AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Discharge them once-a-while.

So I bought replacement batteries for my trusty 10 years old UPS. They last me about 2 years. BAM! A month into it, the UPS complaints that there's something wrong with the battery. I went oh great, that's what happens when one buys from eBay. Still it was from a reputable vendor. The expense wasn't big enuff for me to bother to ship the 5LB back. Then it occurred to me, that perhaps I should let it discharge and see what happens. DID IT and ever since, no prob. The bad news is, I jumped the gun and bought a second set from a local place (no return!) so now they sit on the shelf taking up space
Hope they still OK after 2 years.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I think you're on to something. My APC SmartUPS models (I have a 1000VA and 1500VA) are supposed to do some form of discharging the battery as a part of its routine operation. Which brings me to my point: When my several year old model complained the battery needed replacement I tried unplugging/plugging to force the UPS to use the (reportedly) bad battery, to no avail. I then purchased the replacement and returned the old battery using their UPS-paid return slip. After 350-ish days the UPS began singing about having a bad battery! I called them and suggested they replace it seeing as there is a 1-year warranty on the battery. They haggled about it may not be the battery but the SmartUPS unit itself given its age. I then insisted they send a replacement and at least try another... I went on to express that if the guts of the unit were defective that I not only would not be interested in a battery, but would consider another manufacturer of UPS as the guts should not be failing after only a few years of service! The replacement battery DID fix this... apparently my unit is just fine. Good thing it chirped just before the 1-year warranty period and not afterward or I'd been screwed. I'd also say you sometimes have to be clear with these folks - had I followed his suggestion I'd have dropped several hundred dollars unnecessarily replacing my unit.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another TIP: When purchasing batteries, if u HAVE TO remote any stickers, save them just in case.

I bought a laptop battery from eBay, with 1 year warranty (it says), and it failed after a month. I sent it back and the stupid lady (low paid clerk no doubt) was dumbfounded why I removed their stickers. I didn't say THEY ARE BUTT UGLY that's why. Long story short, I ate the $40 bux.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts