AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else frustrated with the software Tivo solutions out there? I've been using ATI's packaged Gemstar guide+ app and it works ok, but getting the updated programming info over the net has been very unreliable. Also, the ATI scheduler has a way of finding conflicts where there are none and refusing to record.

Anyways, my thought is using the epg of a directv receiver (or other external digital receiver) combined with the receiver's "one touch VCR record" feature that sends IR commands (record/stop) to a VCR. This way, I could use DirectTV's nifty epg and scheduler and have it start an mpeg recorder on the PC. The PC's tuner would not be needed, which is a good thing because that too is inferior to the set-top digital tuner.

It sounds like a great thing -- free epg service with a high quality interface, that is constantly up-to-date, while recording on an HTPC. The one drawback is that the filenames would not contain the program name -- they'd be like "noname1.mpg" and you'd have to rename them by hand... That's the only drawback I can see.

Anyone out there doing something like this? And I realize this can be done with a DirecTivo, but recording on an HTPC is the point of the excercise...

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.