AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like a good little HDTV freak I've consulted TitanTV to find out what antenna I need.

TitanTV suggests the Antennacraft AC-9.

Most of my transmitters are North of me. My only problem is a FOX affiliate that is about 45 degrees east of where my antenna would point.

Will this antenna work for me? How screwed am I if I don't wan't a rotor?

I have zero problems with line-of sight. There isn't a hill or tree within thirty miles of my roof. (I might be exaggerating but I'm not in the mood to find out.)

I know, I know, it's VERY subjective. I'm just looking for experience with Titan and what any may have tried after this type of antenna.

Thanks!

------------------

Center Your Home

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Brian,

I would take TitanTV's suggestion with a grain of salt. I think every time I've searched for someone's local stations TitanTV has recommended the Antennacraft for an outdoor antenna and the Megawave for an indoor antenna. These really could be the best antennae for the 5-10 completely different cities I've plugged into their system, but maybe not. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

Another problem you will quickly notice is that Radioshack and Channelmaster antennas are not on their list of available/recommended antennas. Winegard and Channelmaster make pretty much the best quality consumer-oriented antennas. Radioshack antennas are considerably cheaper, but there is a Radioshack just about everywhere and they have an excellent return policy.

Jim Burns, a fellow forum member, recently designed some new antennas for Gemini. They should be released in the next week or two. Jim has been hyping these pretty hard on the forum. If they're half as good as he says, they should warrant a look.

Try a bunch of antennas and see what works best for you. Since the Fox station is 45° off, you may want to try a Channelmaster 4221 or 4228 bowtie antenna and aim it in between the Fox station and the rest of your stations. The bowtie arrays seem to have the best multipath rejection while maintaining a pretty wide beam width. (I know, those are kind of contradictory things from an engineering point of view, but it seems to work in the real world.) You may need to go with a rotor.

Jim

------------------

Let me get this straight, this show is hi-def and 5.1, but my local affiliate makes it crappy NTSC and mono?!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.