AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Know it's been asked many times but, today is November 22 2010 ( not 2006, 2007 ect.). Looking at HDMI cable "high speed" Monoprice seems to put up more specs and high speed HDMI cables with 3D supprort. BJC says they can...

I just bought a Samsung UN55C8000XF with a 3d blue ray player and an Onkyo reciever TX-SR608 that has 3d passthrough ! Need wires...

lot running longer than 10ft. except for the subwoofer.

I want all that my 3d tv can be...... does the BJC have: Audio Return Channel, 4K x 2K Support, More Color Spaces Supported, sYCC601 color, Adobe RGB Color and Adobe YCC601 color in addition to the X.V color support previously supported by Deep Color. These cables promise to deliver a wider palette of colors to bring you more vibrant pictures.

I can't find this one there (BJC) site..... My eyes hurt from 5 hours of reading all of this new stuff to me...

Also this is my first post and I'm glad I found this site. Going to return my +$200 worth of BB HDMI cable today!

I'm leading toward the BJC because somewhere I read they got a better review on picture quality than the Mono?

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
I want all that my 3d tv can be...... does the BJC have: Audio Return Channel, 4K x 2K Support, More Color Spaces Supported, sYCC601 color, Adobe RGB Color and Adobe YCC601 color in addition to the X.V color support previously supported by Deep Color. These cables promise to deliver a wider palette of colors to bring you more vibrant pictures.

These aren't supported or not supported by the cable. The cable is just a dumb cable. The devices determine what features are supported.

That's it. Any HDMI cable will support all of these things, as long as the cable is of a short enough length and has the bandwidth to support the signals you're sending.

If you want peace of mind and the best HDMI cabling you can get on earth, go with the BJC.

But a working monoprice HDMI cable will look exactly 100% identical to a working BJC cable. It's just at longer lengths and high bandwidths that a lesser cable like a monoprice cable may fail first and provide no picture.

HDMI cabling is basically all or nothing. It either works or it doesn't, there's not really an in-between.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
There are only four cable types (see this thread .)

All cables support all features at short distances expect for Ethernet. You only need the Ethernet type if you actually have a device that supports Ethernet over HDMI (few if any do at present).

The rest (such as Audio Return Channel, 4K x 2K Support, More Color Spaces Supported, sYCC601 color, Adobe RGB Color and Adobe YCC601 color in addition to the X.V color support previously supported by Deep Color) is all hype.

Monoprice sells good (as most sold in other retail outlets), inexpensive Chinese-made cable.

BJC sells the more expensive American-made Beldon Bonded-Pair cables which are probably the best HDMI cables there are for long distances.

·
Registered
556 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by throbinskin /forum/post/19527761

does the BJC have: Audio Return Channel, 4K x 2K Support, More Color Spaces Supported, sYCC601 color, Adobe RGB Color and Adobe YCC601 color in addition to the X.V color support previously supported by Deep Color. These cables promise to deliver a wider palette of colors to bring you more vibrant pictures.

I can't find this one there (BJC) site..... My eyes hurt from 5 hours of reading all of this new stuff to me...

As a matter of policy we really just don't like to misrepresent things. So, while other vendors will claim that a particular cable supports particular features, we will not, because all cables support those features. There is only one specific feature, the Ethernet channel, which a cable can be said to support or not to support. We do explain this on our site, and despite explaining it we still get a lot of "yes, but does your cable support 3D" questions...

Kurt
Blue Jeans Cable

·
Registered
141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutschow /forum/post/19528809

There are only four cable types (see this thread .)

All cables support all features at short distances expect for Ethernet. You only need the Ethernet type if you actually have a device that supports Ethernet over HDMI (few if any do at present).

The rest (such as Audio Return Channel, 4K x 2K Support, More Color Spaces Supported, sYCC601 color, Adobe RGB Color and Adobe YCC601 color in addition to the X.V color support previously supported by Deep Color) is all hype.

Monoprice sells good (as most sold in other retail outlets), inexpensive Chinese-made cable.

BJC sells the more expensive American-made Beldon Bonded-Pair cables which are probably the best HDMI cables there are for long distances.

I agree with everything said here but I wanted to elaborate on a couple points. Many people do buy and sell Chinese made cable, Monster may well be one of them, but there can be a vast difference between the Chinese made cable and complete hdmi cables from what I have seen. I have tested bulk cable from many venders and not all 22,24,26,or 28 awg hdmi cable performs the same. Once they are constructed, I have seen some types that will hold up better than others due to soldering techniques or inadequate quality control. This can vary greatly between companies. I think a very important factor is who "buys" said cables and who follows up to correct any manufacturing issues. Monster cables are very overpriced in my opinion yet I have never heard of anyone saying 7 out of 10 of their cables failed like they might with some Monoprice product. If there were a quality issue they have a lot of clout to get it corrected in a timely manner.

Generally smaller companies pre-pay for all cables and the manufacturer all ready has money in hand before cables are received.

I know of no Chinese company that can compare to a Belden as far as product integrity and quality control procedures and it is great cable. I am glad most of it is still made in the US and hope that can continue. From what I understand of BJC, Kurt would be well aware of any issues in the assembly of his Belden series of cables and immediately talk to those assembling them if problems arose. In an operation like his, I would probably trust the Tartan series cables moreso than companies that jump between brands and manufacturers but that is just my opinion. Sometimes it is just about finding a buyer who cares about the product his or her company sells.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.