AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately I have my HT on an exterior wall of my living room, which doesn't have a coax outlet. It would be very difficult to fish down a new line in this location. The nearest coax outlet is about 20ft on an adjacent wall. Currently, I have a wire running along the baseboard, loose. I plan on buying some plastic channel to put the coax cable in, this will help conceal it along the baseboard, but what are my option for the cable coming out of the coax plate ? Is there a special wall plate I can buy that connects to a plastic channel?

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Ideally, you'd remove the baseboard, cut a channel in the drywall, run the coax, and replace the baseboard. Remove the coax outlet, patch, and paint, or, cover the coax box with a blank cover.

This image shows the extension of Romex, but it would be similar for coax. You can drill holes in the studs for the cable, like in the image, or just position the cable in a channel in the drywall. Don't hit the cable with nails.

Here is a step by step DIY - http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/ho...-baseboard-or-installing-a-raceway/index.html

If you don't want to do any cutting, Wiremold (a Legrand company, available at HD/Lowes) makes raceway and surface mount boxes.

I would suggest using the drywall for its intended purpose - hiding cables.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Coax cable will be easier to route than the 120 volt electrical cable shown in the earlier photo and the linked DIY article. Often times there is a gap between the bottom of the drywall and the floor. This can become a very convenient path for low voltage cables. Just remove the baseboard and fit the cable into this gap, then replace the baseboard. With carpeted floors, there is often enough room between the carpet and the bottom of the baseboard where you can stuff the cable under the baseboard without having to even remove the baseboard. Or, if you remove the baseboard, you can install it a quarter inch or so higher to make a nice gap at the bottom for running cable.

As for sending the wire up to a wall plate, it is easy to run through your wall. You will probably need to take off the baseboard for this part. It should be fairly easy to punch a small hole in the drywall just above the sole plate (horizontal 2x4 or 2x6 at bottom of the wall, see the photo in the earlier post), then feed it inside the wall to your new electrical box or bracket. You can use a low voltage bracket like this http://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-1-Gang-Non-Metallic-Low-Voltage-Old-Work-Bracket-SC100RR/100160916 or an regular old work electrical box like this http://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-1-Gang-14-cu-in-Old-Work-Box-B114RB/100404027. Just cut a hole in the wall at the right spot, but the bracket or box into the hole and tighten two screws that cause the two "ears" inside to grab onto the wall from the back side to hole the box in place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.