AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen this posted anywhere yet. This article talks about TI wanting to come out with a $1500 RP set in the next couple years and a $999 business projector within a year.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/020603/32325_1.html

-phil

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Phil thanks very much.

It looks like we will all have to go to the sub $5K forum in the near future.

The interesting thing is that TI appears to be trying to take a heavier hand in development than in years past. It almost appears that they are almost building the projectors themselves.

The interesting thing is that Zimmerman, who is the Home Entertainment arena, only mentioned the price target for future business projectors not HT projectors. I hope he sees similar declines there as well. Hopefully he'll make an official comment about it later.

Anyway, it appears that TI is asking the same question that I've been asking, why is this stuff so expensive? DLP should be available at prices that LCD simply can't compete with. Zimmerman comments about optics prices even though the optics of a 1-chip DLP are MUCH less than 3 panel LCD or LCOS equivalent. How the new Panasonic 480p LCD projector is even possible at less than $1500 is remarkable. Zimmerman is making a "Carpe Dium" speech here to the DLP manufacturers.

Anyway, the future looks bright for DLP but it is surely taking its time getting here.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
Yeah - the situation is coming to resemble Intel and CPUs...Intel now drives so much of what else is in the box and how it works together - memory, etc.

Hopefully we'll see as many advances in DLP resolution as we've seen in pentium clock speeds!

tm

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
tm,

According to Tryg you don't give a damn about resolution. :)

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Phil, Thanks for the link. VERRRRY interesting article.

With HP bringing out the xb31 at a $3,500 street price it would seem that sub $5k 720 16:9 projectors ought to follow rather quickly. But it will be from business projector manufacturers who don't have to worry about cannabalizing their $10 - $20k DLP1 devices from dealers needing 40% margins to pay their overhead.

With the latest announcement of integrated image processing chips from Genesis (FLI2301) selling for as low as $20 in volume they are keeping their part of the TI dream alive. Stacey Spears predicts that this $20 chip will actually be better than an NRS.

But I haven't seem much price/performance improvements in power supplies or optics lately. Big doings in bulbs have been forecasted but no concrete results yet.

·
Registered
502 Posts
@ PhilB

thanks for the link; it will like a confirmation of roumors, I heard.

The bigger suppliers of DLP units are looking into the consumer market -> that is HT;

Also LCOS might come up, produced cheap when it rolls.

And there is one example, that it works:

With the AE100 Panasonic has done the first step in this market. I guess, that this unit will be placed soon in the warehouse scene beneath TV, radios a.s.o , just in the consumer area. And this will be quantities.

But there is no DLP around.

And TI didn´t want be a looser in the mass market, I suppose.

Therfore I think, we will get the $999 DLP pj sooner than we think.

hb

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWigggles
tm,

According to Tryg you don't give a damn about resolution. :)

-Mr. Wigggles
Was he on my list? if not, I can add.

·
Registered
502 Posts
@ Tryg

I know one joke "... blowing air in the ear of a ..... person, then you will bring this person to same level of ..... "

I ask you very honestly, please more basics/facts or be quiet, okay! :)

hb

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
What's the matter tryg, rain got you down? ;)

Here in sunny NYC (okay it's overcast and humid today) the 1280x720 pj is looking pretty good. Can't wait for the 1920x1080 one though.

Seriously though...is there a PJ or CE mfr still on the sidelines who might swoop in and introduce a sub $5k MSRP HD1 pj meant for HT? Maybe sony? I know they're big LCD lovers, but they have a long distinguished history of destroying margins by coming in with pricing orders of magnitude below what's current.

TM

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would imagine that once the HD2 chip ramps up into production, the HD1 chip will be phased out. How fast the phase out occurs would be interesting to know. Given how late the DWIN TV2 is coming out, I wonder if there will be enough HD1 chips left for DWIN to get back it's research costs.

-phil

·
Registered
726 Posts
I would venture a guess that there will be plenty of HD1 chips.

1. When you create a product you make sure your suppliers can meet your needs. As a supplier you don't upset your customers.

2. It doesn't take many wafers to produce thousands of these parts.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
my guess is the 4x3 HD1 chip would still be used in business projectors and the HD2 was created for 16x9 entertainment applications. gotta make it cheaper if sold to the masses in the home.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
the new 12 degree 4x3 XGA chip is not called the HD1. It has some other internal name like the "Mustang" or something - I forget.

From my understanding, the HD1 is a masked down version of the 5x4 SXGA "black" chip (i.e. DM3)

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
387 Posts
I wish they'd stop with this color wheel foolishness and go straight to three chip machines instead, at the current price point for a good LCD, 5-6k. I would be all over one of those. :)

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kimmo,

Quote:
I wish they'd stop with this color wheel foolishness and go straight to three chip machines instead, at the current price point for a good LCD, 5-6k.
Why should the manufacturers do that? They've already got a product which beats LCD quality for 98% of all viewers that cost's them considerably less to produce. They can sell it at the same price as the LCDs and get higher margins. 3 DMDs would just cut into their margins.

I'm not saying I agree with this philosophy, but that's how capitalism works. When you finally see the 3 chippers, they'll run around $20K (my speculation).

-phil

·
Registered
387 Posts
I never said I believed they would, I said I wished they would. A little wishful thinking, in other words. Instead of $1000 one-chippers, make us some 5-6k three chippers.

I realize it's not going to happen in quite a few years though.

·
Registered
502 Posts
@ Tryg

as I learned today, the few big suppliers of DLP pj are doing every effort to built up a three channel way;

1. consumer channel -> DLP for $ 999.- placed in the consumer market like Wall market a.s.o. (the AE 100 shows how it works)

2. middle ranged market -> DLP between $2.500.- and 5.000.-

sold through normal dealers and web-shops

3. high end market -> DLP $ 5.000.- sold only by special dealer

They learned from the automobile industry how to do marketing. Therefore the TOP- Models will be the first

The differences will be

for the consumer channel using a 0.56" DMD (not ready by TI)

for the middle ranged market using DDR DMD with 12° angel or the dual mode DMD (848x480 or 800x600)

for the high end market using the HD2 (1280x720)

They have started with the middle range -> please see at LS 100 or the H55 (Piano will be at the down end of this class IMO)

the H56 or a new unit from InFocus or Barco will come up (available now will be the Marantz or the Sharp, but still with "old DMD") for the high end class

and specified for HT to pick up a fence to the business pj

what will the automobile industry do -> at first they placed the high end model and then the rest (please have a look at Mercedes, BMW, GM...)

(All the mentioned pj please take them as an example, not as a complete list, there will be also a lot "business" pj which will be great at HT)

hb

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.