AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are so many sets to chose from and so much info posted that I can not figure out what to do. I am looking for the lowest lag 55" lcd flat panel that will be used mostly for pc and gaming. I just returned a vizio vf550m due to lag problems and I really dont want to play the swap game if I can help it. COuld you guys recommend a few sets ? Low input lag and best picture at 55" @120hz is all I am looking for.

Thanks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
62 views and not one suggestion ? It is not as if I have not searched and searched and researched. Could I please have a few suggestions so that I dont have to swap sets over and over until I find one that works well for gaming and pc usage ?

Someone posts a question about a power cable and gets five replies with less views ? Am I missing something here ? Seems when ever I ask something in here I never get replies.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
Yes, perhaps this is my "holier than thou" attitude coming out, but I get so outraged when people like you brag about all of the TVs you've returned just so you can get the "perfect" TV for your use. What about all of the other people who then have to get your "castoffs?" Obviously you don't care about them. Maybe that's why there have been 62 views of your "problem" and nobody really cares. Do your own research like most of us on this forum and make up your own mind instead of relying on others to correct your poor judgement!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I don't know about the 55", but my Toshiba 52" xv645u is excellent when set to Game Mode.

I was having issues playing Super Mario World on the Wii's Virtual Console the other night with the picture in Standard Mode. Slippery controls, a weird stretching effect along the sides when you moved. Last night I put the TV in Game Mode to see if the problems would go away, and they did. The game played just as I remembered it did.

Might be something to look into

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/17031532

Yes, perhaps this is my "holier than thou" attitude coming out, but I get so outraged when people like you brag about all of the TVs you've returned just so you can get the "perfect" TV for your use. What about all of the other people who then have to get your "castoffs?" Obviously you don't care about them. Maybe that's why there have been 62 views of your "problem" and nobody really cares. Do your own research like most of us on this forum and make up your own mind instead of relying on others to correct your poor judgement!

Brag about all the tv's I returned ? You mean all ONE of them... Gessh man. I have done plenty of research ok. Your an avsnob and all that typing could have been a friendly suggestion. I am not being lazy. I am overwhelmed by choice thats all and isnt that what these forums are for ? Discussion and helping others ?

Thanks a lot for your "help". I have only taken back one set for your info and I dont want to go through that again as I have to carry it, set it up etc by myself. There isnt a lot of info on lag for sets and this spec is not made public by any of the major players in the market.

Researching has only given me information overload and it seems that there is going to be a sacrifice in some area no matter what set I get. I canty decide and want to avoid what you accused me of which was buying and returning a bunch of sets.

Poor judgement ? WTF is that supposed to mean ? I researched the set for almost two weeks (as well as other sets) and even read the whole manual (which I read before I purchased) and it showed a game mode which ended up doing no more than putting the set in torch mode and still had terrible gaming lag.

If you are the typical user I am in the wrong place for sure. There is no need to be a snob about it. Thanks to those that offer suggestions.

I am looking at a Sammy b650 at the moment but again it is hard to find good solid info on lag and picture quality of gaming modes. My 4 year old 720p sammy dlp has no lag that I can feel at all to my surprise and it looks great. 1080p though is breathtaking. If only the lag had not been so bad on the vizio.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eday_2010 /forum/post/17031986

I don't know about the 55", but my Toshiba 52" xv645u is excellent when set to Game Mode.

I was having issues playing Super Mario World on the Wii's Virtual Console the other night with the picture in Standard Mode. Slippery controls, a weird stretching effect along the sides when you moved. Last night I put the TV in Game Mode to see if the problems would go away, and they did. The game played just as I remembered it did.

Can you still adjust pic settings in game mode ? Color sharpness etc ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Turdhat

Perhaps your being overwhelmed by information because you're not being specific enough in your search. At the top of the page is the google search avs bar. Typing in "gaming lag" gets some good results. I'm sure if you type in "samsung b650 game lag" you will find out all there is to know about the subject. Personally I agree with Extreme_Boky's suggestion. I'm 99 % certain I'm going to buy the sharp 700 series led lcd.

There is one caveat though. These sharp tv's come in 52" maximum, not 55".

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eday_2010 /forum/post/17031986

Can you still adjust pic settings in game mode ? Color sharpness etc ?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd52 /forum/post/17032898

Turdhat

Perhaps your being overwhelmed by information because you're not being specific enough in your search. At the top of the page is the google search avs bar. Typing in "gaming lag" gets some good results. I'm sure if you type in "samsung b650 game lag" you will find out all there is to know about the subject. Personally I agree with Extreme_Boky's suggestion. I'm 99 % certain I'm going to buy the sharp 700 series led lcd.

There is one caveat though. These sharp tv's come in 52" maximum, not 55".

My searches were just what you suggested but there are so many models to research.. How do i find the lowest lagging 120hz 55" on the market thought ? No brand loyalty here. I did see hdtvtest.com but it is un the UK so everything is pal. I guess I could check for NTSC versions of the same sets.

Thanks for those that helped.

·
Banned
85 Posts
I just posted this in the B630 thread, and I would assume the other 6 series are similar.

"Also worth noting for this set (b630) there is a customizable game mode. Once turned on your picture is set to Standard and I believe you can adjust pretty much everything but AMP. Not sure if this set has much input lag, but my last TV's Game mode was not adjustable and it looked horrible so I never used it."

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdhat /forum/post/17032627

Brag about all the tv's I returned ? You mean all ONE of them... Gessh man. I have done plenty of research ok. Your an avsnob and all that typing could have been a friendly suggestion. I am not being lazy. I am overwhelmed by choice thats all and isnt that what these forums are for ? Discussion and helping others ?

Thanks a lot for your "help". I have only taken back one set for your info and I dont want to go through that again as I have to carry it, set it up etc by myself. There isnt a lot of info on lag for sets and this spec is not made public by any of the major players in the market.

Researching has only given me information overload and it seems that there is going to be a sacrifice in some area no matter what set I get. I canty decide and want to avoid what you accused me of which was buying and returning a bunch of sets.

Poor judgement ? WTF is that supposed to mean ? I researched the set for almost two weeks (as well as other sets) and even read the whole manual (which I read before I purchased) and it showed a game mode which ended up doing no more than putting the set in torch mode and still had terrible gaming lag.

If you are the typical user I am in the wrong place for sure. There is no need to be a snob about it. Thanks to those that offer suggestions.

I am looking at a Sammy b650 at the moment but again it is hard to find good solid info on lag and picture quality of gaming modes. My 4 year old 720p sammy dlp has no lag that I can feel at all to my surprise and it looks great. 1080p though is breathtaking. If only the lag had not been so bad on the vizio.

I do apologize for my misunderstanding. When you mentioned the "TV swap game" I assumed that you had taken several back to try and find one you like. Again, my apologies.

Since you originally purchased a Vizio, I'm guessing you are looking at lower tier TVs. However, from everything I've read on this forum, the best gaming TV is probably a Sony, without a doubt. Beyond that, I defer to my fellow forum members. Good luck in finding one that works for you.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
hey i just got a new z5100 and it only has 2ms of lag.... with game mode on, i get way more kills in COD world at war than on my old A650. I noticed right off the bat that i'm dying much less. I'd imagine any tv with 2ms of lag is pretty damn good.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I think it has been stated that the Sony's that do not use the Samsung panels (S-PVA) have pretty good low input lag numbers. For example the models that used A-MVA panels instead of S-PVA were lower in input lag.

Not all Samsung TVs used their own S-PVA panels like for example for A630 or below you could of gotten one with the A-MVA panel which gave lower input lag numbers.

Depending on the Toshiba model too one was faster then the other. 42" model was different since it definitely not use a Samsung Panel since it wasn't made in 42" sizes but the same model TV in 46" and 52" could come with the Samsung panels so yea...

I don't know much about the 55B650 since so far many have reported it only comes with the C panel and don't know if the C panels were faster than the S-PVA panels or not but that could be a good suggestion.

This just talking about quality 120hz TVs which quality means good picture quality. I don't know about Sharp but the picture quality to me sucked balls and not worth it even if it had low input lag.

One thing to note that 120hz TVs will have more input lag because of the more processing the TVs are having and every new year the TVs are becoming worse in input lag because of the extra processing in the TV.

Another thing is that all Game Modes on any 120hz or higher TVs will disabled the frame interpolation which many confuse it with the 120hz but that is just refresh rate which cant be turned off and the fast look is caused by the frame interpolation.

So if your talking about low input lag numbers with having frame interpolation turned on than Game Mode is out of the question and it will have more input lag btw.

·
Registered
551 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdhat /forum/post/17030133

There are so many sets to chose from and so much info posted that I can not figure out what to do. I am looking for the lowest lag 55" lcd flat panel that will be used mostly for pc and gaming. I just returned a vizio vf550m due to lag problems and I really dont want to play the swap game if I can help it. COuld you guys recommend a few sets ? Low input lag and best picture at 55" @120hz is all I am looking for.

Thanks.

Hi! I would like to help you out if I can. I only use my TV for gaming its a Pioneer Elite Pro-111 and it like most flat panel tv's has input lag even in game mode. If you have your heart set on a LCD or Plasma just realize that most have input lag because of the processing in them. Some PC lcd's have close to none in input lag but the picture won't blow you away. From the research I have done about input lag is that anything over 30 ms you will feel. My Pioneer Elite has an average of 45 ms of lag and that is in game mode with hdmi cables!! So you can def feel that especially if your coming from a CRT.

From what I understand the Samsungs are some of the worst for input lag in the lcd range, if you turn on game mode it helps alot on them, usually cutting down the input lag from a disgusting 98 ms to around mid 40's. There is an extensive thread over at shoryuken.com with testing on tv's and the input lag they have, I would recommend reading it here : http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=174085

That will help you out alot and remember that there will be alot of people in this forum and others saying they can't feel any input lag... its there for sure but some people aren't as sensitive to it. You could always go for a Sony GDM-FW900 for gaming, its a crt monitor with no lag
That is what I would recommend and a big flat panel for movies

Let me know if I could be of any further help, goodluck!

·
Registered
920 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetrash66 /forum/post/17034443

hey i just got a new z5100 and it only has 2ms of lag.... with game mode on, i get way more kills in COD world at war than on my old A650. I noticed right off the bat that i'm dying much less. I'd imagine any tv with 2ms of lag is pretty damn good.

I don't think any LCD TV truely has 2ms of input lag compared to a CRT which has 0ms input lag when properly done the test. Still it must be good though... is it faster than the Game Mode on the A650 or faster than the special HDMI2-PC mode? Curious lol...

·
Registered
920 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackvette94 /forum/post/17034490

Hi! I would like to help you out if I can. I only use my TV for gaming its a Pioneer Elite Pro-111 and it like most flat panel tv's has input lag even in game mode. If you have your heart set on a LCD or Plasma just realize that most have input lag because of the processing in them. Some PC lcd's have close to none in input lag but the picture won't blow you away. From the research I have done about input lag is that anything over 30 ms you will feel. My Pioneer Elite has an average of 45 ms of lag and that is in game mode with hdmi cables!! So you can def feel that especially if your coming from a CRT.

From what I understand the Samsungs are some of the worst for input lag in the lcd range, if you turn on game mode it helps alot on them, usually cutting down the input lag from a disgusting 98 ms to around mid 40's. There is an extensive thread over at shoryuken.com with testing on tv's and the input lag they have, I would recommend reading it here : http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=174085

That will help you out alot and remember that there will be alot of people in this forum and others saying they can't feel any input lag... its there for sure but some people aren't as sensitive to it. You could always go for a Sony GDM-FW900 for gaming, its a crt monitor with no lag
That is what I would recommend and a big flat panel for movies

Let me know if I could be of any further help, goodluck!

Agreed... also with the A650 you can use the special HDMI2/PC mode which brings the input lag much lower than the Game Mode it has if anyone doesn't know.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by felonyr301 /forum/post/17034502

I don't think any LCD TV truely has 2ms of input lag compared to a CRT which has 0ms input lag when properly done the test. Still it must be good though... is it faster than the Game Mode on the A650 or faster than the special HDMI2-PC mode? Curious lol...

apparently all the sony and sammy 240 hertz tvs have 2 ms response time, but sammy has much more processing.

And yes, sony has a better response time than the a650 with hdmi to hdmi2/dvi. No kidding, the sony is faster.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts