AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 491 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Looks good, Mike. I was going to ask you if you were going to do three separate compartments internally, so that the top, mid and bottom would be sealed off from one another. Then I pulled out a volume calculator to check the internal cubic feet. Started typing a long message and then went back up and re-read the pictured post and saw "Quick mock up of box I’ll be cutting window braces out of these pieces of mdf." I should've read it better the first time. These are going to be awesome.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Reactions: eng-399 and Mpoes12

·
Registered
893 Posts
Going to try my hardest to bring it with this one for sure!! 130db of midbass would be nice from these mains with the proper amp powering them. I blame Luke for this after hearing his mains I really wanted something like his and the output even though his are AE drivers.

Depending on what you mean by 130db midbass, I’ll be shocked if you don’t fat exceed that. I came with 6dB of that number on my 12tbx100’s, so these 15’s should be at least 3dB higher than that each.

You also expect to give them more power so that is something as well.

This is going to be pretty ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think Mike has a different plan but that is an awesome amp. For Hypex, it’s a real value. I didn’t realize they would make it available to DIYers.

They are such a great value, compared to the nc400 kits even. I have drivers and cabs laying around the house right now, may get 2 just to try them out. Can't wait to see your behemoths finished though, they look imposing.

·
Registered
893 Posts
They are such a great value, compared to the nc400 kits even. I have drivers and cabs laying around the house right now, may get 2 just to try them out. Can't wait to see your behemoths finished though, they look imposing.

Oh I’m not building a beast. I have a pair of 4th order Bandpass subs with 12tbx100 drivers in them. Basically it’s a single 12” pro driver with 9mm x-max (11 x-var) that i was testing in room. It is basically like a midbass module, as the front chamber is tuned to 70hz.

I was doing burst testing, so keep that in mind, but here were two of the bursts. Go with the typed number, not the Y Scale, as that isn’t accurate. When you Save out a burst number from the RTA it doesn’t match the level.

129dB at 50hZ

96 dB at 12.5hZ. From a 12” pro driver in what is essentially a sealed box at that frequency. I was shocked.

Of course that is still not audible but it’s pretty good subsonic performance for what it is. I tested a 12” Dayton Ultimax in a 2 cube sealed box at the same time and in the same place and could not even get a passing number.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Next upgrade BMS CD? Coaxial with seos-24??

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Next upgrade BMS CD? Coaxial with seos-24??

Yes that will be the next one and AE drivers but down the road I can’t afford that right now. I’m saving for a fox body mustang but after that I’m all in.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Looks fantastic. Would you consider going full range for movies? Also what are you doing with your three 615lxs? Prob a little deep for surround use.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
He's morphing his 615 LXs into these beasts. Once he's but them his 615s will be no longer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Yep the only thing I needed was three more 15” drivers and a lot of wood. Thank god for my new buddy Mike C that CNC’ed these baffles for me. If anyone else is interested in doing the same let me know I can have them cut for you to. It’s not cheap but worth it if you want monster towers. Just check with Erich and make sure he has enough drivers on hand when doing this it’s another 600+ dollars.
If someone wants to buy these when I’m done at the gtg I have a price in mind.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Yep the only thing I needed was three more 15” drivers and a lot of wood. Thank god for my new buddy Mike C that CNC’ed these baffles for me. If anyone else is interested in doing the same let me know I can have them cut for you to. It’s not cheap but worth it if you want monster towers. Just check with Erich and make sure he has enough drivers on hand when doing this it’s another 600+ dollars.
If someone wants to buy these when I’m done at the gtg I have a price in mind.
Thanks for the info guys. Not a bad cost for the bump in capability. Were the backer block rings also cnc'd?

Its tempting but I can barely get the single 15" to move, even with one port plugged for a reported 28Hz response. Perhaps a low shelf boost and then a high pass at 28? Yours is definitely something to eclipse the 612 project if it sees the light of day at some point.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Yes Mike, how about your own take on a legacy Whisper. 4x21” bass drivers in a dipole arrangement and a 24” waveguide.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm ordering titans soonish and this is kinda what I intend on doing at some point. Super curious to see how this turns out. Does the horn and driver have enough clearence to turn 90 degree so it can be used as a horizontal center channel?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Yes that will be the next one and AE drivers but down the road I can’t afford that right now. I’m saving for a fox body mustang but after that I’m all in.

When I get back this is my goal as well. Except i didn’t want to do AE drivers, instead multiple pro drivers. Either 4x deltalight 12’s or a few 18TBX’s.

·
Registered
21,319 Posts
Problem is Mike's subs have ports on the sides so you can't really seal up the mains with a completely solid/flush baffle wall.
he could almost do it by rearranging the subs to fire out over and under the new cabinets. that would allow for pretty much a baffle wall across the mains.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 491 Posts