AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't spend my time searching threads on the DTivo forum and making smart remarks. I would appreciate it if Dtivo owners did not spend their time at the UTV forum putting down UTV.

No problem with the DTivo users; I would just like them to contribute to our forum, not make us feel badly about the box we bought.

The Emmy thread is a particular example of this attitude.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I sympathize (and I think the vast majority of my posts here are respectful and helpful -- I sometimes give in to temptation, but in jest, not with malice), but you haven't seen taunting like what goes on in the TiVo forum. We get a daytrader who likes to short TiVo stock and periodically shows up with a new username and just spends hours with extremely negative posts.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce M
not make us feel badly about the box we bought.
Agree, however most such comments from Tivo posters have no effect on how I feel about my UTV box. It's still the best $400 I have spent in some years. I believe most DTivo owners have a similar position on their purchase.

Ed

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by walters
We get a daytrader who likes to short TiVo stock and periodically shows up with a new username and just spends hours with extremely negative posts.
That sounds pretty close to an SEC viloation. Try to get a name/IP/location and report to SEC.

Ed

·
Registered
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Dixon

That sounds pretty close to an SEC viloation. Try to get a name/IP/location and report to SEC.

Ed
I'm not a moderator, so I don't have access to the IP address. When moderators do have enough reason to think it's the same person, they typically just delete the username.

Check out "mojodeal" on Yahoo finance message board to get a taste of it (Yahoo isn't moderated, so he's been operating there for a long time).

Edit: nevermind, can't find mojodeal at Yahoo anymore. I guess he got on too many people's ignore lists and changed it.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Quote:
I don't spend my time searching threads on the DTivo forum and making smart remarks. I would appreciate it if Dtivo owners did not spend their time at the UTV forum putting down UTV.

No problem with the DTivo users; I would just like them to contribute to our forum, not make us feel badly about the box we bought.

The Emmy thread is a particular example of this attitude.
So, you feel bad because UTV didn't win an Emmy award?? Like I said in that thread, I thought it was a funny/weird kind of award for a company to win (I didn't even know companies could win Emmy's, actually). I've only seen Emmy's previously for actors, directors, etc. It would be like seeing (to me) a DVD manufacturer win an Academy Award...

The other thread that contains a lot of Tivo stuff is title something like Ultimate TV vs. DirecTivo... so given the topic, it makes sense that Tivo would be talked about...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BrettStah
It would be like seeing (to me) a DVD manufacturer win an Academy Award...
No, that would be an Emmy, too:

Development of DVD Technology – Matsushita Electric Corporation of America, Philips Digital Video Systems Co., Toshiba America Consumer Products, Warner Home Video and Dolby Laboratories Inc.

The Academy does have a science and technology category, but it's for technology used to develop films.

·
Registered
232 Posts
It is good that Tivo users post here but they should state the reasons why they like Tivo and if they have ever used UTV. Microsoft reads this forum too and they want any feedback they can get.

The fact that Tivo received an Emmy is meaningless. It is not based on a comparison of all the PVR's on the market and then picking a "winner".

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by avsciencesq
The fact that Tivo received an Emmy is meaningless. It is not based on a comparison of all the PVR's on the market and then picking a "winner".
I didn't see any details of how they decided on the "winners", actually (2 winners - Tivo and ReplayTV). But I agree it is meaningless... what are people going to say... "Hey, you should come check out the Emmy-winning PVR that I have!"?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Brett,

The particular remark I was talking about was "I'm guessing UTV came in 3rd." This may be a harmless joke to you, but it sounds to some people like we are 3rd class citizens.

I really think that this forum should be an open place to discuss UTV usage, problems, upgrades, etc. Some of us might be less likely to discuss these topics if we know some DTivo viewer will use the discussions as ammunition rather than contribute to solutions.

Bruce

·
Registered
281 Posts
Well, I think things between UTV and TiVo are nowhere near the mud slinging we had about a year ago between TiVo and Replay. I must state up front that I am a TiVo fanatic, but I try to keep a level head. I'm only over here because the Tivo forums are down for awhile. On the topic at hand: TiVo owners are very loyal, and very passionate. There will naturally be some good natured jousting going on. Now, on the other hand, UTV is owned by Microsoft, a company that is NOT near and dear to many of our hearts (we don't need to debate MS here, just suffice it to say that many people don't like them.) MS's $ to pour into UTV has some TiVo owners a little jealous and a little worried. I honestly don't think any TiVo people are consciously trying to offend UTV owners, they are just "fighting the good fight" against the MS juggernaut. Things aren't helped when a TiVo owner goes into a Radio Shack and they try to sell him a UTV by saying "It's a TiVo with WebTV inside!" Many of us have had belligerant salespeople tell us that, indeed, UTV has TiVo in it. I hope you can see our frustration. I think I can see yours.

Respectfully,

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Brett,

The particular remark I was talking about was "I'm guessing UTV came in 3rd." This may be a harmless joke to you, but it sounds to some people like we are 3rd class citizens.

I really think that this forum should be an open place to discuss UTV usage, problems, upgrades, etc. Some of us might be less likely to discuss these topics if we know some DTivo viewer will use the discussions as ammunition rather than contribute to solutions.

Bruce
You are right.. it was meant to be a harmless joke. If anyone was offended by it, I apologize. Sure, people make jokes about the competing products, but for the most part it seems good-natured. Some joked about how long it was taking Tivo to release the dual-tuner update, while others joked about UTV deleting all recordings. It is sometimes hard to express how certain things are meant to be construed through writing, and therefore sometimes easy to misinterpret the intent of what you're reading.

I have no great anomosity towards UTV or Microsoft, actually. Obviously Tivo has the upper-hand in software features, while UTV has some features like WebTV and PIP that Tivo doesn't. Debating the usefulness of these pros and cons is interesting most of the time. Finding weird information like the Emmy's (and passing it along) and reading things posted by others is usually interesting/fun too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.