AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After owning these towers a few months trying to set them up differently and all. I realised my music listeining experience is a lot better with my Audio technica headphones M50x. I am seriusly thinking of selling these, is there anything i should loo into that ressembles the audio technika quality but in towers or bookshelfs speakers?

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
I don't think free-stand speakers can ever live up to headphones.

Headphones have to move a teaspoon to a tablespoon of air. Your free-standing speakers move many cubic feet of air. Your speakers also have to contend with the acoustics of your room.

But, equally, headphones will never give you the physical impact and sense of space that your free-standing speaker will.

Headphone are also a singular experience. Hard to throw a party with headphones.

The question isn't do your speakers sound as good as your headphones; the question is - do your speakers sound good? If they sound good then ... they sound good.

If you want speakers that sound better, then plan on spending substantially more money.

And what 'good' do you want the speakers to sound. That is, how do you want them to sound? What is missing that you need but are not getting?

If you want exceptionally clear speakers. that can certainly be done, I would say $4000/pr to $6000/pr should do it. But when you buy $800/pr speakers, you have to expect $800/pr speakers

Steve/bluewizard

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea but headphones cost me only 150 and its a better listening experience, so for 800 $ per speaker all i get is cubic air movement and sound presence. Maybe the polk don't sound good to my ears so much bass they lack everything else, i have paired them with an onkyo 626 7.1 ...not to spectacular beside the bass

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Did you audition any other speakers besides the Polks?

People generally like the RTI line from Polk... but it's a very personal opinion.

You should go out to Best Buy, at least; maybe Fry's or other stores that carry speakers near you. Try to listen to as many speakers (and different brands!) as you can. You are bound to find something you like.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Hate to tell you this but you have unrealistic expectations. Decent headphone will always sound better in general than even expensive high quality speakers. Your headphones do not have a room and reflections and other room anomalies and room modes to contend with. Do your headphones have the impact and sound like live music? Didn't think so.

Don't consider price as the only measuring stick for sound quality or accuracy. Many people don't like accurate speakers but prefer speakers that are designed to sound a certain way. There are hundreds if not thousands of inaccurate and or bad sounding expensive speakers.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
When I slip my headphones on and off, at the listening position, while the speakers are playing at a matched level, there's very little (to me) tonal difference, but the presentation is much more believable coming from the speakers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts