AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I frequently check the in-stock status for the Titans as I want to use them as my LCR, but when I looked today, they were no longer listed on the website under Home Theater Kits?
A direct link to the kit from Google gave me a 404 error!

Please tell me I didn't wait too long to pick these up...

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Have you tried to emailing ErichH?

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
I haven't... I was hoping somebody here could talk me down :D
I read somewhere that an 18" version of the Titan was being discussed. Might want to inquire about it.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Here it is.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
You can always check the site updates or the forum on the DIYSG site....

Oh wait.... the last update in May I believe said a few weeks so...

Yeah, that is the way Erich operates, you have to email him and he might email you back with information. I find that odd that over the years of visiting that site that he rarely gives any information although he has a place to update. Figure it would be much more time efficient to just throw a weekly or even monthly update to give people a random clue with what's going on--save a lot of time on emails. If you look at the site now, it resembles a going out of business sale and considering the corona thing, not a hard stretch to think that if you are a new visitor.

This utter lack of communication makes building a system piece-by-piece a bad idea. Say you get a kit, build it up and really enjoy it...can you get any more? That depends on if there are any custom built drivers, some of the kits have them so I would avoid those at all costs--because when they are gone, they are gone! Some people like playing that game, it does get tiring after awhile due to kit availability, when they will go in stock--if ever.

Personally, I have become very tired of it so am reverting back to designing my own stuff or looking/modifying open source designs. I purchased a pair of Volt 6 B stocks and asked for the T/S parameters--I posted last year on his forum asking about the T/S parameters of the Volt 6 driver and received no response...crickets. So, time to put my big boy pants on and figure the driver out--this makes me scream because I can purchase drivers from everywhere and they have T/S parameters with them--or they will send that information if asked.

My system is almost done with surrounds being my last build. I'll figure out that Volt 6 driver but go open source for the rest of the surrounds to make them match. The issue is I have friends, family members etc. that like my system and would like to try a pair and maybe upgrade to 5.1 at a later time...maybe Atmos eventually. If I went with DIYSG stuff and they wanted to upgrade in 2 years, I have no way in knowing if such designs will still exist. For this reason, I am completely avoiding DIYSG unless they want to purchase everything at once--history has proven that certain designs have a very short life expectancy and if they use proprietary parts, you are screwed. Not a big deal for me, I can redisign/refurb and rebuild but my family members can't. Won't do that to them so they get only open source, modified open source or true custom builds from me.

My advice is to get what you need and don't wait to add later down the line. If you have serviceability in mind, avoid any design that does not use off the shelf parts. DIYSG is great stuff, it really is but the utter lack of communication, no updates to the site, very little information on his own forum and taking time to delete a bunch of things without any updates that stretch to months and years is tedious. Sure, he is a one man band but he takes the time and effort to update the site, add/subtract things etc. but not throwing at least 60 seconds on a few lines to give the new visitor a clue makes no sense. To a visitor, it looks like he is just burning away stock and is about to close up shop--never a good sign.

Make way for the bad guy! That's me! Sorry, but the completely random nature of that business model is not something I would use for a long term build or source. Never know, he might get everything back online, actually give monthly updates, give full specifications and all is well.... it could happen! The new site updates and move has been months to years....YEARS! Once years go by, that is when I learn to move on. Dookie happens but wasting time/effort on something that could be cleared up with a few minutes of time once a month is a bit crazy. For now, I will avoid DIYSG until they get their schiit together, provide actual updates and information to the site and give meaninful specifications (like weight!) to the kits. Nothing personal just business.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Yeah, I might as well forget about getting a subwoofer flat pack. Everything I looked at is out of stock. I e-mailed Erich when he would be getting more in stock and he did reply quickly but,
never got back to me after that.

"I will check my stock later today. Someone ordered 8 of them on Tuesday
but I think I still have more here."

That was a week and a half ago. He also didn't say anything about getting more in stock. Guess I will have to build my own. :(

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
You can always check the site updates or the forum on the DIYSG site....

Oh wait.... the last update in May I believe said a few weeks so...

