AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have purchased a 38310, which I love so far. Direct TV is coming tomorrow. I've had a TiVo for over a year now. How do you make TiVo work with the 38310? It has no video outputs. Can a TiVo box passthrough the DirectTV signal? Do I have to buy a Philips Direct TiVo and not use the built in Direct TV receiver?

Joe

[This message has been edited by joemonty (edited 09-12-2001).]

·
Registered
201 Posts
Joe,

I think this was covered once before and the answer was to get a second DirecTv receiver ($5 monthly) for your SA tivo.The RCA TV as you know has no video out. If you were to get a DirecTivo you have to activate it as a second receiver for it to work at all. I have a Dtivo and my wife says it's the best piece of electronics I had ever purchased.

Ira

------------------

Ira Solod [email protected]

Pioneer Elite 510, Lexicon DC-1 ver.4 DTS, Parasound 1205A 200W x [email protected] ohms, M&K S150THX LCR, M&K Surround-55 rears, Klipsch PSW-10 sub, Pioneer DV-F727, Quadscan Pro, DTC-100, JVC 7600 SVHS, Camelot Dragon 5.1, Power Wedge Ultra 111, Monster Power 2500, All homemade interconnects made mostly from RG-6QS

·
Registered
721 Posts
I agree that I would buy a DIRECTIVO and mate it with the 38310. This will give you the ability to record the satellite feed directly ( 35 hours at quality comparable to the Best quality you get with the standalone now ). You would obviously need two cables ( one into the TV itself and one feed into the DIRECTIVO, actually two after the second tuner is activated this month! ) I would never use a standalone now that I have used the DIRECTIVO since last Christmas unless you record off OTA antenna now.

The TV feed will get you the HD stuff ( HBO and HDNET ) and the TIVO cabling will get you the standard def programs with all the trick capabilities. You can also record the standard HBO while you watch the HD fee on 509. If you miss something on the HD feed, you can always replay from the TIVO to see what you missed.

And, sell the standalone to someone else if you need to or find another TV to use it with.

Just an opinion.

Jeff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.