AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for assistance in what to use or where to go for programs to burn my movies to my mac book, then transferring to an external hard drive to store and link up w/ the western digital TV media box.

I currently use DVD43 w/ AnyDVD on my "on its last breath" Dell PC but didn't know if I could use those with a macbook.? Or if CloneDVD will work with Mac.... ?

Any advice as to how to go about doing this would be appreciated and if a thread is out there already.. I admit I haven't found it other than some references back in 2007.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts

Quote:
and link up w/ the western digital TV media box

I have no idea what that device is, but...

Quote:
Looking for assistance in what to use or where to go for programs to burn my movies to my mac book, then transferring to an external hard drive

we can help you with. What you need is something that "rips" your commercial dvds, not "burns" them. The ones we use most often to rip and/or extract in OS X are MacTheRipper, Handbrake and RipIt. There are many previous threads which discuss these. Which you use, and which makes the most sense for you, will depend on a few factors, like how many dvds you own, how much space you have, what format you want to save these files in, how many other devices on your network might also play them back, like an aTV, etc.

Me, I like all 3 programs, and use them for different things...I also use DVD2OneX to get rid of some garbage on discs...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, well I am planning on "ripping" certain movies I tend to watch often.. I have an external Passport 500GB and a Mybook 160GB... I want to be able to rip the movie, extras are mostly unwanted to my hard drive and just link it up to the WDTV. Now which format you are referring to is ... well a good question. I would like it in an HD format.. or be able to be viewed at 1080i rez. with all DD sound intact. I know you mentioned 3 i guess programs i could use... are these standalone programs or ones I have to use with one another say for encryptions. I take it AnyDVD or CloneDVD from slysoft is not an option for Macs (since I am new to Mac comps as of August).

More advice/clarification would be greatly appreciated..

I found this article..

ripit.. and to get around encryption... ?? Handbrake does this... or is that primarily for compressing? and is compressing a good idea? as I really dont want 5+GB to be taken by a single movie...
http://www.macworld.com/article/137621/ripit.html

·
Registered
552 Posts
I do this on my Mac all the time and then transfer the files to external for use with WD HDTV.

Use MactheRipper to rip your DVD to your HD. You will end up with a Video_TS folder with the files in it. This will usually be the same size as the content on the DVD (e.g., 4.7 GB) but will have the copy protections removed. You can set MTR to only extract the main feature of the movie.

Now, you have a Video_TS folder with your movie in it. You CAN copy this folder to your external and WD HDTV will be able to play it. However, this is a waste of space. You want to convert the movie into a compact format with high quality.

For this, I use Handbrake . Handbrake allows you to convert a Video_TS folder to another format. I output to mp4 or AVI, both of which the WD HDTV supports. Handbrake allows A LOT of customization of the quality of the output so you will need to play around to see what works best for you. There are tons of presets you could use as well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Excellent, now that seems straight forward...I'm sure I'll have to play around but this link takes me to MTR 2.6? is this the most up to date one? as I keep seeing MTR 3.?... (Never Mind I see it right on top about the beta test... i tend to rush sometimes..) sorry

then I will try this Handbrake program and if I for some reason am not getting it (please excuse me for any issues I may encounter) I'll post again.

Thx!!!

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts

Quote:
I have an external Passport 500GB and a Mybook 160GB

If you rip straight to VIDEO_TS, without any additional compression or conversion, that's about 110 dvds give or take, figuring 6GB per dvd.

Quote:
Now which format you are referring to is ... well a good question. I would like it in an HD format.. or be able to be viewed at 1080i rez. with all DD sound intact.

well, there's no way yet to "rip" Blu-ray discs in OS X, and there's little sense saving an SD dvd in an HD format. So, as a Mac user with SD dvds, you usually have two choices-- rip the disc, defeating encryption and protection schemes without any loss, saving it as a VIDEO_TS. Retaining DD 5.1 and DTS is no problem. Apple dvdplayer.app and Front Row like VIDEO_TS. Both MTR and RipIt do this--the main difference between the two is that RipIt will only rip the entire disc, whereas with MTR you have many more options and choices beside a full disc rip. I keep both because a given disc might prove troublesome to MTR but not RipIt. I tend to keep VIDEO_TS, because storage space is dirt cheap and I want the full disc and menu strux intact, YMMV.

Handbrake, as long as you have VLC installed, rips AND TRANSCODES a dvd to a format other than VIDEO_TS, in other words to a format that iTunes, aTV and/or an iPod will play back: .mp4/H.264. The quality can be quite good, and the file sizes are smaller. With Perian installed FR will play all these back, even if you choose a higher quality preset/codec/container that's technically not supported by iTunes or aTV. As long as you include an AAC audio track, you can add a second audio track retaining the DD 5.1 of the dvd. Many, many threads and posts discussing this...in terms of workflow, lots of folks rip first with MTR then transcode with Handbrake, and Handbrake has a very nice feature called a queue--load up what you need done, go to sleep, and in the morning it'll all be done. Quite nice.

what resolution you view any of this at is up to your display, how you connect to it, and what you use for playback...

