AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Hughes E86 and I want to add a stand alone tivo. I know it won't record HD. What is the simplest way to set one up? I am driving the wife crazy with all of the remotes laying around. hehe. Also thought about adding one of the new directivo units. What would be best? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Quote:
Also thought about adding one of the new directivo units. What would be best?
I'm using an E-86 and a DirecTivo. It's the best combo until there is an HD DirecTivo. As for the "best" DirecTivo, there isn't one. If you can still get a series I DTivo, all three models (Hughes, Philips & Sony) were made in the same factory and have the same guts. Remotes and cases look different and the Sony controls Sony VCR's. Series II models are only made under the Hughes brand.

As for the remotes, just get a universal and program it to control everything.

-Robert

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Second choice, after the DirecTivo suggested above, is to get another sat reciever with serial control. That way the Tivo will have reliable control over the reciever and you can watch HD on your E86 while Tivo is recording something else.

·
Registered
75 Posts
hey guys, i'm excited to hear that you have a similar set up that i do... there's actually another thread on here, that is trying to address a similar issue. So i just got the hughes E86, and i think the HD pq is great, My concerns with the unit are: having to swtich from HD to SD manually to record on my tivo and then switch back if i want to watch hd. I've also heard concerns about the SD picture quality. Any opinions from those of you who have had the box for more than a week? I'm also pretty happy with the OTA reception. I'm still on the fence on whether to keep this box or return it for the samsung T160, which can output Svideo and component simultaneously, so my tivo will still record in SD even if I'm watching in HD.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
To me it would be very important to let the Tivo have complete control over a sat reciever. That way it can do what it needs to do and I could watch whaterver I want on the HD reciever without interfering. IMHO they should be independent.

- Mike

·
Registered
75 Posts
Miimura, I agree with you totally, but the only problem i have with that is that i only have one RG6 line running out of the wall in my family room where I want both Tivo and the HD box. I'm told that there is no way to split the signal into two to run both SD STB and the HD STB. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Is running a new line out of the question? What's you situation? Two story house? There are very few times where a second line or even a third can't be run.

-Robert

·
Registered
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jamson8
Miimura, I agree with you totally, but the only problem i have with that is that i only have one RG6 line running out of the wall in my family room where I want both Tivo and the HD box. I'm told that there is no way to split the signal into two to run both SD STB and the HD STB. Any ideas?

For complete functionality, you would need 2-4 RG6 runs to the family room for complete functionality with a D*Tivo and HD STB:

1 RG6 feed for the HD STB (can use diplexor to support D* and OTA signals)

2 RG6 feeds for a T60 D*Tivo (as it has 2 tuners, if you want to support recording 2 channels, or watching and recording different channels). The T60 can work with 1 RG6 feed with less functionality. I think Series 2 D*Tivos only require 1 RG6 as dual tuners are not supported.

If you're going to pull additional coax, I pulled a 4th coax from the family room to the bedroom which I use to output the D*Tivo RF output to the bedroom (with an IR extender for control). This allows us to watch recorded Tivo shows in the bedroom and use the D*Tivo also as our bedroom STB (maximizing the use of the $4.99 extra converter fee).

I have the HD STB and D*Tivo setup and it is wonderful. Set you season subscriptions and you can see anything that you miss in HD on Tivo (except HDNET because it's not broadcast in SD). Highly recommended!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
My only problem with having both HD and (two) DirecTiVo receivers feeding the TV is that, since I use the TiVos for SD viewing, I find myself frequently reaching for the non existant pause and back-up buttons on the HD remote while viewing HD programming.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't understand why you would still need 2 lines to D*Tivo when you have an HD DirecTV receiver.

Why not just one for each receiver, or am I missing something?

My Tivo is s-video so I only use it for recorded viewing. I use my HD receiver for HD and SD DirecTV viewing as I like it's component picture better.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Does the Zenith 520 simultaneously output both HD (ie on the 15 pin plug) and SD (svid or composite). I don't mean 2 different channels, but does the signal from the same channel come out on both outputs at once, or do you have to switch something on the Zenith?

2nd question...if I buy both a DirecTivo and a Zenith 520, do I only need to buy one full subscription to DTV? I wouldn't mind an additional monthly fee for the second unit if it was only $5 or so, but I don't want to have to pay this $200 fee I read about (if you get a unit but don't subscribe) for the second unit. I will subscribe to a high end DTV package in general.

If I read the above posts right, I need to run a single RG6 for the Zenith and a single RG6 for the DirecTivo from the oval antenna...or does the most comprehensive antenna with 3 LNBs (needed for HD I think) need 3 total cables. I can run three if needed.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Quote:
if I buy both a DirecTivo and a Zenith 520, do I only need to buy one full subscription to DTV? I wouldn't mind an additional monthly fee for the second unit if it was only $5
You pay the full monthly programming fee for the first receiver. Each additional receiver after that is an extra $5/month. If any one of your receivers is a D-Tivo, then it is another $5/month charge. This $5/month charge covers all of your D-Tivos if you have multiple. If you subscribe to the Total Choice Premier package or something close to that name, then D* waives the D-Tivo fee.

Quote:
If I read the above posts right, I need to run a single RG6 for the Zenith and a single RG6 for the DirecTivo from the oval antenna
No. 1 run to the Zenith and two runs to the D-Tivo. D-Tivos have dual tuners in them. That's how they record two show at the same time.

-Robert

·
Registered
98 Posts
I only control the receiver directly when I want to watch HDTV.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Robert, Its not impossible to run the additional RG6 cables, but with a 2 story house, it would be very difficult and expensive as well. i don't know how to run the line myself through the walls and under the floor from the 2nd floor. The wife isn't too thrilled about having a cable run along the outside of the house and having a hole drilled in so the cable can be run into the family room. So i guess its a messed up situation.

Jamson

·
Registered
10 Posts
So does anyone have a ballpark timeframe when an HD D*Tivo might become available? I can't seem to pull the trigger on the Samsung 160 with it's various problems, although with simultaneous S-Video out I understand a standalone Tivo would work pretty well with it. I've had a 53" HDTV sitting in the family room for weeks with no HD source - DVD's look nice to be sure, but I'm getting antsy.

·
Registered
75 Posts
tjosal, I was in your shoes about a week ago, I wouldn't hold my breath for the HD TIVO, might be a while. I would think about getting a HD STB now, and then upgrading later. So I'm trying out the Hughes E86 right now, and overall i'm happy with the PQ and the features. The guide sucks since it doesn't have the inset Picture preview, and of course this whole issue on the HD/SD switching. But HD is definitely where its at, and i'm sad that i waited this long to get HD... now there's no going back!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jamson8
Robert, Its not impossible to run the additional RG6 cables, but with a 2 story house, it would be very difficult and expensive as well. i don't know how to run the line myself through the walls and under the floor from the 2nd floor. The wife isn't too thrilled about having a cable run along the outside of the house and having a hole drilled in so the cable can be run into the family room. So i guess its a messed up situation.

Jamson

You could call a few contractors in your area for quotes (any satellite, telephone, etc. installer would have the right tools).

I pulled the coax from the 2nd story to the 1st story den in our house. It took about 1 - 1 1/2 hours to drill thru 2nd story header, cut a small sheetrock hole on the second floor, drill thru the 1st story header, and pull the wires to the den. I then hired a contractor to patch the 4" x 6" sheetrock hole on the 2nd florr and paint ($30). The job may be shorter for a knowledgable contractor. If you do have the work done, make sure that they drill the holes large enough and leave a pull string in the wall so additional wires can be run easily in the future. (This is important as our den now has 4 @ RG-6, 2 @ CAT5, and Rear Speaker wiring runs for HDSTB, D*TIVO, RF out to bedroom, Network, Phone, and IR extension).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John Carl
I don't understand why you would still need 2 lines to D*Tivo when you have an HD DirecTV receiver.

Why not just one for each receiver, or am I missing something?

My Tivo is s-video so I only use it for recorded viewing. I use my HD receiver for HD and SD DirecTV viewing as I like it's component picture better.
You need two lines to the D*Tivo to use the dual tuner capability. I recently added an HD DTV STB to my family room. I have "only" two DTV runs to that location, so I have lost the dual tuner capability. Hopefully, I will be able to get the third run down to that location, but I do miss the ability and flexibility the dual tuner Tivo provided. In my case, there are many programming conflicts which disappear with the dual tuner Tivo. Even with the extra STB for "live" feeds, the D*Tivo is the better way for me to watch SD programming (which includes all time shifted programming in my current configuration.)

So, I am hoping to add a third DTV feed (along with a roof top OTA antenna feed) to my family room. Then I will be in HD/TIVO bliss, at least until an HD TIVO comes out!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BigAl60015
I recently added an HD DTV STB to my family room. I have "only" two DTV runs to that location, so I have lost the dual tuner capability.
Al,

You may be able to use a second multiswitch (2 in/4 out) in the Family Room and prevent the hassle of running a 3rd coax. I'm not sure if you are using the oval dish for HD stuff, but if so, you would need multiswitches that are cascadable. Spaun is a good brand. Of course, if you are using only the round dish for the main 101 sat, than any multiswitch will work.

You can also combine the OTA feed with diplexers so that the coax would carry Directv from all three Sats and your OTA antenna. Hope this helps! :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.