AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading this board now for over a month and I want to say thanks for all the great ideas and knowledge displayed on this board. I purchased a Panny E10S thanks to a lot I have read (especially vferrari). It works great for doing my VHS to DVD and the DVR to DVD transfers. I however am in need of deciding between getting a TIVO box w/ a Burner or a E50S or another non-tivo recorder with TV Guide.

From what I have read there is a problem with some of the Pioneers with downloading the TV Guide information especially from Satellite receivers (please correct me if I am wrong). I am going out of town in a few weeks for about 9 days and I wanted to purchase a device that could record the football games and such for me while I am gone and where I would be able to then remove commercials and burn off the dvd.

I am not concerned with the monthly price for the TIVO service, I am more concerned about usability. If I am not providing enough information please tell me what is missing so I can fill in the blanks..

Thanks..

·
Registered
427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolmeister7
I have been reading this board now for over a month and I want to say thanks for all the great ideas and knowledge displayed on this board. I purchased a Panny E10S thanks to a lot I have read (especially vferrari). It works great for doing my VHS to DVD and the DVR to DVD transfers. I however am in need of deciding between getting a TIVO box w/ a Burner or a E50S or another non-tivo recorder with TV Guide.

From what I have read there is a problem with some of the Pioneers with downloading the TV Guide information especially from Satellite receivers (please correct me if I am wrong). I am going out of town in a few weeks for about 9 days and I wanted to purchase a device that could record the football games and such for me while I am gone and where I would be able to then remove commercials and burn off the dvd.

I am not concerned with the monthly price for the TIVO service, I am more concerned about usability. If I am not providing enough information please tell me what is missing so I can fill in the blanks..

Thanks..
There's a lot to consider here, but one thing for sure - Tivo's features and reliability are far superior to this first release of the TVGOS. Implementing a guide is complicated, and it took Tivo at least a couple of years to get it right. With TVGOS being a free service involving several 3rd parties, and no paying customers or stock holders to apply pressure, I think I'll keep my Tivo awhile longer. As for which hardware, you are really choosing between features and convenience. Standalone recorders will have more features and probably burn better quality DVDs, and the combo unit will be more convenient. Maybe someone who has a combo unit can comment specifically on these units.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had the same dilemma when I made my purchase. With what you want to do, neither is a perfect solution. The TIVO with recorder has an excellent EPG, but you will not be able to edit commercials prior to burning to a disk. The stand alone recorder allows the editing, but the TV Guide system does not work with satellite.....you would have to set up manual recordings, much like existing VCRs. Personnally, I went with both. I got a 40GB TIVO for normal timeshifting, and I bought a XS34 for recording shows and programming that I might want to archive on DVD, or watch on other TVs in the house. If your primary goal is recordiing sports, I suggest that the non tivo unit would be a better way to go due to editing capabilities.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Coolmeister 7,

What is your current television source? Regular Analog cable?/Digital Cable?/Satellite?

If it is cable, check and see if your local cable co. rents out a DVR to it's customers? They probably do for about $10/month max(And by the way, most REQUIRE you to have at least the lowest tier of digital cable to get it). I don't know about there editing capabilities on the cable co's version. I think some have it, and some don't. If you find out the model #, I am sure you could go into the PVR Forum and ask(or elsewhere)

At $10/month, the cable co's DVR would cost you $120/year. This is like 1/4 of the cost of going out and buying a HDD DVD Recorder. And since you already have a Panny ES-10, you could easily run an S-video cable out to the DVD Recorder to permanently record any game you want.

Also the cable co's will also upgrade there equipment every couple of years or so, and then you can turn in your current DVR for the latest model. Very Easy and no hassle.

Granted this is taking into account you have cable.

If I had to choose between a Panasonic EH-50(100GB HDD/No TIVO) and a Toshiba XS34(TIVO HDD) I would go with the Panasonic simply for the editing features. TIVO's user interface is hands down superior to anything out there. No question. Very easy to use and understand. But you can't edit anything, which kind of stinks. The panny user interface will take a little more work to understand and use(not as intuitive), but once you get the hang of it, it becomes really easy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE
Coolmeister 7,

What is your current television source? Regular Analog cable?/Digital Cable?/Satellite?

