AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seeking input from those of you with knowledge of the Philips DIRECTV Receiver/TiVO Recorder DSR6000R versus the Sony DirecTV/TiVO Combination Receiver SATT60.

I purchased the Phillips model and have used it for a few days. I have noticed, when jumping between channels, that sometimes the picture will go black for some time before returning a channel. In general, channel switching is slow.

Does the Sony improve on these problems? I am most interested to know if the Sony model is quicker between channels. The Sony is $200 after rebate while the Phillips was $100 total, so I'm only going to return the Phillips for the Sony if there is a significant different in channel speeds and usage.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
The general opinion appears to be that they are about the same.

I feel your pain......

·
Registered
79 Posts
There are just a few (minor) differences.

Color: Sony is silver, Philips is black

Remote:Sony has a more 'traditional', Philips has the peanut shaped remote

Save to VCR: Sony can control some Sony VCRs a little more easily when saving shows to tape.

IMHO none of these differences warrant the $100 premium *after* rebate that you pay for a Sony. You can see my preference from the signature below. :D

As for the slow changes, remember that TiVo only shows you recorded programming. When you change channels it starts recording and a moment later starts playing that recording. This delay is in addition to the time it takes to switch satellite channels.

Once you have you TiVo set up to record the stuff you like (i.e. season passes, wish lists, & suggestions) you may stop watching live TV entirely. This is what happened to me and many of the users on the TiVo part of this forum. Once that happens the lag in changing channel will not matter at all.

Good luck & enjoy your TiVo.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input, Todd. One follow up:

I'm getting a "popping" noise when I am doing some channel surfing. I've read on these forums that this is a common problem, with both the Sony and Phillips units. Are you familiar with this? Is TiVo working to correct it?

TiVo customer service said to return the unit, but it sounds like a common problem.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I never experienced a popping noise personally so I can't help. You might try posting that question in the TiVo part of this forum. Somebody there might have an answer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.