AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the Lg 32lc2du 2 days ago and it works perfect. I have rcn cable box and a dual tuner Tivo (non HD) hooked up.

The current configuration is: cable out of wall into a 3 way splitter. One goes directly to the tv via RF. (get my basic 2-125 channels). 2nd cable goes to rcn box and 3rd goes to the Tivo. The rcn then ouputs the signal to tivo box via composite wires. The Tivo box then outputs the signal to the TV via composite wires. (non HD tivos only allow cable or composite video no hdmi or component.

This current set up works perfect for me because it allows me to record 2 shows at one time (one premium channel and one non premium channel OR 2 non premium channels... Unable to record 2 premium channels at same time (TIVO restriction) I can also watch basic tv (2-125) while recording 2 shows.

My dilemma is this: I will be getting my HD DVR from my cable company on Saturday. They state that their HD DVR will record HD channels and will also record 2 stations (dual tuner) regardless if premium or not.

Now do I use the Tivo and the HD dvr together or should i take the TIVO box off the grid and add it to the tv in the bedroom? Is it possible to have both dvr's coexist on the same tv? It sounds like it is possible but tivo controls the cable box changing duties too....

Any ideas on a better setup or what is your though on how I should continue with tivo and HD dvr from my cable company?

thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
999 Posts
I own an S3 TiVo, and rent a Motorola 6412 HD DVR, and I DO have the 6412 hooked into anotehr S2 TiVo for SD recordings of premium channels. Works great. If the HD DVR needs to use BOTH its tuners at the sme time as a scheduled S2 TiVo recording, the S2 recording will 'fail' (wrong output), but I've found that the 6412 is nice about SINGLE recordings. It ALWAYS does that on its background tuner, leaving the foreground/active tuner a willing slave to my S2 TiVo's whims

I'd turn off suggestions, especially if you occasionally plan to watch the HD DVR 'live' or even behind-live for HD shows - otherwise a TiVo suggestion will occasionally blow away your carefully rpepared NFL game buffer

(To pre-empt questions ...) I have retained the 6412 because I can't afford a second S3 now, and I want more than the two HD tuners the S3 offers. I record all the shows I LIKE and WANT recorded on the S3, and extra stuff "whoa, nice Nature program - maybe I'll watch it someday" on the 6412 only.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.