Quote:
I know you mentioned 3 programs I could use... are these standalone programs or ones I have to use with one another say for encryptions.

There isn't one application that does it all in OS X, the way many of us approach it is to keep a toolbox of sorts at our disposal--a suite of applications--and use the best application or combination of applications for a given task. As you read up on the different apps you'll discover their differences. MTR, RipIt and Handbrake can all defeat encryption and copy protection schemes. DTOX doesn't rip, it comes into play after you've already ripped a disc and discover there's still something in your way, like "zero cells."

In terms of ascending application cost, it's Handbrake, which is free, then RipIt, MTR and DTOX.

We tend not to discuss running Windows apps here, either in emulation or in Boot Camp.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefklc /forum/post/15418819

Handbrake, as long as you have VLC installed, rips AND TRANSCODES a dvd to a format other than VIDEO_TS, in other words to a format that iTunes, aTV and/or an iPod will play back: .mp4/H.264.

what resolution you view any of this at is up to your display, how you connect to it, and what you use for playback...

Sorry but....

VLC installed?

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
 http://handbrake.fr/

You really need to do some of the basic legwork yourself...

Quote:
No more internal DVD decryption

Yeah, we know, no one reading this is going "Oh wow, no more DVD decryption--what a great new feature!" but...deal.

HandBrake will dynamically load VLC's copy of libdvdcss if you have it in your Applications folder in Mac OS X, and if you're on Linux, and you want to live on the wild side, you can install libdvdcss on your system and get the same effect.

Translation of the last paragraph from nerdese:

We're not about to stop you from choosing to decrypt DVDs. If you're on a Mac, and you have VLC 0.9.x installed, you won't even notice the internal capability's gone.
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

·
Registered
846 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NautussutuaN /forum/post/15416882

Looking for assistance in what to use or where to go for programs to burn my movies to my mac book, then transferring to an external hard drive to store and link up w/ the western digital TV media box.

I currently use DVD43 w/ AnyDVD on my "on its last breath" Dell PC but didn't know if I could use those with a macbook.? Or if CloneDVD will work with Mac.... ?

Any advice as to how to go about doing this would be appreciated and if a thread is out there already.. I admit I haven't found it other than some references back in 2007.

Thanks in advance.

There have been lots of good answers here. Your WD Media Box if I remember correctly wont play 5.1 audio but will output stereo. I would check that out first. (I played with the WD Media Box for about 4 hours and gave it as a gift to a friend. Overall its not perfect but for the price and simplicity, it can't be beat for what it does. M2TS files and 1080p MKV files do take a hit even using HDMI output. DVD's look quite decent.)

There is no reason to go to an MKV file. Whether you use Windows or OSX you can if you know what you are doing create a single large VOB file. This is the media file for DVDs. Your player should play that with no problem. If you leave your DVD in their folder/file format you will have to go into the folder. Thus a single VOB is good here too. Alternatively, you can create the VOB file and only copy it over to your drive for the WD Media Box playback. Take your VTS_1.VOB and rename it to .VOB.

Example: VTS_1.VOB becomes MY FAV MOVIE.VOB

In my case, I run Windows (sigh) under Fusion. The only items I have are related to archiving my DVD and Blu Ray "main features." I don't really care about menus and if there are extras I might want to view again and again, I separate them as individual items.

The nice part about the WD Media Box is that you have a choice of OS formatting of the portable media. It will read OSX formatted discs that are NOT journaled which makes it easy to read/write from Macs and handle larger files without the foibles of fat32 (like the PS3).

My tools include - AnyDVD HD, TSMuxer (for Blu Ray), EAC3to (blu ray work), DVD Shrink (works great for creating one large VOB of the main feature after using AnyDVD HD to archive the entire DVD to the drive). I have a few other softwares but not necessarily needed in this topic.

On the OSX side, yes there is MacTheRipper which I have used and the latest version is nice but not as consistent as AnyDVD HD or Clone. Handbrake is a great software if you need to work in other formats. It has some great preset profiles as well as ability to create your own.

Btw don't expect the Slysoft forums to be much help to Mac users. In fact, they are not all that welcomed. Ask more than 4 questions in an evening, the moderator will threaten to ban you. You will get more help here, on the Plex site and a couple of other Mac sites. This site has good responders who listen and try to help out. - Read what they say (in my opinion).

- Phrehdd

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.