Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don’t re-invent the wheel - cheat!

I had my Samsung 507 DLP TV upgraded yesterday to bless it with discrete IR controls for the power and the video inputs. (It was a nice gesture for Samsung to do this, but then again I wouldn’t have bought the TV yet if they hadn’t made a promise to do this upgrade.) While I’m not happy that I had to pay $200 for something that the TV should have had in the first place, I am at least pleased the discrete codes are now working… kind of. (Note: My TV already had the new internals, so the picture quality is the same as before, all my $200 bought was the discrete IR codes.)

Unfortunately the discretes don't work optimally....

The TV still has a problem due to the power on delay…. When you power the TV on you still have to wait 20 seconds or so before you can change inputs. This means automating the process of switching the TV on and selecting the correct input still has to be a kluge - just not as big of a kluge as before. So now, sitting down to watch TV is still a two step process of powering the TV on, and then 30 seconds later switching to the correct input. (Delays can be programmed in the Pronto of course, but one has to keep the remote pointed at the TV for the requisite 30 seconds which is even more painful).

I have no argument over the warm up time… if it needs to be there, fine…. but why can’t the TV accept the input change while the set warms up?

Better still are the many other devices that accept an input change even while powered-off and they nicely switch themselves on and perform the input change. Would that have been so hard to implement guys?

The Samsung DLP is a technical marvel for the picture quality generated. I guess it’s going to take a little longer to get the UI up to the same level.

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
Old Samsung CRT similar. During Power up it ignored Volume key. Agree its irritating. Sets go into a wait mode while things stabilize. But Samsung seems to do nothing but wait. Software/Firmware is simpler to write it that way I suppose. Samsung does update their firmware, so you may be in luck, someday.

Non-Samsung replacement works just fine.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Yeah it bugs me too, but my System On key on my Pronto is for just that -- turning the system on. I have my receiver and STB that need to be turned on too, and that's more what the Discrete On is for there.... for me. Where the discretes are most valuable is in changing inputs.....

There are times when I'm impatient and want to switch inputs during the warmup time, but oh well. Most of the time though it's already set to the input I want.

My Hitachi CRT RPTV was the same way... had to wait to change the input. Just didn't have to wait as long as on the DLP.

Rick

·
Registered
99 Posts
Amen! I am one of the half-fortunate ones who got discrete ON/OFF but no Input commands OOTB (HLN507 v209). I have programmed my remote macro to always go back to Antenna at power OFF. But if I want to watch a DVD I have to wait about 30 seconds for the cycle to power ON then switch to the right input and hope that the dogs don't walk in front of the IR receiver during a critical command. Also, if the TV is already on and I want to switch from Antenna to DVD, I still have to wait for the power ON delay to process or program a bunch of macro buttons for every specific situation.

Come on guys. How hard can it be?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Ummm... Sammy engineers, if you're listening (reading), then could you please fix the PIP implementation someday too? Not being able to have a DVI/VGA/comp2 or 3 signal side by side with an ant/comp1 signal is really a bummer. Please take a look at the Sony PIP implementation when you get a chance. Their scaleable side by side windows (including proper aspect ratio for each side) are fabulous...

And about the fact you have to enter the configuration menu to switch audio between the main and sub-windows.... ARRRGGGGHHHH!

Ummmm... could you make the revamped firmware field upgradeable too? :)

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
While the engineers are at it, build your TVs as separates.

Just build what you need for the monitor to work in that housing.

Everything else goes into a separate unit with replaceable components similar to a computer. Allow firmware upgrades via telephone or wideband modem. These external boxes could be configurable for addition inputs or more powerful processing power given what the consumer wants. Include diagnostics that would eliminate most service calls. A first attempt at a diagnostic could be done by broadband and if it needs a part, you send it to them. If the diagnostic indicates a bigger problem, then send the service technician.

If you don't want to do that, then the owner could just UPS the electronics to you and avoid the typical delays in just getting someone out to their house and having their set taken to the shop where it sits in line for a few weeks to be fixed. (This may not necessarily apply to Samsung, but it does to some sets)

A new DLP chip comes out, sell it as an upgrade. Kinda like the computers industry. We do a few upgrades then replace the whole computer. It's likely to generate more revenue than replacing the whole set only every 7 years(or whatever).

Man, do I feel better..

:)

P.S. Can you do something to improve standard definition performance. The Panny and Hitachi LCDs really do outperform the Samsung in this area and since most our programming still standard definition, this is something we do compare between sets.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
So uhmm... Do Samsung engineers even read this forum? I mean, Samsung USA may just be a marketing/sales organization. If all the design is done in Korea then... we are probably not being heard by the engineers.

I work for a large Japanese electronics manufacturer. The US division is almost entirely sales people. I'm in the only, and very small, engineering group they have in the US. What is Samsung's situation?

Also, from my experience, feedback from sales/marketing to engineering is very sporadic and inefficient.

Sorry to be pessimistic. But I'm new to this forum, so maybe Samsung's responsiveness to AVSforum has been better than I am aware. I don't want to discourage posting our wants, just looking for some good news I guess.

Sooke

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
From what I've heard, this forum is where Samsung got most the information for their firmware upgrades.

I don't think we're telling them anything they don't already know. Hopefully, hearing it from someone else makes it more of a real concern.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Sooke, its quite evident that Samsung does take a look at these forums. The upgrade program for the DLP units was started from this website. They included many of the suggestions from our forum members here.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Well I wouldn't expect some of the things JimP suggested to ever be implemented. They want us to buy new units, not just upgrades to our old ones. Though I'd love for these things to happen.

I'll dream of them allowing us to upgrade to the HD2+ DMD when it becomes available!

Rick

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ender21
Well I wouldn't expect some of the things JimP suggested to ever be implemented. They want us to buy new units, not just upgrades to our old ones. Though I'd love for these things to happen.

I'll dream of them allowing us to upgrade to the HD2+ DMD when it becomes available!

Rick

Considering that the HD2+ DMD is suppose to be cheaper to manufacture , I'm wondering why TI is still manufacturing the HD2 .

You never know where a well placed suggestion can wind up. :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ender21

Rick

Buying new units is one thing, but how about returning existing ones? I just found what I'm more and more convinced is a serious PIP bug (yes bug) that needs to be fixed... Starting another thread about it now. I know most people here don't seem to be too interested in the PIP feature, but for me it's been a very useful tools for years on my Sony. I'm gonna try to get some confirmation from others, but at this early stage of analysis my money is on the need for a firmware upgrade. Now that would be interesting...

(I really hope I'm wrong and end up having to eat my words...)

Marc

·
Registered
916 Posts
Oh the PIP thing is a huge deal to me too, but since it won't be technically classified as a "bug" by Samsung, I'm not going to expect a "fix" from them.

But it really does bug me that their PIP is woefully subpar.

·
Registered
213 Posts
If what I found tonight (posted on another thread) really is a problem and not user error (don't see how it could be...) then I would indeed think it needs to be classified as a 'bug' and thus be issued a 'fix'...

Wholly agreed about their PIP being subpar (and quite possibly the worst I've seen)...

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ConceptVBS
Sooke, its quite evident that Samsung does take a look at these forums. The upgrade program for the DLP units was started from this website. They included many of the suggestions from our forum members here.
That's good to hear! :)

Sooke

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.