AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://rss.com.com/2100-1041-995932....feed&subj=news

... As previously reported, the Home Media Option software will let the TiVo boxes access and distribute content such as music files or digital photos stored on the hard drives of Apple Computer's Macs or on Windows PCs, streaming them to a television set or stereo via wired or wireless home networks.

The $99 upgrade, available from TiVo's Web site, will also accommodate online scheduling, allowing Series2 owners to set their machines to record programs via the site, the company said.

· Registered
222 Posts
now this IS news. I had not heard about this before. :rolleyes: :D

all joking aside, I could give a crap as to whether or not I can access and play my mp3 files via my Replay or Tivo.

· Registered
4,619 Posts
I have to agree with Justin here. The only thing I really care to stream is mpeg2 recordings. I would go for Tivo if you could easily stream between multiple units and from PC->Tivo though I would still really miss CA... oh, never mind, Tivo is still way behind :(

· Registered
222 Posts
Exactly, you can get software for your ps2 that does WAAAAY more than the Tivo does. The audio feature on the Tivo Home Media Option is just plain lame...it might as well not be there.

· Registered
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GadgetGuy
I think this is a good post. It shows what a networked PVR can do.
In addition it shows what it shouldn't waste its time doing as well. Anything truly useful that the Tivo Home Media Option can do for the $99 (and subsequent $49) upcharge has already been done at no premium by the ReplayTV. The ability to play mp3's on my TV is just plain stupid and the interface just isn't convenient enough even if it's hooked up to the audio system. I sure as hell don't want to have to turn on the TV to access music on the network through the Tivo. It's neat in a "wow, it's possible" kind of way but beyond that it's just stupid stupid stupid.

· Registered
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin526
I sure as hell don't want to have to turn on the TV to access music on the network through the Tivo. It's neat in a "wow, it's possible" kind of way but beyond that it's just stupid stupid stupid.
How do you normally select which mp3 to play on your stereo?

It seems with the number of mp3s people have and playlist management

you have to have some interface. Either boot up your pc or turn your tv

on, it seems about the same to me. Actually the tv starts up faster than

the pc.

· Registered
483 Posts
On my stereo to choose which MP3 to listen to I use the remote for my Creative Labs Nomad to change the track.... I just have a few playlists setup I like and choose which one I want when I turn it on... but really.... Until you get a unit with a dedicated LCD and a decent interface with remote, MP3's on the stereo are a pain in the ass... Now then again my X-Box can save CD's to it's harddrive and while it has a cord it does technically have a "remote" if you call the controller that... There is so little reason for a Tivo to play MP3's streamed over a network, it's just a bullet point on the feature list trying to justify a $100 pricetag of the option.

· Registered
433 Posts
Since my replay is part of my entertainment system, I would love for it to be able to play mp3s as the new Tivo HMO now allows. I already watch/listen to the music channels available to me. Being able to play my own music would be a great step up. For those that connect their replay directly to a TV, perhaps such a feature would seem pointless. But when a replay is integrated into a entertainment system, IMHO it would be great. I'd love to not have to deal with CD's anymore.

· Registered
3,686 Posts
I'd like it better if it had a digital audio output.

No offense or anything, but even though it's just playing MP3s, I'm not real hot about playing music through a pair of DACs that were originally just there to do TV quality sound.

(Unless someone (not on my plonk list) who's really jiggy with TiVo Series 2 hardware can come say something reassuring about the DACs in a Series 2 - like "Burr Brown" or something like that. Then, I might even be inclined to buy one.)

· Registered
6,207 Posts
I'm going to have to disagree with some, but agree with others. I see points here that I agree with and other points that I don't agree with. On the whole, I think a few of you are right, but some are wrong.

· Registered
6,490 Posts
Bet you didn't know Randy was a politician....

· Registered
4,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaJoos
Wow. Are your other 5973 posts like this?
believe it or not most of them are actually worse, unlike my 2000+ posts of pure quality

(no flamming [sic] or spam of any kind)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.