If it is cable, check and see if your local cable co. rents out a DVR to it's customers? They probably do for about $10/month max(And by the way, most REQUIRE you to have at least the lowest tier of digital cable to get it). I don't know about there editing capabilities on the cable co's version. I think some have it, and some don't. If you find out the model #, I am sure you could go into the PVR Forum and ask(or elsewhere)

At $10/month, the cable co's DVR would cost you $120/year. This is like 1/4 of the cost of going out and buying a HDD DVD Recorder. And since you already have a Panny ES-10, you could easily run an S-video cable out to the DVD Recorder to permanently record any game you want.

Also the cable co's will also upgrade there equipment every couple of years or so, and then you can turn in your current DVR for the latest model. Very Easy and no hassle.

Granted this is taking into account you have cable.

If I had to choose between a Panasonic EH-50(100GB HDD/No TIVO) and a Toshiba XS34(TIVO HDD) I would go with the Panasonic simply for the editing features. TIVO's user interface is hands down superior to anything out there. No question. Very easy to use and understand. But you can't edit anything, which kind of stinks. The panny user interface will take a little more work to understand and use(not as intuitive), but once you get the hang of it, it becomes really easy.
I just ditched the dish. I got sick of Dish Network (for a lot of reasons) and now I have comcast and it's DVR FREAKING SUCKS. When you set to record on it to extend beyond the time scheduled (unlike the great dish dvr) it doesn't extend. It's not a space issue, it has plenty of space. It even stops recording before the scheduled time. If the dvr worked well then that is all I would need. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian12773
I had the same dilemma when I made my purchase. With what you want to do, neither is a perfect solution. The TIVO with recorder has an excellent EPG, but you will not be able to edit commercials prior to burning to a disk. The stand alone recorder allows the editing, but the TV Guide system does not work with satellite.....you would have to set up manual recordings, much like existing VCRs. Personnally, I went with both. I got a 40GB TIVO for normal timeshifting, and I bought a XS34 for recording shows and programming that I might want to archive on DVD, or watch on other TVs in the house. If your primary goal is recordiing sports, I suggest that the non tivo unit would be a better way to go due to editing capabilities.
I am leading to the non tivo device and I am leaning toward the 50h panny.. what advantage do you see of the XS34 over the panny? :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have never used the Panny, but from my research before buying, I would say there is little advantage to one over the other, I would do a feature comparison and see if one has something the other doesn't that you like. I went with the tosh because 1) it had a larger hard drive for the money, and 2) I have a tosh TV.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolmeister7
If by usability you mean the interface of the machine, definitely go for the Tivo.

Though the missing feature that got me to get a Toshiba XS32 (pre-TV Guide on Screen, though I don't miss it) to use ALONG with my Tivos is the fact that I can edit recordings before burning to DVD.

You can't do that on the Tivo/DVD recorders. Even when you need to add padding before/after a show (because the stations give bogus start/end times), when you dub to DVD you get the ENTIRE recording.

Also, you have to do all recordings in one step -- you can't do one recording this week, then another recording next week, to the same DVD-R. You can do this with other recorders (and I do it often -- though if my recorder breaks I'm kind of stuck unless I get another of the same brand to finalize the DVDs).

Don't get me wrong -- again, Tivo is BY FAR ahead of everything else I've personally used in terms of reliability and usability. But since it didn't do the one feature I wanted, I bought something else to use along with the Tivos.

(That's why I don't miss not having TV Guide On Screen, I just look things up in the Tivo's guide and program them on the XS32.. But most of the recordings on my XS32 are repeating recordings.)

