AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that titanium tweeters are usually come on premium models from the same company that has aluminum tweeters for budget models. Is there really a huge sonic difference between titanium and aluminum?? Or is titanium just a marketing ploy to charge more for basically the same thing? I'm wondering if its worth the upgrade to 1000+ more for a speaker set for titanium.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I don't really like the sound of either.

Aluminum and titanium can produce a harsh ringing sound and can be fatiguing to listen to if not paired with a properly designed crossover.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeperSupra /forum/post/16483793

I don't really like to sound of either.

Aluminum and titanium can produce a harsh ringing sound and can be fatiguing to listen to if not properly designed.

I'm currently using Mirage Omni's which has aluminum tweeters and haven't experienced any ringing or ear fatigue. Was thinking about upgrading to the new OS3 with the titanium tweeters if they sounded much better.

·
Registered
22,434 Posts
It's not just titanium, there are also a wide variety of titanium alloys, beryllium and more. Every metal has it's unique set of pluses and minuses, and the application is easily as important as the material.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Aluminum and titanium can handle higher power levels and reach higher volumes than soft dome silk tweeters and such. But as Sleeper said, the hard metal tweeters can produe ringing artifacts in the sound and generally produce a harsher sound than other tweeters. I personally do not like Aluminum becuase I can notice that nasty 4kHz stuff too much. But to each their own.

My guess would be that sicne aluminum tweeters are used for higher volume levels and power handling, a titanium tweeter would be used for even higher levels of power.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
The absolute smoothest tweeter I ever heard was an aluminum dome Scanspeak 9800. It literally did nothing offensive or annoying. I've never heard that in any other tweeter. IMO diaphragm materials have the most negative impact amongst junk drivers, not good ones.

·
Registered
205 Posts
All hard dome tweeters, whether alum, Titanium, Magnesium or Beryllium are not in the same class as silk dome which are not in the same class as ribbon tweeters. That's why there's such a cost difference between those three. I hear the difference in the JM Labs Beryllium inverted tweeter, but it's not to my liking nor my friends.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not a big fan alum, titmn tweeters either. Beryllium, silk or ribbon is all I will touch. As far as the power ratings and freq response I don't think you can make a general statement that one is better than the other. Stiffness comes into play but there are coated silk domes I know of that can stay just a "straight" as any alum tweeter up to 30kHz... way higher than needed. Also.. don't know of many high end brands that are using Titmn tweeter..

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Most of you are at least partially incorrect, and in a variety of areas. CVickers is spot on, though. KY Colonel is correct, too.

The material doesn't mean much; it's the implementation within the tweeter design, as well as in the crossover design and implementation within the speaker system. There are some cloth-dome tweeters that have nasty in-band and out-of-band resonant peaks, even though that's what metal dome tweeters are "known for." Many speaker designers ignore the inherent peaks in a tweeter, and they aren't flattened in the crossover. One very (VERY) expensive speaker system from a high-end electronics company uses a couple-hundred-buck Scan-Speak tweeter, and crosses over from the midrange too low, so a nasty resonance is audible. (This particular tweeter has power handling problems down this low, too.) That's the speaker designer's fault.

Metal dome tweeters tend to act as storage devices. They're fast, but underdamped, and in an impulse test, the attack time is quick, but they tend to ring. Some metal dome tweeters don't have this problem as bad as others. It's interesting that a Scan-Speak 9800 was singled out as a stellar performer (it isn't bad at all), when the flagship Scan tweeter, the R2900 (I listen to three of them in my theater every day) is not metal. AND this Scan has the HF extension of a ribbon, with usable response to 60 kHz. And through Madisound...they're only $398 each.

