AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know about other users here, but I was having trouble getting the LT150 to display widescreen resolutions from my HTPC in the proper aspect ratio. I set the LT150 to use "native" resolution. I then set the PC (using powerstrip) to 1024x576, hoping the LT150 would display it properly in a 16x9 aspect ratio. It didn't. Instead, it stretched (scaled) the image vertically to 768 and clipped off the sides. Bizarre. Not what I expected.

Well, the good news is, I found a way around this. I'm not sure this will work with all video cards, but it did work with my GeForce2 card. Popup your powerstrip (version 3.o beta) menu. Select Display Profiles->Configure...->Advanced Timing Options...->Custom Resolutions... Type in 1024 and 768 in the Active Pixels text fields. Check the Lock Total Geometry checkbox. Change the vertical resolution to 576 from 768. Uncheck the Lock Total Geometry checkbox. Click on the new resolution button. It might ask you to reboot, might not. Viola. You might have to adjust horizontal and vertical position of LT150 using the menus, but then you should be all set. Surprisingly, 576 still seemed a little to big to fit into my 16:9 screen. Any suggestions to a more appropriate value? I'll probably just do some trial and error until I get this right. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Are you using VGA outputs? Coming from the HTPC I assume you are, but if you're using SVideo or Component then you need to go to VGA instead. There was no scaling whatsoever when I used the VGA output.

------------------

- Balance Between

- Quality & Price!

------------------

Editor of the Skyworth FAQ page at:

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/003495.html

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's strange. If I understand you right, I'm getting different behavior. Again I am using the RGB INPUT (VGA connector) on the LT150 (I assume that's what you mean by VGA Output). If I set the LT150's resolution from Auto to Native and the resolution on the PC to 1024x576, the LT150 scales and clips it to fill a 4x3 image. I haven't tried different resolutions, but it's no big deal, since my procedure above gets me what I wanted. Maybe it has something to do with your video card vs. mine. What kind of video card are you using? Did you use Powerstrip 3.0 beta to create the 1024x576 resolution?

Another thing I noticed was changing the refresh rate from 60 to 72, completely screws up the color temperature. Anyone else notice this? Again I didn't try any other refresh rates.

I am definitely noticing the rainbows, although its not a huge distraction, it is a minor irritant, none the less.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I'm not using an HTPC. I hooked up the LT150 with the Skyworth DVD Player's VGA output and that was the conclusion I had, based on the fact it didn't modify anamorphic discs and displays them "stretched" from VGA port using the RGB setting. After I customized a VGA cable per Mark Fontana's suggestion and switched to "component mode" the LT150 scaled perfectly.

All this time though, I did leave it at "Native" because I didn't like the idea of internal "Auto" scaling when it didn't seem to improve the quality of the picture enough to justify possible distortions from the scaling. I imagine in your case when you had it on AUTO it scaled based on the vertical resolution of 576 since that did not fill the 768 lines in the screen and therefore stretched the image and chopped the two ends. If that's the case your only option without changing hardware is to stay with 1024x768 from the PC end.

I have not tried the different refresh rates.

------------------

- Balance Between

- Quality & Price!

------------------

Editor of the Skyworth FAQ page at:
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/003495.html

[This message has been edited by Yahoo (edited 07-07-2001).]

·
Registered
733 Posts
For widescreen I am using the projector's native resolution and a refresh rate of 72. The HTPC is an AVS one with the Radeon video card and WinDVD.

This works for me - great colour, contrast, blacks etc. This refresh rate seems to help lessen the blurring I am seeing on some DVDs.

Cheers,

Grant

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.