AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Guide to Netflix: 10 Tips to Stream Movies Like A Pro

The Huffington Post Jason O. Gilbert Updated: 8/23/11 04:32 PM ET

How do you build it up and get the most out of the online only service?

1. BUILD UP YOUR QUEUE

2. GET YOUR OLD HOMEPAGE BACK

3. RATE LOTS OF MOVIES

4. OPEN UP: WHAT KIND OF MOVIES DO YOU LIKE?

5. CHECK FOR NEW RELEASES

6. GET SOME NETFLIX HELP

7. NOT INTERESTED? CLICK 'NOT INTERESTED'

8. CHOOSE YOUR VIDEO QUALITY

9. GO BIG SCREEN

10. THESE KEYS ARE HOT

Details: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_934079.html

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
August 23, 2011, 6:00 am

Your Aspirational Netflix Orphans

By THE STAFF

You know those movies. The ones always on your Netflix list, but never make it into your DVD player. That classic you can't quite bring yourself to watch. The movie everyone else has seen, so no one will watch it with you. Our (NY Times) editors' Netflix orphans are below. What's on your list?

On the Waterfront

The Searchers, directed by John Ford.

Blue Valentine

Chinatown

Taxi Driver. I even got so far as to purchase the DVD but I just can't bring myself to watch it. And this year was the anniversary, and I could've seen it in the theater, but again. I just don't think I have the stomach for it.

Fitzcarraldo, by Werner Herzog. Read Herzog's making-of diary; now want to see what madness looks like on the screen.

Pier Paolo Pasolini's Salò.

Rear Window

Aliens

Birth of a Nation

Star Wars

Interiors, the only Woody Allen movie I've never seen.

Miller's Crossing

http://6thfloor.blogs.nytimes.com/20...tflix-orphans/

·
Registered
8,871 Posts
There is always the simple approach. Get an Apple TV or a Roku hook it up to a hopefully large tv and fast internet service. If it's an Apple tv explore the categories and when you find something you like hit the add to queue, don't forget to watch a few things. Use search punch in what you would like to see, as you punch in the letters you see a selection of movies appear, maybe the one you want (it's streaming so not everything is going to be there) or maybe you find something you never expected to find.

As you work your way through you'll find your biggest problem is time to watch stuff( such a problem). Don't forget to hit add to queue when you find something you like. HAVE FUN remember it's only entertainment.

Avoid reviews and critics at all cost.

·
Registered
20,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet /forum/post/20860926

If it's an Apple tv explore the categories and when you find something you like hit the add to queue, don't forget to watch a few things.

How do "categories" on ATV differ from the 23 genre and suggestion lists I see on my Roku? Almost all Netflix devices have these, in differing numbers and differinng maximum lengths. There's a $3 app for Roku that will let you filter and sort the entire Netflix streaming library in a billion different ways.

·
Registered
570 Posts
^^

I have both but personally find the ATV interface easier to use and find movies so I have been using ATV for Netflix most of the time.

·
Registered
8,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott /forum/post/20861883

How do "categories" on ATV differ from the 23 genre and suggestion lists I see on my Roku? Almost all Netflix devices have these, in differing numbers and differinng maximum lengths. There's a $3 app for Roku that will let you filter and sort the entire Netflix streaming library in a billion different ways.

I suspected as much but I only had the ATV on hand. point is either of these devices make for a better and simpler streaming experience than fiddling with a PC.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.