktop that also has a tuner card and it is great, I liked it so much I replaced my HTPC with a DG45ID mATX. I am running an e8600 but you can put in one of the new low wattage quad cores or step all the way down to an e5200.

The thread has a lot of examples of builds with small cases.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Guys! Excellent suggestions in here.

I'm not a fan of building because I don't really have the time and know-how to troubleshoot. I'd much rather buy a box I know will work from the get go. Price is an issue as well. I'd much rather get a 300 dollar box than build for 1K.

It looks like none of the smaller boxes, like Asus, don't have cable cards installed, which could be a determining factor here. I may have to build. Ugh.....I think I"ll put this off for a couple months and reevaluate.

Thanks everyone. THis was a very helpful thread.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Asrock ion 330 all the way.

I've thrown everything I can at it, including blu-rips with subtitles and it played them all flawlessly. Just make sure you using directshow decoders that do HW acceleration.

As for the 1.6 only. It can be overclocked to 2.1 stable and has an easy overclock section in the bios. Basically set the clock speed and the bios takes care of the rest if you have the fan speed set to auto.

I overclocked mine to 2.0 and it made a nice improvement in media portal interface speed.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Flowerday /forum/post/16929874

Asrock ion 330 all the way.

I've thrown everything I can at it, including blu-rips with subtitles and it played them all flawlessly. Just make sure you using directshow decoders that do HW acceleration.

As for the 1.6 only. It can be overclocked to 2.1 stable and has an easy overclock section in the bios. Basically set the clock speed and the bios takes care of the rest if you have the fan speed set to auto.

I overclocked mine to 2.0 and it made a nice improvement in media portal interface speed.

How is it for everyday use? Like running Vista, Word, Firefox, etc?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.