Yeah, that is the way Erich operates, you have to email him and he might email you back with information. I find that odd that over the years of visiting that site that he rarely gives any information although he has a place to update. Figure it would be much more time efficient to just throw a weekly or even monthly update to give people a random clue with what's going on--save a lot of time on emails. If you look at the site now, it resembles a going out of business sale and considering the corona thing, not a hard stretch to think that if you are a new visitor.

This utter lack of communication makes building a system piece-by-piece a bad idea. Say you get a kit, build it up and really enjoy it...can you get any more? That depends on if there are any custom built drivers, some of the kits have them so I would avoid those at all costs--because when they are gone, they are gone! Some people like playing that game, it does get tiring after awhile due to kit availability, when they will go in stock--if ever.

Personally, I have become very tired of it so am reverting back to designing my own stuff or looking/modifying open source designs. I purchased a pair of Volt 6 B stocks and asked for the T/S parameters--I posted last year on his forum asking about the T/S parameters of the Volt 6 driver and received no response...crickets. So, time to put my big boy pants on and figure the driver out--this makes me scream because I can purchase drivers from everywhere and they have T/S parameters with them--or they will send that information if asked.

My system is almost done with surrounds being my last build. I'll figure out that Volt 6 driver but go open source for the rest of the surrounds to make them match. The issue is I have friends, family members etc. that like my system and would like to try a pair and maybe upgrade to 5.1 at a later time...maybe Atmos eventually. If I went with DIYSG stuff and they wanted to upgrade in 2 years, I have no way in knowing if such designs will still exist. For this reason, I am completely avoiding DIYSG unless they want to purchase everything at once--history has proven that certain designs have a very short life expectancy and if they use proprietary parts, you are screwed. Not a big deal for me, I can redisign/refurb and rebuild but my family members can't. Won't do that to them so they get only open source, modified open source or true custom builds from me.

My advice is to get what you need and don't wait to add later down the line. If you have serviceability in mind, avoid any design that does not use off the shelf parts. DIYSG is great stuff, it really is but the utter lack of communication, no updates to the site, very little information on his own forum and taking time to delete a bunch of things without any updates that stretch to months and years is tedious. Sure, he is a one man band but he takes the time and effort to update the site, add/subtract things etc. but not throwing at least 60 seconds on a few lines to give the new visitor a clue makes no sense. To a visitor, it looks like he is just burning away stock and is about to close up shop--never a good sign.

Make way for the bad guy! That's me! Sorry, but the completely random nature of that business model is not something I would use for a long term build or source. Never know, he might get everything back online, actually give monthly updates, give full specifications and all is well.... it could happen! The new site updates and move has been months to years....YEARS! Once years go by, that is when I learn to move on. Dookie happens but wasting time/effort on something that could be cleared up with a few minutes of time once a month is a bit crazy. For now, I will avoid DIYSG until they get their schiit together, provide actual updates and information to the site and give meaninful specifications (like weight!) to the kits. Nothing personal just business.
I understand what you're saying completely. I've considered buying HT-8s just to get SEOS-10s and using off the shelf CD/Mid. It seems the SEOS is the only constant but you can't get it anywhere else.

The Volt 10 has had so many iterations, and I think Erich has had some problems with custom vendors like the smaller DNA compression drivers, leading to swapping to Celestion for some designs. I've considered the open source Eminence Coax that was done on AVS a couple years ago. If there was a public xover for the Radian 5210, I'd go that route without question.

The big problem in my worthless opinion is most want to DIY with the primary goal of saving money. That seems to lead down the path of "custom." I'm not here for any savings, but simply because I like the hobby. I value all of the effort Erich has put into DIYSG, but don't understand why he doesn't just offer off the shelf designs, with the exception of someone copying it for profit.