·
Banned
2,239 Posts
I think by far the best setup to have, if you have or are considering satellite, is a Directivo, which gives you uncompressed digital quality to the Tivo hard drive (unlike a standalone Tivo, where the signal is re-encoded from dish to Tivo box). That way you have a hard drive for time shifting and temporary storage of recordings with no loss in quality. You get the superior and easy to use Tivo interface so you don't have to deal with the TV Guide crap. It couldn't be easier to schedule recordings, and you can schedule recordings 21 days out instead of being limited to 7 for TVGOS. Then pair up the Directivo with a separate DVD recorder. I'd recommend one with a hard drive so you can dump recordings you want to archive from the Directivo, and edit them on the DVD recorder hard drive. That gives you 2 hard drives for storage and editing, and you keep your Directivo hard drive freed up by transferring them to the recorder hard drive for editing. Those Toshiba DVD recorders with Tivo in them are expensive and don't allow much, if any, editing capabilities.

You already have a non HDD recorder--return it if you still can and get a HDD recorder. You will never say--I wish I didn't have this darn hard drive. IMO, this is the optimal setup for both time shifting and archiving of recordings.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
As the owner of machines with 4 different types of EPG's (TiVo, cable company DVR, TVGOS, and no EPG whatsoever aside from VCR+), I agree with mattack that the others simply cannot touch TiVo for the usability and interface of the machine. Definitely worth the extra monthly fee.

The best thing about the TiVo is the ability to set the "Season Pass." You can set the machine to record every episode of your favorite TV show, even if its assigned time slot changes or its assigned channel changes. That's something cable company DVR's and TVGOS are incapable of dealing with.

If you are a fan of FOX programming, it's especially useful: if you want to record every episode of COPS, it will search out and do so despite the fact that this show is broadcast on no less than THREE different channels (local FOX station, FX, and CourtTV). Same with other FOX programs like The Simpsons or 24. If that sounds like programming overload, you can limit the Season Pass to record one channel's version of that program only, and you can also limit it to record first-run episodes only.

You can also set it to search for programs by title or subject, and remember it for the next time such programs are aired. For example, if you want to catch the next time the History Channel airs "Band of Brothers" you can set it to do this, and will record it the next time it's aired, which is several times per year. Try doing that with TVGOS.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonk
Those Toshiba DVD recorders with Tivo in them are expensive and don't allow much, if any, editing capabilities.
They don't have any editing capabilities. I said that in the post directly above yours.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonDawg
As the owner of machines with 4 different types of EPG's (TiVo, cable company DVR, TVGOS, and no EPG whatsoever aside from VCR+), I agree with mattack that the others simply cannot touch TiVo for the usability and interface of the machine. Definitely worth the extra monthly fee.

The best thing about the TiVo is the ability to set the "Season Pass." You can set the machine to record every episode of your favorite TV show, even if its assigned time slot changes or its assigned channel changes. That's something cable company DVR's and TVGOS are incapable of dealing with.

If you are a fan of FOX programming, it's especially useful: if you want to record every episode of COPS, it will search out and do so despite the fact that this show is broadcast on no less than THREE different channels (local FOX station, FX, and CourtTV). Same with other FOX programs like The Simpsons or 24. If that sounds like programming overload, you can limit the Season Pass to record one channel's version of that program only, and you can also limit it to record first-run episodes only.
Ok, the original poster is talking about satellite receivers.. So he should go the DirecTivo combination route (even the HD version, which is much cheaper nowadays). I originally was going to posit that he should buy lifetime instead of monthly, but that's not relevant for DirecTivos.

Season Passes are channel specific. When you say "even if its assigned time slot changes or its assigned channel changes", that's only true if, for example, MTV changes from channel 45 to channel 67. Then all MTV-specific season passes move when the programming lineup changes.

But otherwise, season passes are purposely per channel -- that's why it's only recording Cops on FOX not on Court TV. You can use auto-recording wishlists to record shows by title, guest star, etc.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonDawg

Nonsense...

My TimeWarner box does exactly that. It's not exclusive to Tivo, that sounds like disinformation that TIVO is putting out...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.