AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 256 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone know if you can add channels with this unit? I live in a fringe reception area and use a rotator. I'm concerned the autoscan won't find all available channels. I'm staying away from the LGs with the left channel problem. I like the CM-7000, but my coupon wont wait. The only other option is a funia.

·
Registered
29 Posts
well if digitalstar.com is on the ball i expect my boxes by the end of the week. Should be some fun testing over the weekend i hope(weather permitting). Spring gives me a fair idea of how these tivax boxes will perform in a crappy environment hehe.

A question here as well(you might even classify it as a hypothetical question). All CECB boxes start out as full featured chips right? Then they are "dumbed down" to meet FCC rules on CECB boxes? Is this correct?

·
Registered
232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIVO /forum/post/13851029

well if digitalstar.com is on the ball i expect my boxes by the end of the week. Should be some fun testing over the weekend i hope(weather permitting). Spring gives me a fair idea of how these tivax boxes will perform in a crappy environment hehe.

A question here as well(you might even classify it as a hypothetical question). All CECB boxes start out as full featured chips right? Then they are "dumbed down" to meet FCC rules on CECB boxes? Is this correct?

That's correct. Lots of these tuners are built for OTA,Cable and some even

do European digital tv standards.. ITs cost effective.. THey wouldnt want

to start a line to make chips for a limited production run of chips for a program that will end.. Another reason. Easier to just turn that feature off

in software :p

John.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagger666 /forum/post/13716633

If you already have a wide screen tv why would you need a decoder box? None of these will give you HD and please don't tell me you fell for the HD ready tv sold with out the HD tuners. That always seam stupid move to me

Because back when I purchased my wide screen, 1080i, HD TV, they had no built-in HD tuners (no ATSC, no QAM). Just the ol' NTSC tuner.

I still don't think it was a stupid move, as you claim. The alternative you are suggesting would have been to buy a large screen SD 4:3 set, and today I would still have that SD set.

But you do point out a major flaw with the coupon program. It doesn't support all "early adopters" of HD, who now need a HD tuner with 720/1080

component output.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnied /forum/post/13855897

That's correct. Lots of these tuners are built for OTA,Cable and some even

do European digital tv standards.. ITs cost effective.. THey wouldnt want

to start a line to make chips for a limited production run of chips for a program that will end.. Another reason. Easier to just turn that feature off

in software

So, what we need is the equivalent to a cell phone's "seem edit", which would re-enable these features?

·
Registered
29 Posts
the one thing id love to see turned back "on" would be QAM(if its possible) but wouldnt do me much good on 4:3 tv

·
Registered
17,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltA /forum/post/13856270

But you do point out a major flaw with the coupon program. It doesn't support all "early adopters" of HD, who now need a HD tuner with 720/1080 component output.

It's not supposed to. And if you think about it, it really shouldn't have to.

If you want a full-featured piece of A/V gear, go out and spend the money. You really don't expect our government to be subsidizing it, do you? What - are you one of these "Everythings free in America!" kind of immigrants or something?

If you were an early adopter that bought a display without an ATSC tuner, that's your problem. Everyone else who did so has bought an outboard tuner by now. If you haven't, you've probably been using a provider's tuner. So keep on using that. What were you doing all these years? Watching stuff through it's NTSC tuner? And just waiting for someone to practically give you a free ATSC one?

Settle for the subsidized SD one and shut up or go out and spend the money on an HD one already.

I'm really getting tired of reading this here. If you're just a green newbie to all this stuff, go and read through the HDTV hardware forums and see what people had to spend to receive HD all these years. HD is a luxury, NOT a necessity.

·
Registered
349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski /forum/post/13858600

Settle for the subsidized SD one and shut up or go out and spend the money on an HD one already.

I'm really getting tired of reading this here. If you're just a green newbie to all this stuff, go and read through the HDTV hardware forums and see what people had to spend to receive HD all these years. HD is a luxury, NOT a necessity.

Amen to that----- I'm one of the ones that bought a rear projection without an atsc tuner because it was half the cost of one with a digital tuner, I purchased a tuner later that was almost half the cost of tuners at the time.

That was 5 years ago

Now I have two dvd recorders with digital tuner that cost less than that tuner. Tuners can be had for a song and dance these days. I have 3 of those that output hdtv that cost around 40 bucks a piece

The coupon units in my opinion are great for upgrading a regular analog tv and at 40 dollars off what's there to complaining about????

·
Registered
53 Posts
First post here. Hope someone can use this info to help us all out.

I recently purchased the Tivax STB-T9 and the Artec T3A Pro. First off, I agree with those who say the "Zoom" functions on the Tivax completely suck. I don't want to have to switch the aspect ratio each time I change channels, so I would never use this box on a regular basis. The Artec is much nicer from that standpoint.

However, one of the reasons I bought the Tivax was to experiment with it. So I recently hooked up a serial cable to see what I could see. For anyone interested in doing the same, I think I ended up using a null modem cable to get it to work right.

My terminal settings were: Baud - 115200, Data bits - 8, Parity - none, Stop bits - 1.

This got me through to a "Zmon" prompt. But, I'm not really sure what that is.

I captured a few logs of the serial output which I will attach to this post. The first was simply the "help" output. The next was the "help all" which gives more details on each command. And the third was the output from the "config" command, which prints out a config file.

If anyone has any suggestions for me to try while I have this hooked up, I'm all ears.

Tivax STB-T9 Help.txt 7.732421875k . file

Tivax STB-T9 Help All.txt 10.4951171875k . file

Tivax STB-T9 Config.txt 15.0712890625k . file

Attachments

·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Very useful! This is what I was hoping someone could do (haven't ordered my Tivax yet).

If you would be so kind, open up the serial connection before turning the unit on, and see if you get any kind of data as you power the unit up - maybe it outputs its boot process to the serial connection (I knew an ATSC tuner that did).

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
OMG!

From Config-1.txt:

option SUPPORT_DTT768XX_AFT 0

option SUPPORT_POWER_SAVE_MODE 0

option SUPPORT_740_LOW_POWER 0

option SUPPORT_EAS 1
option SUPPORT_QAM 1

option SUPPORT_CHMAP_ANALOG_DIGITAL_INTERLEAVE 1

option SUPPORT_NEW_CHANNELSCAN 1

option SHOW_VIRTUALCHANNEL_COUNT 1

override SUPPORT_BDF_FONT 0

override SUPPORT_ZTF_FONT 1
override SUPPORT_QAM 0

override ZTVAPP_CONV_BOX 1

override FORCE_AC3_RAM_MIXED_CODE 1

override SUPPORT_DIRECTPES_AUDIO 0

override SUPPORT_ANALOG_AUDIO 0

·
Registered
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aethyrmaster
If you would be so kind, open up the serial connection before turning the unit on, and see if you get any kind of data as you power the unit up - maybe it outputs its boot process to the serial connection (I knew an ATSC tuner that did).
Here's the log from the boot sequence.

Tivax STB-T9 Boot.txt 4.0029296875k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
810 Posts
whitepelican, excellent work! If it can be figured out how to hack this box, then it elevates it to the top of my list.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepelican /forum/post/13883097

Here's the log from the boot sequence.

It is definitely C code. I couldn't tell what OS is running. It is linking libpng which is open sourced.

61 - 80 of 256 Posts