AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience using a Philips series 1 TIVO via infrared or serial connection to change channels on a Zenith or Sony HD satellite receiver?

Thank you

·
Registered
75 Posts
Not specifically with the units that you have, but i've got my Sony SVR2000 series one tivo connected to my Hughes E86 HD receiever. I've got it via IR since my E86 doesn't have a serial connection, although I think that would be a much better route if you can. The IR blaster works fine, but there's just a slight delay (as you would expect) when changing channels. Unfortunately, as far as I know, you cannot have your Tivo change to HD channels. There's no way that tivo can input "-" when changing channels. So in order to get digital channels say "3-1" you have to input it with your Sat receiever remote. Tivo will change however to D* HD channels such as 198, 199, and 509. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand that TIVO does not accept HD inputs, but I would like to have my TIVO continue to record nonHD shows and this would require it to be able to change the channels by itself.

Thank you

·
Registered
66 Posts
Until this week I had a Hughes E86 box that was connected to my Tivo via Svideo and directly to my TV via component.

The channel changes are slow, and every once in a while they would miss (very rare). The E86 has to always be in SD mode (not HD) mode while recording to Tivo.

Works pretty well, but since I just got a new Tivo this week (HDRV2) when the HD box comes back from repair it will only be used to watch OTA and Sat HD without recording.

hope this helps

Brentley

·
Registered
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gjpearce
Does anyone have experience using a Philips series 1 TIVO via infrared or serial connection to change channels on a Zenith or Sony HD satellite receiver?
Yes. I have a 60 hour series 1 Tivo connected to a Sony HD-100 receiver. I use the serial cable to control it.

Works fine for DirecTV stations, but I have to use the Sony's timer for OTA digital. Tivo doesn't know about the OTA digital stations.

What I do is schedule a season pass on the Tivo with a few minutes padding on the front end. Then I create a timer entry on the Sony for the scheduled broadcast time. That way the Tivo changes to the satellite version of the channel and the Sony (subsequently) switches over to the OTA digital channel. This way I still get reasonable listings in Now Playing. Of course this doesn't work so well if the schedule changes.

Since I have a widescreen TV, I tell the Sony I have a 16:9 display. Then when I watch downconverted HD signals I set the TV to strech the picture across the full width of the display and I get the correct aspect ratio. If you set the Sony for a 4:3 display you will get black bars top&bottom for any HD broadcasts you record.

-- Doug

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.