AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see the Titanic special edition is for sale on Amazon. They have a three disc Titanic DVD. I though there was a 4 disc one or is that just BS? Anyway can't wait for the new Titanic DVD the original was PISS POOR! There very few details about the DVd on Amazon expect that its widescreen of coarse. I hope theres a DTS track but I doubt it at this point. Anyway just thought I'd let ya know and did anyone else see it for pre order? J.H.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
From DavisDVD:

"We've got a pretty major news update for you regarding the upcoming Titanic: Collector's Edition. From what we have gathered from a few sources, it looks like Paramount will release the long-awaited film in only one edition. The initial press release issued back in March (which you can find elsewhere on this site) indicated that James Cameron's uber-blockbuster would be released in both two-disc and four-disc editions. Now, however, it appears that 20th Century Fox, Paramount and Lightstorm Entertainment have decided to release only one version - and that will be a three-disc edition.

I don't know the details for this decision, but I imagine that it involved a lot of consumer marketing surveys and bottom-line budgetary analysis (which is odd, since a two-disc edition would have sold more copies to the casual fan of the film). Either way, look for a three-disc Titanic: Collector's Edition on October 25th."

http://www.davisdvd.com/images/covers_big/titanic3.jpg

DVDEmpire has it for $19.99:

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...item_id=739310

From Davis DVD:

Short of a full press release, here are all of the latest disc specs I have been able to dig up on Paramount's Titanic: Special Collector's Edition. Again, I have to warn that some of the bonus materials may not be 100% accurate or even on the set. This everything I have found out about this release up til now. The release date is October 25th with a retail price of $29.99.

The three-disc set will contain a newly remastered 2.35:1 anamorphic transfer from a new high definition master, along with newly remastered Dolby Digital 5.1 EX and DTS ES tracks. Extras will include multiple audio commentary tracks (one with director James Cameron, another a historical commentary and a third with cast & crew including stars Kate Winslet and Gloria Stuart, producer Jon Landau and executive producer Rae Sanchini), twenty-nine never-before-seen deleted scenes with optional commentary, an alternate ending ("Brock's Epiphany"), visual effects breakdowns, electronic press kit featurettes (James Cameron Focus, Deep Dive Focus, Story Focus, Actor Focus, Building the Ship, Populating the Ship, Sinking the Ship), "HBO First Look: The Heart of the Ocean," "Titanic in 30 Seconds With Bunnies," Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On" music video (ugh), a making-of the music video and more Easter Eggs.

For more fun, look for over an hour's worth of behind-the-scenes footage and featurettes available during the film via non-seamless branching ("White Rabbit" style). Titles include: Ship's Tour Montage, 1912 Newsreel, Timelapse Sequence, Deep Dive Narrated by Cameron, Upside-Down Wreck Miniature, Escondido Underwater Set, Two Roses, Sinking Simulation, 1912 Morph Transition, Southampton Flop, A View From the Pub, Leaving Port, Melting Pot, The Millionaire's Suite, The Engine Room, Titanic at Sea, Digital People, The Million Dollar Shot, The Big Exterior Ship Set, Costume Design, Rose Suicide, Big Ship Set, Tux Story, The Grand Staircase, First Class Dining Room, Dinner Shoot, Third Class Party, A Woman's Place, The Etiquette Kid, The Boiler Room, Flooding Hold Miniature, Iceberg/Deck, Boiler Room Flooding, First Class Lounge Miniature, Shooting in Steerage, Kate's Action Costume, Crane as Helicopter, Lifeboats 13 & 15, Flooded First Class Dining Room, Stage 2 Sinking Set, Faking a Tilt, The Sinking Riser, Ship Extensions, Falling Funnel, Grand Staircase Flooding, Miniature Hall Flooding, Jumping Stunts, Tilting Poop Deck, Deck Sliders, Digital Stunt People, Sinking Videomatic, Ship Split Miniature, Vertical Poop Deck Stunts, The Toilet Paper Shot, Final Plunge, Underwater Greenscreen, Interior Tank Shoot, Breath Shots, Exterior Tank Shoot, Ice Makeup, Open Lifeboats and the Carpathia, Carpathia Medal and The Final Shot. Thanks to everyone who's helped out with this.

Stew

·
Banned
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent work Stew. Still no official word on wether it will have DTs but i seriously doubt it. Anyway I cannot wait for this DVD release. The first one was sooooo bad. J.H.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I cannot wait for this.

I sure hope it has a dts track. I have the dts demo disk with the clip of the Titanic sinking and the sound is off the charts.

·
Registered
848 Posts
It doesn't look like it, by the pic there is no DTS logo on the disc. That sucks, I was really hoping for DTS/ES.

Is Dolby Digital going to be EX at least?

EDIT: Nevermind I looked over the part of the article, they say DDEX and DTSES I hope they are right

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Nothing I've seen confirms the DTS track. I can pretty much BET we won't see it on the Region 1 release.

It's a shame too because the DTS laserdisc is pretty killer sounding.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
No DTS?? Dang it! yes the LaserDisk was fantastic in DTS. Oh well it's one more reason to double dip later huh?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
 http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...83&newsLang=en

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...TITANIC-DC.XML

They did mention 6.1 DTS ES but we still cannot tell whether ALL flavors will have the same audio formats or not.

3-DISC edition will be mainly NTSC (US/Japan/Korea) while 2-DISC and 4-DISC should be PAL (Europe/Australia/Latin America) - do you think that we might be able to get NTSC 4-DISC from Brazil?

Hong Kong and Taiwan are both NTSC but the PR did not give us much details about SE Asia.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Anyone else find it amusing that Cameron's mug is one the box and one of the discs? He deserves credit for making an outstanding movie, but dang, talk about ego!

Funny, I thought Leo and Kate were the leads...

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Ok you guys will hate me for this, but I would rather see bits allocated to the picture quality than have a DTS soundtrack along w/DD. Though it would surely be silly to have separate DVD releases wouldn't it, like they did w/laserdiscs.

Nevermind. DTS is OK. I just don't get too excited about it anymore now that my ears are failing me (I am impaired in one ear, I think because of all the hours in my college daze of listening to Led Zeppelin in enclosed Koss headphones!!!).

:eek:

·
Banned
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Titanic will be in HD on Cinemax HD tonight at 8:00PM. I will not miss it I can't wait! J.H.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.H.
Titanic will be in HD on Cinemax HD tonight at 8:00PM. I will not miss it I can't wait! J.H.

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll either watch it or record it myself.

·
Registered
27,228 Posts
Quote:
Hopefully it will be OAR and Dolby Digital! Can't wait to find out! J.H.
The HBO/Cinemax airings of Titanic in HD have all been OAR but Dolby 2.0. It's an older transfer.

·
Banned
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah I watched it and was very dissapointed with no 5.1. It tuined it for me so I really can't wait for the new DVD with DTS. J.H.

·
Registered
13,827 Posts
Quote:
Anyway can't wait for the new Titanic DVD the original was PISS POOR!
Actually, for a non-anamorphic title, the original release was about as good as you could get, and had no edge enhancement (which was very unusual as almost all titles had EE when this was released).

That being said, I still never bought it, since I wanted to wait for an anamorphic version. The wait will finally be over in October!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Am I reading the specs right in that the deleted scenes can only be accessed individually and not while watching the movie? In other words, is there a big 4 hour version of the movie on this disk or just a bunch of disjointed deleted scenes?

Don't get me wrong, I want to see these scenes, but it would be especially nice to see them within the movie and in context.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.