If DIYSG was closer to me, I'd offer to help with packaging or whatever.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I love my DIYSG stuff, but I agree that their inventory situation is frustrating. I hope Erich can stay in business because one day I'll have a big enough space for some monster speakers, and I'm too spoiled by DIYSG to pay for off-the-shelf speakers.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
while all the above is more or less covering the range of possibilities for service from (far too many) small(er?) operations,
I'd like to hear / see something /anything about the actual organizational size /personnel / bricks and mortar thing we are talking about.
just to get a feel for what it is Erich so consistently keeps plugging away at . . .
hopefully with the degree of success / support that keeps him motivated
there's plenty of folk who should want to join the DIYSG train
maybe it's just my timing ,
the last 5 years I've probably dropped close to 3K for DIYSG, mostly based on stuff / impressions I've read here , never went out to hear any . .
a big TY shout out to DIYSG guys who took the time and effort to build, post, share i.e. @bitmap42 , his FUD write up about 88's
the recent snafu with my last 2 88's, the close out, resolved itself , inspite of FEd-EX > lost is lost- too bad
hopefully you'll never have to deal with them on line or even a Cr:"Have I answered all of your questions politely and thoroughly?"
(South Park shout out!)
but Erich was on it . . .
AS for wanting to buy more, sure, if I had the room.
FTR, my bed layer is now 7 of the 15" SEOS horns, 2 x F15's and 5 x 88 Specials.
sweet

·
Registered
33 Posts
Week before last Erich posted in another thread saying he was planning to update stock soon (quote below). That said, his target date was last week, and nothing seems to have happened, with no more updates forthcoming.

It's obviously a hobby business to him, which is fine. I do wish he would restock as I, like I gather many here, have several things I was planning to purchase but haven't been able to for a couple of months. Actually started researching fallback designs the other day--I can wait another month or so, but at some point, I'm going to move onto something else.

I've emailed three times over last two months, and haven't gotten a single response. It's a bummer for sure!

Next week is when I'm really going to start working on getting kits back up on the site (and explain why it's taken much longer to get moved than it should have). I've randomly put some things up, but not in larger quantities yet because it's been hard getting all the needed crossover parts. Last week I did get an order from ERSE for some custom inductors, and PE also got some ports and capacitors in stock that we really needed. PE also says the HT-8 ports should be in stock next week.

A lot of manufacturers closed down for 1-2 months because of the virus and stock has been running out everywhere. Example: I ordered (and paid for) the Anarchy woofers way back on December 17, 2019......they're finally expected to be here at the end of this month. 8.5 months after ordering! Madisound contacted me about the Helix tweeter and gave me a heads up that it could take a couple extra months to get those in stock.

Kits will slowly be coming back up but I'm going to try to do things differently and package up a larger number of each model at a time versus packing three HT-12's, then two Helix, then some sub flat packs, etc. as orders come in.

I sure couldn't have picked a worse time to move everything. It's been way more hectic than I figured.

·
Registered
7,484 Posts
Kind of disappointed in some the comments because I've tried explaining things here before. This has been a very difficult year due to many different things.

1. Jeff bagby passed away. We let some kits go out of stock because they were getting reworked. An example was the Fusion line. I didn't reorder the DNA-360, or DNA-205. Custom parts were designed and ordered (lots of time involved), and then as some of you know he passed away before they were completed. At least 9 kits right there.

2. Inventory and Corona virus. Many kits were out of stock because the virus shut down a huge number of manufacturers for 1-2 months. There's literally nothing I can do about that. Crossover parts....out of stock.....speaker ports.....out of stock. Custom woofers? Well the manufacturer shut down for a month or two. I can't make the stuff myself and there's no way to plan for that. I ordered (and paid for) the 4 ohm Anarchy woofer back on December 19, 2019. They should finally be here in 2 weeks. Nearly 9 months for delivery because one part of those came from China. Same with Celestion compression drivers for the HT's. Ports for the HT's were out of stock. Inductors from ERSE for the Volts were out of stock. Literally nothing I could do.

At one point I finally just said it's worthless trying to get some of this stuff in stock and decided it would be a good time to go ahead and move to the new building. Makes sense right?

3. Moving to a new building. I moved about a hundred pallets of audio stuff to the new building and had two contractors that were supposed to finish packaging rooms for the flat packs and kits. Well that went south quickly with the virus because they weren't allowed to even work. Their employees quit or went on unemployment. So the rooms were half done.....they're still not fully finished. I decided last month to just go ahead and set up an area by myself and just do what I could even though most things were still out of stock. Fun stuff.

4. Documentation. I took some kits off the site because I just didn't feel they were documented properly and the amount of questions I was getting from the kits has gotten tough to keep up with. It got to where I was spending 3-4 hours per day just on emails which means there's half a day of packaging lost. SO, my idea was to take some kits off the site and get them better documented to hopefully cut down on emails. I plan to put things back up as they are better documented.

5. Packaging. Packing orders as they come in was a big time killer due to all the options. Remembering how to package each kit and changing from one to another was time consuming. The goal was to package 10-20 kits per design and put them up on the site. I did the S2000 and S2000 MTM last week and put those up. Next is the Overnight Sensations. Then I will start doing the HT's or 1099's......IF I can get the parts needed. I think the HT-8 ports are back in stock at PE and I got needed capacitors last week.

6. Organizing. I'm trying to get things set up better from the ground up because when this started years ago it really wasn't expected to be done like it is now. This all started off to help store some waveguides and a few flat packs in a warehouse next to my landscaping business and it kind of went a bit crazy. I'm well aware of the issues with the website and inventory, but there's only so much I can do. I'm not a professional web designer and it shows. I'm not a professional writer to explain how neat the kits are, and it shows. If I cut back on kits to get them better organized, I hear "I was just about to order the ones you took down". My mistake was too many options from the beginning and it's made inventory a nightmare.

7. Employees. Trying to hire anyone right now has been pretty much worthless. It seems anyone that's been laid off due to the virus is making more on unemployment than they were while working. So I haven't been able to find any new employees and I'm doing all of the above by myself.

Kits will be put back up on the site, so please realize that. Previous custom parts will always be available, even if I'm dead and gone. I have replacement parts from kits that were done 8-9 years ago. You can't always say that about Sony, Polk, Infinity speakers, etc. if you have a woofer or tweeter blow in 9-10 year old Polks.

I'm trying to get things better organized and under control. If anyone wants to help with anything above, you're welcome to contact me.

·
Registered
7,484 Posts

That's unfair. There are GOBS of companies that put out a product that runs it's course and they either redesign or scrap it. And usually without notice. I always give a notice or move them to the closeout section until they're gone, but STILL keep replacement parts. Heck, years ago I bought two Polk towers and a year later couldn't get the matching center channel.

What DIY Sound Group custom part can't you get right now? I keep replacement parts for probably longer than big companies and have parts from the very first kits. When I get emails from people that have two older kits and need a third.....I do it. I'm actually working on an old Maximus-12 center and single old HTM-12 right now. I did a Fusion-4 last month.....a design that went away 5-6 years ago. I even got the guy the flat pack! Yes, it's a little slower right now because of the move and what I mentioned in the post above, but I get it done. Other companies don't do that.

The Volt-6 will be back in stock. Again, Eminence shut down for quite a while due to the virus and I will be reordering them soon. I can't really do much about the virus shutting down companies and manufacturers across the world.

Kits that have gone away: Some kits do not sell good at all. We have no idea why. But what should I do with them? It's money and space just sitting there for years that could be used on other kits. Example: the Vortex-12 and 15 project cost about $60,000. They're incredibly nice speakers but they've been on the site for about 1.5 years and I'd say maybe 14 of the Vortex-15's have been built. Maybe two of the Vortex-12's. What do you think I should do with them? What would another speaker company do with them?

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's unfair. There are GOBS of companies that put out a product that runs it's course and they either redesign or scrap it. And usually without notice. I always give a notice or move them to the closeout section until they're gone, but STILL keep replacement parts. Heck, years ago I bought two Polk towers and a year later couldn't get the matching center channel.

What DIY Sound Group custom part can't you get right now? I keep replacement parts for probably longer than big companies and have parts from the very first kits. When I get emails from people that have two older kits and need a third.....I do it. I'm actually working on an old Maximus-12 center and single old HTM-12 right now. I did a Fusion-4 last month.....a design that went away 5-6 years ago. I even got the guy the flat pack! Yes, it's a little slower right now because of the move and what I mentioned in the post above, but I get it done. Other companies don't do that.

