AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what settings can be used on the Z2 to increase the detail in dark parts of the picture. For example, if someone has on a dark coat, are there any settings to increase the detail of the coat, or is this just an aspect of FP.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
The Z2 has great shadow detail for an LCD... even still you are going to miss out on somethings. Welcome to digital FP, especially LCD FP.

Personally I mess around with my DVD player's gamma controls to improve shadow details.

Andrew

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have reduced the contrast (-15) (keeps detail in the whites that are otherwise too 'hot', more than -15 and it starts to dim the image) and use full gamma +7 which boosts overall image brightness, but particularly opens up shadow detail fabulously, with neutral brightness =0. I've tried several lower gamma settings but always end up back with +7. The contrast is still fantastic - with what appear to be bright whites and jet blacks in high-contrast mixed intensity scenes. I've seen several other posts from users who have experimented and ended up with something very similar, including some who have explored the service menu in great detail before resetting everything to the original settings and simply cutting contrast and boosting gamma as I've done.

·
Banned
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks EZRider, I'll give that a try

Edit: gave it a try and much improvement. I looked at the mines of moria for test material and I could see the details on the rocks better. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GreggPenn
One way to get a dramatic change (in shadow detail) would be to shoot it on a Da-lite High Power or Vutec SilverStar screen.
That really doesn't increase the actual seperation of shadows... it just uniformly raises the light levels making them potentially easier to differentiate. I really do not like what high gain screens do to that effect. Everything gets too gray and hazy. While I was initially wowed by the pop of a high gain screen with a digital projector I eventually slapped on a ND filter for the aforementioned reasons. Now I am going to a gray screen.

·
Registered
233 Posts
On the service menu setting, either 204 or 205 (I can't remember the exact one, in fact, it might be 206), will turn the screen to black and white and you can change the shadow detail to your tastes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.