AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So while I'm not totally new to HT, I am finally going to be able to have a room to use as the movie room! My wife and I are buying a new house and will be out of Escrow at the end of Nov. and in the meantime I've been reading up like mad on Front Projection systems. I am currently looking at getting a Sanyo PLV-60HT with a 96" wide GreyHawk screen.

My question is, what things should I look out for when setting up this room? It isn't a standard shape (which I think is good, but it might be oriented the wrong way :confused: ). Here is a link to a picture of the room as it is currently with a drawing of the dimensions and how it should look in the not too distant future:

Kev's Home Theater

How much will I need to worry about sound acoustics with the vaulted ceiling that is wood paneling? And am I going to have a problem with the shape of the room (also with the back of the room open to a hallway/entranceway/dining room?)

Thanks for any feedback! :D

Kevin

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Well, that's a gorgeous room, but I'm afraid it's going to be an acoustical mess. Because the entire back is open, getting smooth bass response will be difficult (not to mention rear speaker positioning). And vaulted ceilings are notoriously difficult to tame for slap echo. But an even bigger offender than that is the huge bank of windows comprising the front of the room.

My temporary theater is in a living room similar to yours, with a cathedral ceiling, a huge window 2' behind the center speaker, and completely open to the right and rear.

My problem, which will likely be yours also, is that the room is so reflective and live that it makes movie dialog somewhat unintelligible. And most of the time the entire soundtrack sounds muddy and imaging is imprecise. Way too many hard reflective surfaces!

However, it DOES make both movie sound and music very spacious and enveloping.

If you're willing to cover the windows with drapes during theater use, and treat other areas of the room with absorptive and/or diffusive products, then you can probably end up with pretty good sound.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the heads up filmnut. We are definitely planning on getting some heavy drapes to control the light coming in from outside. I'm also planning on putting up some acoustical dampening on the walls where the sound will reflect to the viewer.

However the back end and the ceiling will probably have to stay as is. (Though I suppose I could also get some heavy drapes for the back part of the room that draw shut when movies are playing...)

:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.