Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found here: www.activewin.com/winxp/tips/basic/12.shtml

Quote:
You can, if you feel like it, disable the Windows XP boot up splash screen. Although this doesn't speed boot times at all, it does allow you to see if there are any boot up messages appearing on your computer that might otherwise be covered up.

Edit boot.ini

Add " /noguiboot" right after "/fastdetect".

You will need to restart your PC for the splash screen to disappear. To enable the splash screen again, just remove the switch that you added.

It worked like a charm!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hi..

Nice tip.. But, since I moved my HTPC to XP, I seldom boot my PC anymore, almost never. .. Run very stable so far..

regards

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree Windows XP is very stable. However, I only turn on my HTPC when I need it (right now DVD watching). This fix is one more step toward removing any resemblance of my HTPC to the actual PC it is...

·
Registered
600 Posts
What I'd love to be able to do is *replace* XP splash screen with something a bit more HTPC-centric.

Regarding XP stability: it's pretty amazing when you think about the daily reboots that were required with Win98 and WinME. I was checking some MotherBoard Monitor stats on my HTPC a couple of days ago and was shocked to discover that XP had been running since April 3rd--almost 7 weeks since the last reboot! Simply amazing considering the HTPC gets pretty heavy daily use.

Regards -- Steve

·
Registered
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SteveV

Regarding XP stability: it's pretty amazing when you think about the daily reboots that were required with Win98 and WinME.
Apples and oranges. XP is just a merger of the Win9X codebase with the WinNT codebase. We've been running NT (and later, 2000) computers with months-long (and, in some cases, years-long) uptime for about seven years. So it's not really "amazing." If ATI were to release a set of drivers that didn't induce paranoia in its userbase, OTOH, that would truly amaze and astound.

On customizing XP:

It's a bit irritating that Microsoft would write XP with the goal of it being "skinnable," yet not make it possible to easily replace the splash logo, like you could in the Win9x products. I guess they just didn't want to give up that one last bit of customization to users...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.