Also, titanium is cheap, and it's a great marketing gimmick. Titanium domes show up in $150 speaker systems. China, with no pollution regulations, cranks out lots of titanium stuff for cheap these days. Same with carbon fiber. And the same is true for midrange drivers. The cheap ones are usually polypropylene, kevlar, carbon, unobtanium, mylar, bextrene, etc., or some other good-sounding marketing term. The Scans we use in some of our Triads are paper. The less-expensive Gold LCR woofer cones are aluminum, used low enough that ringing isn't an issue. Our cheapest, imported round ceiling speakers use carbon fiber cones. Kind of funny, really.

There are advantages and disadvantages to any tweeter diaphragm material, and that material is, in fact, only a part of the story.

·
Registered
153 Posts
There's obviously some very-very nice speakers with metal dome tweeters.

As far as ringing... is their ringing when a metal instrument produces a sound? For example, a cymbal. I've heard folks swear that a silk dome cannot accurately reproduce the sound of a cymbal because it's missing that ringing and it just overall sounds artificial (compared to the real thing).

Like Paul points out, the same thing happens with mids & woofers when it comes to material choices. There are pro's and con's to every material and you can find excellent speakers at all different price ranges made out of a wide variety of materials. What you have to do is determine where your priorities are and then decide accordingly.

·
Registered
16,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVickers /forum/post/16484454

Also.. don't know of many high end brands that are using Titmn tweeter..

KEF, on the REF series. I can't speak to whether or not it is just a gimmick. But, as Paul said, for the amount needed for the tweeter, it is cheap, and they do not use it on the lower speaker lineups. Not that that really means anything. Legitimate reason or not, I'm sure that somewhere on their website or in the literature they attempt to explain why they use titanium for the REF series tweeters.

·
Registered
58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/16485584

KEF, on the REF series. I can't speak to whether or not it is just a gimmick. But, as Paul said, for the amount needed for the tweeter, it is cheap, and they do not use it on the lower speaker lineups. Not that that really means anything. Legitimate reason or not, I'm sure that somewhere on their website or in the literature they attempt to explain why they use titanium for the REF series tweeters.

again.. don't know of any high-end brands that use them...

·
Registered
58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by racineboxer /forum/post/16485571

There's obviously some very-very nice speakers with metal dome tweeters.

As far as ringing... is their ringing when a metal instrument produces a sound? For example, a cymbal. I've heard folks swear that a silk dome cannot accurately reproduce the sound of a cymbal because it's missing that ringing and it just overall sounds artificial (compared to the real thing).

Like Paul points out, the same thing happens with mids & woofers when it comes to material choices. There are pro's and con's to every material and you can find excellent speakers at all different price ranges made out of a wide variety of materials. What you have to do is determine where your priorities are and then decide accordingly.

Not to be a chooch here.. but are you serious with the whole cymbal sound reproduction thing??!!?? Do you also think a metal sub cone is better because bass stings are metal?? Should drivers be made of wood to better produce the sound from toms and a kick?? :0

·
Registered
16,919 Posts

Quote:

As far as ringing... is their ringing when a metal instrument produces a sound?

That is not what "ringing" is, although a tweeter may exhibit "ringing" when reproducing a "metal instrument". It can exhibit "ringing" with anything, though. Higher-end manufacturers who use metal-dome tweeters usually claim to go to some lengths to address the ringing issue. I can't speak to how successfully, though.

Quote:

I've heard folks swear that a silk dome cannot accurately reproduce the sound of a cymbal because it's missing that ringing and it just overall sounds artificial (compared to the real thing).

That's a broad generalization but I've never heard a fabric-dome that can reproduce cymbals (and certain other things, too) as well as the best metal-dome tweeters can. But I certainly haven't heard every fabric-dome tweeter that exists (or metal-dome tweeter, for that matter). Not nearly.

·
Registered
16,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVickers /forum/post/16485595

again.. don't know of any high-end brands that use them...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVickers /forum/post/16485645

(not being confrontational in any way)

·
Registered
16,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVickers /forum/post/16485621

Do you also think a metal sub cone is better because bass stings are metal??

Not that it really means anything, but a bass note doesn't "sound" like metal being struck, as is the case with a cymbal.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts