AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the DVD recorder forum, but it was suggested I try here instead...

Long time Humax/Tivo Series 2 user. Upgrading from 25" Sony CRT to Panasonic 54V10, and switching from Comcast cable to FIOS.

We're trying to decide whether to purchase a new TivoHD, and eventually replacing a 1TB internal HD, or going with the FIOS-supplied Home Media DVR. I really like the concept of the home media DVR and the ability to watch on another set, but am concerned about the 20GB +/1 storage limit. On the flip side, in order to have this feature with Tivo, we would need to purchase 2-Tivos, not an inexpensive venture. Of course, we could start with 1 Tivo and buy a 2nd later, or move the non-HD Tivo we have to the 2nd set for now.

Any thoughts on Tivo vs the FIOS-supplied DVR? How about the quality of performance and service on the DVR versus the Tivo? Also, am I correct that to take advantage of video on demand content, I would need to get a basic FIOS box even if I go the TivoHD route?

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
24 Posts
The 20hr storage limit is harsh. Hard to get used to, and only leaves enough room for about 6 HD movies and a few shows.

Even worse are the HDMI issues the Verizon DVR has.

As a current user of the Verizon DVR, I would highly recommend going with Tivo.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
AFAIK all FIOS tranmissions are QAM digital and are MPEG2 encoded so you could not use a Tivo2 which only supports analog input if you have FIOS.
https://www3.tivo.com/store/boxdetai...&boxsku=R64980

If you go the HD Tivo route you need to make sure Verizon will supply a one way cable card in order for you to receive encrypted digital channels in addition to the unencrypted QAM digital channels avaialble from FIOS for your Zip code.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvfan2005 /forum/post/16950161

With FiOS you'll probably need an attenuator to prevent pixellation.

That is no longer necessary.

TiVo addressed that with the 11.0d software (i.e. new tuner firmware/drivers). The TiVo's tuners now appear to be at least as robust as those in the Motorola DVR, if not more so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12 /forum/post/16940856

I posted this in the DVD recorder forum, but it was suggested I try here instead...

Long time Humax/Tivo Series 2 user. Upgrading from 25" Sony CRT to Panasonic 54V10, and switching from Comcast cable to FIOS.

We're trying to decide whether to purchase a new TivoHD, and eventually replacing a 1TB internal HD, or going with the FIOS-supplied Home Media DVR.

I can't imagine you would be satisfied with the FiOS DVR after using a TiVo, but you can't be certain until you try it. You might start with one Verizon DVR and one STB.

Amazon.com gives you 30 days to return the TivoHD, and TiVo gives you 30 days to cancel service for a full refund. Verizon allows you to ship their DVR back at any time using a prepaid shipping label.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12 /forum/post/16940856

We're trying to decide whether to purchase a new TivoHD, and eventually replacing a 1TB internal HD, or going with the FIOS-supplied Home Media DVR. I really like the concept of the home media DVR and the ability to watch on another set, but am concerned about the 20GB +/1 storage limit. On the flip side, in order to have this feature with Tivo, we would need to purchase 2-Tivos, not an inexpensive venture. Of course, we could start with 1 Tivo and buy a 2nd later, or move the non-HD Tivo we have to the 2nd set for now.

Any thoughts on Tivo vs the FIOS-supplied DVR? How about the quality of performance and service on the DVR versus the Tivo? Also, am I correct that to take advantage of video on demand content, I would need to get a basic FIOS box even if I go the TivoHD route?

Thanks,

Mark

I moved from a Tivo 2 to FIOS about three years ago. I've only used the Home Media DVR and the regular HD DVR's since, and have been very happy with it. IMO it depends on your usage. If you are only interested in time shifting / recording TV shows and don't care about long term storage, it's a good system. It has improved over time, but still has issues (storage capacity, etc..) that need to be worked out. I think it compares well with the Tivo user interface, mostly on speed, but suffers in other comparisons. One plus is that Verizon has show a committment to improve it, so I expect better as time passes.

If you're accustomed to a lot of storage then you want to go Tivo, since even if the size of the drive is expanded, it probably won't go to the levels possible with Tivo. The Media features on the FIOS Home Media DVR are nice and expanding (facebook access, video streaming, etc.) but you have to see how important they are to you.

On demand is not available through a Tivo unit, so you are right that to get that, you'd need an HD STB. There are definitely many satisfied Tivo HD users on FIOS, just as there are for their DVR, it's really personal preference and the ability to pay up front to save later.

Either way, the good thing is that you'll get great PQ and AQ. I just upgraded my receiver and speakers and can say that both regular broadcasts and on-demand (Watchmen was the latest) are incredible.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Just moved from Dish to Fios. Thought about moving back to dish. Fios makes it so costly to move to TIVO(after the initial installation). The Mcard require a $80 fee for the m to insert two cards(one for each Tivo). The storage capacity is terrible.

Can't stand their DVR limited capacity. Dish is a lot cheaper. Although my wife thinks FIOS offers a better 3-d image on our Pioneer 151.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerialsound /forum/post/16982290

Just got off the phone with Verizon and the retention people are awful in Wash DC area. Im heading back to Dish....maybe direct-tv. Now I need to tell my wife.

There is no [traditional] retention department at FiOS. They offer the same standalone and bundle discounts to everyone. There are no special discounts for anyone. They are authorized to give credits for customers that have problems, but that's it.

If you plan to stick with FiOS Internet or Verizon telephone service, you'll be hard pressed to find a better deal on TV. My Internet plan costs $54.99/mo by itself, but I pay just $25/mo extra to add FiOS HD Extreme with a bundle. No one else offers 60+ HD channels for anything close to $25/mo. Now, you do have to pay extra for the equipment, which can add up fast if you are renting several of their boxes.

Edit: Prices did recently go up. The 15/5 tier costs $44.99/mo and the bundle with FiOS HD Extreme adds an extra $40. The 25/15 tier costs $64.99/mo and FiOS HD Extreme adds an extra $30. Customers in NJ and NY get a $5 to $10 discount off those rates.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have the double play 20/5 + extreme hd @ 79.00(total cost with 2 dvrs + taxes + other costs-- $143.00).

Dish 200(@65) + comcast internet(32), both include taxes/incidental charges.

It cost 50% more with fios and dish is willing to give me more off to stay. Sad because Fios picture is very nice.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
If that doesn't require you to buy new equipment, and you can get Comcast Internet for $32, that sounds like a good deal. Where I am, Comcast "Economy" (1Mbps) costs $24.95/mo, "Performance" (6Mbps + Powerboost) costs $42.95/mo, "Blast" (16Mbps + Powerboost) costs $52.95/mo, and "Ultra" (22Mbps + Powerboost) costs $62.95/mo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.