The Volt-6 will be back in stock. Again, Eminence shut down for quite a while due to the virus and I will be reordering them soon. I can't really do much about the virus shutting down companies and manufacturers across the world.

Kits that have gone away: Some kits do not sell good at all. We have no idea why. But what should I do with them? It's money and space just sitting there for years that could be used on other kits. Example: the Vortex-12 and 15 project cost about $60,000. They're incredibly nice speakers but they've been on the site for about 1.5 years and I'd say maybe 14 of the Vortex-15's have been built. Maybe two of the Vortex-12's. What do you think I should do with them? What would another speaker company do with them?
Erich, I can’t speak for the others, but I for one, commend you for continuing to do your project in one of the worst business environments in recent history due to the pandemic. Doing this without earning a profit and selling these at basically your cost, we should all be thanking you for all that you do. I’d love the Titans some day once I can buy a house (Indianapolis real estate prices are still insanely high for what you get, pandemic be damned). It’s definitely cool to wait. Traditionally with a supply and demand curve, prices go up as supply goes down and the fact that you have kept your prices so low, again demands our gratitude. Thank you for all that you do and I hope that things start looking up for you!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I for one have had all of my questions answered, and problems taken care of. I've also had orders that were fulfilled during the pandemic as well as some before. It's crazy that one guy is able to do the majority of DIYSG in his SPARE TIME when businesses everywhere are shutting down for months due to this stupid virus. So I would like to say thank you Erich, especially for offering explanations on more than one occasion for what's going on. As with everything else in the world, you can't please everyone.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Kind of disappointed in some the comments because I've tried explaining things here before. This has been a very difficult year due to many different things.
I don't believe you have to explain anything quite honestly. Anyone that has ever dealt with you in the past knows that you go out of your way to accommodate (myself included). Your updates can be found here on AVS with a simple search.

I truly appreciate what you have done and continue to do for the DIY community. And I also truly hope that you and yours (and your multiple business endeavors) stay healthy. So many on this forum owe you a great debt of gratitude.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I am amazed that you've been able to do what you have done Erich!

Please pay no attention to 18Hurts' whiney ***** post....unreal for somebody that considers himself a DIY guy! Perhaps he's just overlooked exactly what has gone into building DIYSG without anybody else on staff and that this isn't much of a moneymaker for you; but instead a labor of love.

COVID-19 has wrecked so much of the globe's supply chain that none of that should even remotely be viewed as a DIYSG issue.

I hope you can keep up the relationships you've built and continue to develop products...please keep doing what you've been doing and tune out the misguided negativity!

·
Registered
33 Posts

1. Jeff bagby passed away. We let some kits go out of stock because they were getting reworked. An example was the Fusion line. I didn't reorder the DNA-360, or DNA-205. Custom parts were designed and ordered (lots of time involved), and then as some of you know he passed away before they were completed. At least 9 kits right there.

2. Inventory and Corona virus. Many kits were out of stock because the virus shut down a huge number of manufacturers for 1-2 months. There's literally nothing I can do about that. Crossover parts....out of stock.....speaker ports.....out of stock. Custom woofers? Well the manufacturer shut down for a month or two. I can't make the stuff myself and there's no way to plan for that. I ordered (and paid for) the 4 ohm Anarchy woofer back on December 19, 2019. They should finally be here in 2 weeks. Nearly 9 months for delivery because one part of those came from China. Same with Celestion compression drivers for the HT's. Ports for the HT's were out of stock. Inductors from ERSE for the Volts were out of stock. Literally nothing I could do.

At one point I finally just said it's worthless trying to get some of this stuff in stock and decided it would be a good time to go ahead and move to the new building. Makes sense right?

3. Moving to a new building. I moved about a hundred pallets of audio stuff to the new building and had two contractors that were supposed to finish packaging rooms for the flat packs and kits. Well that went south quickly with the virus because they weren't allowed to even work. Their employees quit or went on unemployment. So the rooms were half done.....they're still not fully finished. I decided last month to just go ahead and set up an area by myself and just do what I could even though most things were still out of stock. Fun stuff.

4. Documentation. I took some kits off the site because I just didn't feel they were documented properly and the amount of questions I was getting from the kits has gotten tough to keep up with. It got to where I was spending 3-4 hours per day just on emails which means there's half a day of packaging lost. SO, my idea was to take some kits off the site and get them better documented to hopefully cut down on emails. I plan to put things back up as they are better documented.

5. Packaging. Packing orders as they come in was a big time killer due to all the options. Remembering how to package each kit and changing from one to another was time consuming. The goal was to package 10-20 kits per design and put them up on the site. I did the S2000 and S2000 MTM last week and put those up. Next is the Overnight Sensations. Then I will start doing the HT's or 1099's......IF I can get the parts needed. I think the HT-8 ports are back in stock at PE and I got needed capacitors last week.

6. Organizing. I'm trying to get things set up better from the ground up because when this started years ago it really wasn't expected to be done like it is now. This all started off to help store some waveguides and a few flat packs in a warehouse next to my landscaping business and it kind of went a bit crazy. I'm well aware of the issues with the website and inventory, but there's only so much I can do. I'm not a professional web designer and it shows. I'm not a professional writer to explain how neat the kits are, and it shows. If I cut back on kits to get them better organized, I hear "I was just about to order the ones you took down". My mistake was too many options from the beginning and it's made inventory a nightmare.

7. Employees. Trying to hire anyone right now has been pretty much worthless. It seems anyone that's been laid off due to the virus is making more on unemployment than they were while working. So I haven't been able to find any new employees and I'm doing all of the above by myself.

Kits will be put back up on the site, so please realize that. Previous custom parts will always be available, even if I'm dead and gone. I have replacement parts from kits that were done 8-9 years ago. You can't always say that about Sony, Polk, Infinity speakers, etc. if you have a woofer or tweeter blow in 9-10 year old Polks.

I'm trying to get things better organized and under control. If anyone wants to help with anything above, you're welcome to contact me.
Dude! Sorry for the negativity you are experiencing. It sound like you are crazy busy! I wish I was in OH...I would seriously volunteer my time on weekends to help!

I commend you for your hard work and clearly great work. People love your stuff! Speaking for myself (wanting to buy more) ...this post helped a great deal. Post this on your site! Seeing speakers disappear entirely had me concerned. I am building a house and trying to rough in DIYSG speaker spots and need the measurements. If they were on the site...noted (delayed due to COVID) I would sit tight and be at ease. There is just nothing else out there and I (many others too???) just don’t have the ability to self design.
I know I don’t speak for every customer...but with a tiny bit more clarity of what designs will be coming back once parts come in would go a long way.
You have a lot to be proud of! And I for one feel adding a bit more margin is not something you should shy away from. I would still buy if they were 10-15% more $$

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
We need some rallying here isn’t that the phrase? I am very grateful for Erich’s efforts because I have speakers that would be impossible to source and/or too time intensive to design that I wouldn’t have gotten nearly as far and they sound amazing.

I think some here are missing the point that you have available very nice kits at very affordable prices made possible by low margins and a passion for audio.

If you feel frustrated there are other options but I have found that if you ask Erich and then be patient and check the site (daily) your requests will come in stock and you order and then the magic of epic packing and shipping happens and the Fedex truck shows up.

Recently that hasn’t been as reliable and I figured he was in moving hell (I’ve moved twice and it’s not fun or funny, especially once you’ve got stuff you want to keep) and just actually felt bad because I could tell what was happening. And it isn’t easy to get help these days. And if you do find help isn’t easy to get stuff done right. And so on.

And, I have some mismatched stuff, ordered two htm10s a couple years ago and now they’re gone, but there’s the ht10 which I haven’t heard yet but should be a good match. The key is that the htm12 got an upgrade and now has a Celestion compression driver and a bigger woofer and will sound better. Isn’t it better to have a new speaker that doesn’t perfectly match your old ones but Sounds Better?

1 - 20 of 99 Posts