AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a satellite newbie and HDTV journeyman. I have a DTC100 today handling just OTA with my cheapo radioshack antenna. DTC100 connects via VGA passthru to CI Scaler today which gets the signal to my projector via a 25 ft. run. I want to switch from ATT Digital Cable to Satellite. What prompted this all is my old SVHS VCR just died, so I'm doing the 169time upgrade with the AVX-1 and buying the JVC 30000U Digital VCR (yes, I know about the problems, but am forging ahead).

I don't want to record much regular DTV using the JVC because of the known problems and thought a Tivo might be the best option. My searches haven't found this combo, since most folks use the Directivo combo as they don't have HDTV.

I know I need an oval dish, probably 3 LNB with a multiswitch. I have a cable home run from my garage to all 4 tvs (including a housemate's downstairs), so at the moment there's only one coax to my system. Will post later on the multi-tv issues. I assume I'll connect the DTC100 to the JVC via firewire, JVC to CI how - just back through the firewire? What kind of new (if any) runs will I need from my garage cable center to my main system area?

Any help/thoughts would be appreciated. Finally, is this whole thing with adding in Tivo a bad idea?

Thanks, David

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump - I'd love some feedback....

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by h2ofun
there is no TIVO for HD shipping that I am away of unless its PC based.

dave
I'm pretty sure that the only real single solution (not 2 PCs) TIVO like functionality for HD is the AccessDTV card in a computer, as Dave implied. Being able to pause live HD is awesome and I'm hoping that someday we will get something like this with the 169time solution to the PC for satellite stuff (right now it's just OTA from an antenna to the AccessDTV). I don't know if that will happy, though, as there are some higher priority items for them to work on. Rick, who does the DVHSTool is working on some stuff that I'm hoping will get us closer to this, but we'll see.

The other ones are planned releases of HD TIVO like devices sometime in 2003 (that usually doesn't mean early :) ). And the price - I'm hoping it won't be one of those, "If you have to ask..." kind of things.

--Darin

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dave and Darin, thanks for responding, but I think I misled you guys. I'm not looking for HD Tivo (except in the same way everyone would love it) just to incorporate Tivo for Digital and Analog non-HD recording to lower the amount of usage on the JVC 30K. So guidance on how to hook up Oval Dish, DTC100/HDVR/avx1, Tivo, JVC30K, with CI as passthrough to projector, and also a regular svideo input analog tv. Complicated enough?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.