AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a DSL susbcriber for the last 5 years and until now I haven't had any issues with 768 Kbps. Two months ago I decided to start streaming video, so of course my internet demands have changed. AT&T says I'm too far away from their central office to deliver anything higher than 1.5Mbps, which is definitely better than the 768 Kbps, but it's still not able to deliver the quality I want from streaming. I know that streaming can only come close to HD when high bandwidth is available, but I just want something that will look good. Right now my streaming quality gets pretty splotchy, but luckily it rarely drops out and has to re-buffer.

Since I've never been a subcsriber to cable, neither TV nor internet, I don't know much about it. Does cable usually come in from up high, like power or telephone? I've got a pair of coax cables that go out the living room wall but they just run around the corner end near the back of the house. I think they were possibly for an antenna. I wanted to try and have everything set up that I can do so it's minimal work on the cable company so I don't get charged for unnecessary work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hard to say. Mine came from the pole in front of the house and they tacked it down the house and used the crawlspace to run.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
My cable is buried from the telephone pole to my house so I'm sure it depends on the provider and you're particular circumstance. They'll want to run exterior cable which has heavier shielding and they'll want to use their own ends, splitters, etc., at least in my case, so you might want to be prepared to bite the bullet.

The only thing you might be able to do is contact them to find out if you can get and use your own modem instead of renting one from them at a monthly fee. I have Charter and they had a list of supported modems back when I bought mine at least 5 years ago. The modem cost me $100 back then which they were renting for $5 a month so I'm to the plus $200 so far.
My mother in law got hooked up recently and they supplied her with a modem/router all in one unit all three times they came back to replace it.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just called Mediacom and the rep I spoke to said they could supply a 12 Mbps connection to my home, there was 3 Mbps and 20 (or 22?) Mbps, so I think 12 is the sweetspot. The installation is free, according to the rep, and it would cost $5/mo. to rent a modem from them. Does anyone have a recommendation for a modem? I recall Motorola being the go-to brand for cable internet and I asked the rep if I needed DOCSIS 3 and he said 2 would be fine and 3 would just cost more. But I did read someone's review, possibly here on AVS, that when they changed from a Moto 5xxx to a Moto 6xxx they got better speed because the DOCSIS 3 (?) and because it had four bands instead of the 1 or 2 the 5xxx had. I don't know much about cable modems besides max speeds. A router, on the other hand, I think I can pick out on my own. I saw that ac speed is available, but I think that would be overkill for any of my needs. I saw that Netgear doesn't have a modem with wi-fi router built in like they do for DSL. Would you recommend having separate modem and router?

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate them very much!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
My modem is a Motorola Surfboard docsis 2 and I have 16Mbps connection (peak claim, very doubtful sustained speed)...streaming hasn't been an issue.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
From what i see on Amazon, docsis 3 modems are only about $20 more than 2. YMMV but if you're going to own it, might as well be future proof.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw Newegg has an excellent price for reburbished wi-fi routers, are routers a item that are reliable to buy refurbished? I love my AVR and that was a refurb, but I didn't know if routers were considered a safe buy or not for refurbed. I will buy a Moto S6121 for a modem, and I've picked a router but wasn't sure which route I wanted to go with on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts