AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm watching undeclared and there are 2 TIVO product metions on it. There's a unit in Hal's (ERic's dad) entertainment center and they have Adam Sandler talking about it in a phone conversation. Just makes me wonder why doesn't replay have anything like this?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Dennis Miller mentioned Tivo on Monday Night Football this week.

It's like Kleenex; people know the product category by one of the products trademarks.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Yup, it's becoming synonymous with a DVR. Our neighbors came over and said "Oh, you have a TiVo!" When I explained that it's a ReplayTV box, they basically said, "Same thing."

Oh well. At least the PVR industry is rolling forward!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by alyosha
it's all good - Tivo will go bankrupt (it is not yet, so don't start flaming me) paying for all this publicity and marketing, replayTV will make new products and take advantage of this...
SonicBlue could wind up doing as well as Napster, after this lawsuit.

Or maybe SonicBlue will go bankrupt, or kill off the ReplayTV division. SonicBlue hasn't exactly been performing spectacularly, financially speaking...

Once again, despite the FUD, Tivo is still an independent company, like ReplayTV used to be before SonicBlue acquired them. What makes you think that Tivo would just go belly up, considering their recurring income from customers, larger installed base, investments and partnerships with companies like Sony, Lexus, NBC, DirecTV, AOL/TimeWarner, etc.?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by alyosha
Brettstah, that was an attempt at humor and keeping you on your toes.
Was there any doubt? :)

·
Registered
535 Posts
BrettStah, how much tivo spends to acquire each new customer? What is the number - marketing expenses over the life of the company (including those great partnerships like one with Sony, loss on every box sold) divided by the customer base?

At 6.16$ per share it is at 92% off of the all time high and at 80% off of the IPO price, that's after the recent rally...

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
No idea... but as this chart shows, I don't really see Sonic Blue doing any better...

PS We're not supposed to discuss stocks here, which is a main reason I've just posted links to charts...

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Although I abandoned Tivo for a Replay, a SS, and a 501 long ago, when I speak to non-believers I still find it easier to say "I Tivo-ed that show" than anything else. Sad, isn't it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TomCat
Although I abandoned Tivo for a Replay, a SS, and a 501 long ago, when I speak to non-believers I still find it easier to say "I Tivo-ed that show" than anything else. Sad, isn't it.
No, what's sad is the us vs them mentality that permeates the discussions here (both Replay and Tivo forums). Be happy with your PVR, Tivo and Replay aren't the real threats to each other, both have their place and are managed by relatively fair minded companies. The enemy is M$, not being a fair minded company, even relatively speaking. So lets bury the hatchet, join hands grab the nearest UTV owner and try to slap some sense into the silly buggers! :D

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AndyK

No, what's sad is the us vs them mentality that permeates the discussions here (both Replay and Tivo forums). Be happy with your PVR, Tivo and Replay aren't the real threats to each other, both have their place and are managed by relatively fair minded companies. The enemy is M$, not being a fair minded company, even relatively speaking. So lets bury the hatchet, join hands grab the nearest UTV owner and try to slap some sense into the silly buggers! :D
Yes AndyK! Actually I have Replay and Tivo and I love them both. Let's just say it took a little more work to love my (free) Tivo. I had to free it from the mothership first. I'll just put it this way... I'm very pleased with one company and not so happy with the other I will mention no names I don't wanna stir up BrettStah. But I will say this I think Tivo stepped over the line this time defacing the UI it's a hornets nest over there. And pop up nags for all that foil your remote macros. And I think some joker may have released a fix for them that made the corrupted menu items permanent. :( Well we don't want to start this up again like Andy said both are nice machines. And work well together (as you as you control your own Tivo) ;) Now that UTV...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.