AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I run my MITS HDTV receiver thru my TIVO unit to record non HDTV signals. I purchased a second HD unit to view HD in my theater, but don't want to lose the recording capability of my TIVO unit for regular broadcasts.

Any comments/advice would be appreciated.

Bill

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
the tivo only works with NTSC. you cant do that. your only option to timeshift HD material is a computer based card called a Hipix. it can record OTA stuff.

Edit: i can't read apparently :)

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
ADebar -

Read his post. He's not trying to record HD....just SD signals from his HD receiver, which is possible.

If I did this with my DTC-100, I would have to make sure that the HD output/fetch button was always off, otherwise it would not send out a signal through the S-video....besides that, or works just like a regular SD receiver. Not sure on the Mits HD receiver though, but I'm almost sure it works in the same fashion.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
The HD5 will output SD when the Input button is toggled to SD. It will not output HD and SD at the same time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all for your responses to date. All I want to do is record the SD from the Mits to the TIVO, and be able to use the HD portion thru my projector.

Will I need any special switches to do this, or can I run a cable between the two units, or what would I have to do.

Hope I'm not making this too complicated.

Bill

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mahoneybill
Thanks to all for your responses to date. All I want to do is record the SD from the Mits to the TIVO, and be able to use the HD portion thru my projector.

Will I need any special switches to do this, or can I run a cable between the two units, or what would I have to do.

Hope I'm not making this too complicated.

Bill
You're making it complicated by not indicating whether or not you want to do both at the same time...If you do, the answer is no. If you don't, the answer is yes.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Component out goes to your projector to watch HD.

Svideo and audio L/R out goes to the TIVO to record SD.

You can't use both output streams at the same time.

You will need to manual push an input button to switch to SD on the HD receiver. The TIVO can not control this function and if the receiver is set for HD output when it wants to record, you will get a black screen with audio.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
aviator 99 : Thanks for the feedback. I only want to do one at a time.

Jon: Thanks for the tips on connections, and the input button.

I appreciate both of your responses, this is my first post to the forum and you both have been very helpful in giving me a solution, and answering my questions.

Bill

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think the earlier posts have pretty well covered it, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents...

First, I routinely record shows from my Sony HD-100 reciever on my stand alone Tivo. Because I have 2 DirecTivos, I use the stand alone Tivo for cable (local chanells not caried by DirecTV) and for manual recordings of downconverted HD shows.

Why record downconverted shows not just the regular analog broadcast?

Answer: to watch them in widescreen (and to avoid snow/static).

I have a 16x9 rear-projection tv and really like to get widescreen content whenever possible.

I don't know about your reciever, but my Sony can be told if you have a 4:3 or a 16:9 television. If you tell it you have a 16:9 television it will output widescreen images (sort of like an anamorphic DVD), even if you use the S-Video connection.

The only gotcha is that I have to also program the Sony reciever to tune to the digital stations for recording. The Tivo doesn't understand chanels like 4.1, 80.3, etc.

Have fun,

-- Doug

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Doug. I appreciate the extra info, and tips.

Bill

·
Registered
345 Posts
You can also tell your Tivo to record the HD channels, like 509 and 543. Even though it wont record in HD, its still formatted to fit your screen and will be a better quality image.

Steve

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Steve.

bill:)

·
Registered
345 Posts
I forgot to mention that to record your OTA HD locals with your Tivo (the ones that have a dash like 3-1), just wait for the show to start recording on the regular channel and then using your HD receivers remote, manually enter the digitial channel. Tivo wont realize that you pulled a switch-a-roo, and you will get the digital image, which once again is better then the SD side and is formatted to fit your screen.

Glad to help,

Steve

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.